Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Bought a pretty nice car last weekend straight cash to replace one that had a blown head gasket and wasn't worth fixing. Paying yourself a car payment for a future car definitely works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

Bought a pretty nice car last weekend straight cash to replace one that had a blown head gasket and wasn't worth fixing. Paying yourself a car payment for a future car definitely works.

Yeahhhh. This has turned into a nightmare and probably will have to end up paying 3 grand out of pocket and then suing in small claims court to recoup.

In this past month I have also had to deal with the car that died, a rock hitting the windshield of the other car we own (fixed free thanks insurance), a major crack that necessitated a windshield replacement developed a few days later on the same car ($300), did our taxes and discovered we owe about $1500, this newer car repair nightmare, as well as paid a speeding ticket deferral ($245).

The best part? I give zero fucks about how much all this costs, it's more the annoyance of having to deal with yet another goddamned thing going wrong that I have to pay money for.

Fund your emergency funds people, it makes life so much less stressful.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
With today's payment i'm down to less than 50% of the original balance of student loans and the smaller higher interest one will be done by the end of the summer. Paying almost 4x the minimum payment every month, let's do this poo poo!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
:hellyeah:, gently caress you Sallie Mae!

...now to hardcore tackle the other one, at least it's at a much more reasonable 2.75%.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

Yeahhhh. This has turned into a nightmare and probably will have to end up paying 3 grand out of pocket and then suing in small claims court to recoup.

Quoting myself from a while back, had the actual court date this week representing myself pro se, just checked the case online and the judgement was in my favor. Don't let businesses gently caress you and take it lying down.

Now to collect, which shouldn't be too hard as the business has plenty of assets that could be sold by the sheriff should it come to that. :unsmigghh:

Tip for anyone considering small claims: be persistent with filling out paperwork, have a clear timeline of events prepared with as much supporting documentation/evidence as possible, have at least 3 copies of everything for the actual trial (one for you, the court, and the defendants), prepare questions ahead of time, and subpoena anyone and everyone that can provide expert testimony on your behalf.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 9, 2013

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

I now have a check in my hand for the full amount and court costs. :hellyeah:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
With that student loan payment, my final student loan is under $16k. This is the only debt at a hilarious 2.75% we have aside from our mortgage. :toot:

And in horrible financial decisions, my wife is due in about a week with our first child. However, due to short term disability basically covering the medical bills from the birth and her going back to work from late April through May (teacher), she'll be able to spend almost a year off to take care of the kid, we won't be hemorrhaging money, and we'll barely have to dip into the savings we built up specifically for that purpose. Family is going to fill the two month gap so we won't even need to pay for day care until August of 2015, at which point it will cost less than the ridiculous amount of money per month we've been saving towards her taking a year off, so it will even be a net gain in the budget. :hellyeah:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Down to less than $15k on mine this month! :toot:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Wife's salary just went back to normal after being severely reduced the last year due to her maternity leave. We had saved up $20k to help cover the mortgage this past year but barely touched, it so we have it sitting there ready for the next kid so she can take a whole year off. We haven't even really missed the extra $1200/mo so we're gonna pile it into my remaining student loan and be debt free except for mortgage by April. :w00t:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

gently caress it, i'm killing this bitch off next month in it's entirety, I can handle an extra grand out of savings. Debt free soon except for mortgage! :getin:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Speaking of student loans...

Hey Navient/Sallie Mae, guess what?

Go

gently caress

Yourself!

(Another 18k loan with a higher interest rate was paid off early 2013)

Now debt free except for mortgage! :dance: :dance: :dance:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got the news recently that she's expecting twins in May instead of just the one more we were planning for. Finances are the least of our concerns, she can still take a whole year off of work like we did for the first kid. We are already on track to buy a nice used minivan cash in February/March, just in time to fit 3 carseats for a while. :unsmigghh:

Speaking of carseats, gotta buy a few more of those...bye bye bonus money.

e: I can also probably get a discount on the vasectomy from the wife's urology doctor friend!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

numerrik posted:

Paid off my student loans yesterday. Took two years almost to the day.

I am now 100% debt free

Nice job!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
All it took was a letter and a $200 check once we hit 20% LTV, and they refunded $100 of that 2 months later. Took off $20/mo or something like that, well worth taking the effort.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Bought a CPO 2016 Sedona equipped exactly how we wanted straight cash on Tuesday. Biggest check we've ever written.

Put in notice today at my current job, moving to a new place with better benefits, PTO, career opportunities, 10% salary bump, and 4 minute closer commute.

Wife is having twins in may, and we're completely financially prepared for the medical expenses as well as her being able to take a year off to care for them.

Is this what adulting is like?

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 9, 2017

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It was pretty much yeah, we want this one, here's the tradein, we got $500 off internet price with a special govt. employee deal, wrote them a check, and done. I checked USAA and their used rates were more than 2%, KIA dealer couldn't do better than 2.5%.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Thanks to trumpbux putting me over my savings goal, I just bought a really nice 3 year old off lease car straight cash. It’s taken a while to save up, but dumping a decent car payment into that savings ledger every month is the way to go.

we’re finally ahead of the maintenance curve when it comes to cars and their ages, both are 2017s with 44k and 36k, respectively. It’s gonna be nice not spending $2000+/yr in non-preventative maintenance on the one I’m getting rid of.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s a lot easier to stomach $2k/yr in unplanned maintenance when you paid cash for the car to begin with and made it to 186k before the turbo died. I’ll miss the wagon but the new car will soon make me forget!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We run a 4-week budget cycle, which means that we actually end up with an extra mortgage payment every year that we throw at the principal. Feels good to send out that double payment, especially when we’re already sending an extra $250/mo to attack the principal.

Between the refi we did this summer and attacking the principal, we should have this paid off in 20 years and save over $150k over the lifetime of the mortgage.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Nice.

Our water heater died on us last week and it was so nice to look at the quotes, not give a poo poo about the price, and go for the more expensive tankless option. Of course, this means we’ll need to build back up the home emergency fund but that’s what it’s for!

E: um, hilariously, my CIO just called to let me know about a spot bonus for my hard work on a project, that fully covers what we had to spend on the new tankless install.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I discovered late last fall that due to the previous, original-build windows (replaced two years after we moved in) were leaking in one corner for a long time, letting water in to soak inside the structure of the wall. After doing discovery on the inside aka ripping out drywall, there was some significant work that needed to be done to replace 5x studs/cripples, sheathing, and a bit of flooring. With a brick exterior. Had a company do the masonry work to tear it down and due to circumstances had a single day to get the work done before they were coming back. With good planning for necessary materials and prep work, I didn't have to go to Lowe's once. I can't imagine what it would have cost to pay someone to do everything, I'm glad I had all of the tools (and knowledge) necessary to pull it off myself.

They offered 0% for 12 months financing for the ~$6000 masonry bill, so yeah why not. Paid $1000 down to start and just paid it off in full after six months.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 22, 2023