Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Started using YNAB this month. Really put me on a track to get out of my CC debt (I zeroed out 2 CCs and have 2 more (the big ones) as well as track all of my transactions and stick to a budget. Learned that budgeting only the money you have and giving every job something to do really helped prevent me from buying random poo poo all of the time. Looking forward to the next few months working like this so I can finally get my stupid ex-gf CC debt cleared out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Just got approved for my first credit card without requiring any sort of a cosigner (well, second if you want to count my company issued corporate credit card). Got a decent credit limit ($10k) and not terrible APR, not that I ever really carry a balance on it.

Once it comes in the mail and I close my old card, operation "kick the parents off of all my financial information and be a financially independent adult" will be complete.

I don't know if you necessarily want to close your old card. Just stop using it?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If he's got his parents on it he should close it. It'll still show up on his history as a longstanding account, but without the potential for something loving it up in the future. It's not going to ruin his credit if he closes an old account and if he doesn't want to use it anymore, welp.

Ah my mistake. Carry on then!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
This is me after 6 months of really budgeting and doing some good work. I've had a few recent lapses but at least I'm not incredibly negative now.

That debt bump from 3 months ago is a result of travel for work rather than a sudden surge in spending.

Edit: Actually that wasn't very up to date. This is my most current net worth graph. I could kill the debt if I wanted to but its currently at 0% interest for another year and I'm going to kill it off by the beginning of September anyway.

Edit 2: Travel and company reimbursement is the reason why my asset flow is so weird. I like to think that the debt-to-asset ratio is what I should be concentrating on since that gives me the best idea of what I'm doing with myself.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 24, 2013

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Yes, I'm 9 years older than my younger sister so it was a nice thing we could do for her while she was in college.

I'm surprised how much people question this on here, does no one else like their siblings?

Don't worry - until my brother got a job, I was helping him out with his cell phone bills as well.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Finally paid off the last of my mistake money today. I'm now within budget and have no outstanding credit card debt! I do have a car payment but that has minimal impact to my overall budget at the moment.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I was finally able to get my girlfriend to sit down with me and put down all of her financial obligations on paper. She just graduated from Art Center so she has a buttload of student debt that we'll be paying down (hopefully quickly). Thankfully, she grabbed an amazing job at Square so we're not too worried about the job search anymore.

Anyway, I feel like we had a small victory as a result of actually putting everything down onto paper. She's realizing how long its going to take her to pay down her debts as well as her outstanding CC debt.

The next step is for me to convince her to borrowing money from her mom to pay off the rest of her CC debt is not the best choice. She's receiving a signing bonus that will easily cover the CC debt but she's just so impatient.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

SpelledBackwards posted:

Will she pay less in interest by borrowing from her mother now, or are the familial strings attached not worth the hassle, even if she pays her back promptly with the signing bonus?

I guess so. It'd be a no-interest loan. Her CC cards are headed towards the end of their promotion 0% interest (end of March) and the signing bonus should arrive prior to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Just got a 16% raise. I'm pretty happy.