Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I got a 17.00% rate of return in the last 12 months on my 401k. Granted, I only have $4900 in there right now, but I'm still really happy with that and will continue to be even if I get half of that this year. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I just payed off the last $864.38 of credit card debt. I expect my next statement to be nonzero, and have a couple bucks of accrued interest from this last month to pay off, but other than that, I have zero credit card debt, and it feels great! First time I've been cc debt free since 2004 or 2005.

It kind of makes me sick to think about how much interest I've paid over that amount of time.

edit: poo poo, didn't mean to double post.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 14, 2013

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
That's awesome. Congrats. What kind of car?

Per the recommendation of this forum, I've started placing some money from each paycheck into a separate account for car related expenses. It's not a lot, but every dollar counts. While right now the main focus is putting money into the car I currently own (if it runs, why bother getting a new one?), hopefully sometime down the line that fund will be dedicated to purchasing a new car instead of keeping an old car running.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Just sat on hold for close to an hour to close my BOA credit card. I opened it a few years ago to transfer a few thousand dollars to it at 0%. Then after a year it went up to 29.99%, and I usually only made minimum payments on it. Finally paid off the remaining ~ $900 about 2 months ago, was feeling good, and then got hit with a $99 annual fee. Called them up, told them I wanted to close the card because of the fee. They closed the card and removed the fee.

It's a card I never used, and it wasn't my oldest account either. Glad to finally be rid of it.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Edit: This wasn't that great of an improvement on second thought, but to summarize, car was jacked up, but because I planned for emergencies, I was able to pay for repairs with cash without depleting my savings and am still in an ok position to cover any other emergencies that may arise. Even just a year ago, if the same kind of major expense came up, I would have had to rack up for credit card debt.

I guess throwing my tax returns into emergency funds/savings was a better idea than buying a 15 inch macbook pro with retina display.

Fake edit: I also quit smoking a month and a half ago. I figure I've saved ~$125 so far.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 23, 2013

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I went home for lunch today and I had an envelope from the people servicing one of my student loans. I opened it up, and they knocked $400 off for making on time payments for 36 months straight.

I still owe over $7000 on just that loan, but its still nice and unexpected.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Ever since I started budgeting my money better by using YNAB, and living on last months pay checks, I've stopped noticing what day payday is. I used to always know exactly how many days it was until payday, because I was living paycheck to paycheck and needed the money right away. The last few paydays I've received my pay stub at work and thought "Oh yeah, payday today. Huh."

It's a weird feeling, but I like it.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Still have a ways to go, but creating a monthly budget and sticking to it has helped me make some significant progress in paying down debts and saving for my future. With a three paycheck month coming up in July, I'm hoping to pay off one of my student loans and begin chipping away at others.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 4, 2014

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The first one is the Net Worth report in YNAB.

Yup. Second one is from my credit unions website, but if you sign up with internet banking with them, they basically set you up with a credit karma account. I'm not sure if that's what it looks like when you sign in directly through credit karma's website, however.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I upped my 401k contribution today. :woop:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My brother sent me a text with a picture of Mint earlier this year where his net worth was like a dollar with the caption "I'm finally worth nothing!"

It's gotta be a good feeling, someday I'll get to have it. :sigh:

I long for this day.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I have $5000 in my savings account. I love seeing that number go up instead of going down. It looks like there is a pretty good chance that by the end of the year I'll have a net worth above zero!

Also, after 5 years at my job, my 401k is finally fully vested.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Just paid off the remaining balance on one of my student loans. Feels great. Time to start chipping away at the others.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I just got a new job that pays better. My last job was willing to pay me more to keep me, but the thing that really sealed the deal for me is the benefits at my new job. They contribute 3% of my salary to a 403(b) regardless of whether or not I contribute anything, and beyond that they match up to 5%, so they'll contribute up to 8%. My last job would only match 50% up to 3% of my salary, so at most 1.5% of my annual sallary. Plus more vacation, paid sick days, more paid holidays, way better insurance, and year end profit sharing.

On top of that, old job really didn't want me to leave, so they switched me to part time/hourly and are going to let me go in whenever I want to review the work of the person replacing me to help with the transition. Basically they're going to let me go in and chit chat with the people I liked working with for $20/hr.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I'm starting the new year off right, with a positive net worth finally. I'm hoping to get my student loans paid off completely this year now that I have a higher paying job and a second job providing a little extra income, but it's still about 12k in student debt. Well see.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Quit my job and came back after the new job wasn't working out for me (new company was a mess and I hated the work). They gave me a 7.5% raise when I came back and moved me to a position that I had wanted for quite some time.

Also have been managing to save quite a bit of money over the past year:

Only reason I was down last month was because I bought a $1200 plane ticket to France. Should get a decent bump in money this month due vacation payout at my most recently quit job, and working a bunch of overtime at the first employer I just returned to getting up to speed (and HR being a bunch of idiots and not being able to start me as salary in the middle of a pay period, so I had to work hourly, so of course I'm going to work as much as I can).

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 14, 2016

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
My 30th birthday was yesterday, and I decided to finally open a Roth IRA.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Bitchkrieg posted:

I FINALLY paid off my last loving dollar of credit card debt.

My credit score is just around 700 (after a low of 520, c2012) and I have two unsecured cards now. The last derogatory marks will fall off my report in mid-2018. YNAB seriously made it all possible.

Now, I've got student loans to tackle -- they're in forebearance for another 10 months. I own my car outright, and don't have any other outstanding debt. For the first time, I'm actually planning my financial future instead of scrambling to keep up.

That's loving awesome man! Congrats. It's so much easier to sleep at night without having to worry about how you're going to manage to pay bills!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I start taking the bus to work today, because gently caress paying 10 bucks for parking every day.