Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Thanks to the GBS sticky I read the entire Zaurg trilogy with increasing alarm over the last two weeks, and today paid off two credit cards completely and the balance due on a third. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
FREEDOM!!

I put a big emphasis on paying off the credit card debt this year and not taking a long haul holiday (evidenced in the past by the two spikes as I stockpiled cash for currency exchange rather than pay down the cards) Feels good to finally not have multiple balances to service. Next steps are to increase my emergency fund from £1,000 to 3 months of expenses and then get in on the ground floor of the Help to Buy ISA when the scheme opens in December.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
The highest y axis marker on that graph is £4,000 (about $6,150 according to xe) as it's showing end of month figures but it was higher than that and closing on £5,000 at the point I got back from the US in November. I kept rolling fresh debt into 0% balance transfers and dividing the balance by the number of months in the 0% interest period so haven't paid a penny of interest since setting up the last one at the end of 2014.

Edit: and thanks! BFC and even the Slow Motion playbook of What Not To Do has really helped me over the last year or so get my financial life sorted out :)

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 30, 2015

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
:woop: 6% raise and title bump this year, thanks to a combination of BFC advice, not wanting to eat catfood in retirement and :zaurg: I'm taking 2% as a Cost of Living adjustment and increasing my pension contribution from the 6.5% employer match to 10.5%. I'm projecting to finally pay off my student bar tab in October so that will be the real pay increase for nice things :)

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Freedom!!!

Thanks to this thread for keeping me honest and looking forward to having some extra money every month :woop: 10.5% retirement, 3 months expenses in Emergency Fund, zero credit card or loan debt. Next stop: six figgies net worth :D

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Nocheez posted:

This was a post from 2012, and lots of things have happened since then:
- Wife has finished her Masters and now has a system-wide position in the largest hospital system other than the VA.
- We both got new hybrid cars this year again, both paid for in cash. Hers is a 2017, mine is a 2019.
- We bought a new house in 2015 (referenced above) and put down 20%.
- We still own the old house and rented it out for almost 3 years. However, we are closing on it a week from today :toot: :toot: :toot:
- We had a kid in 2018! He's really awesome :)
- I started a new job about 4 years ago. I'm finally making nearly the same amount of money but the healthcare is great.

We're planning on maxing out our Roth IRAs for 2018/2019 with the proceeds from the house, and will be renovating our master bathroom finally.

I feel like a new chapter in our lives is beginning.

This is awesome progress! Congrats :)

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Nur_Neerg posted:

Broke six figures in my retirement accounts for the first time! Feels good man.

Fantastic work! I am officially jealous :)

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

overdesigned posted:

My TSP/401(k) balance hit six figures this month! It's arbitrary since it won't be touched for decades but it feels good.

Congrats! :toot:

still inching my own way to the six figgies club

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
That is one hell of a turnaround. Congrats man!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

Congrats! :toot:

still inching my own way to the six figgies club

:jiggled: :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :jiggled:

tumblr hype man posted:

With today's paycheck I'm worth $100k :toot:

:hfive: tenth-of-a-guillotine buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
This is my favourite thread on the forums and I always enjoy seeing new posts in it :3: Congrats goons!