Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Goodman Games has just announced Mutant Crawl Classics, but there's very little information about it yet.

This looks awesome. Hopefully I don't have to own DCC to run it. I don't need another fantasy RPG but a gamma world type RPG would be awesome for one-shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:swoon:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Covok posted:

IIRC, it's very rape-y and is full of sexual violence. I could be mixing things together in my head so take that with a grain of salt.

nope that's right.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-rpg-4th-printing?ref=hero_thanks

New Kickstarter for the 4th printing of DCC. The new cover is excellent. Most of the new stuff is in the stretch goals.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know if non D&D games count in here...but I got my copy of Star Wars REUP from the Lulu black friday sale.

The book is standard Lulu fare. The game has relatively few changes. Mostly more examples and a LOT more stats. Excited to get into it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

WaywardWoodwose posted:

About how much did that run you?

I think it was about $23 with the coupon code.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Its expensive and clunky compared to Roll20. It's less useful for non-D&D or Pathfinder games.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

My personal favorite OSR artist is Peter Mullen, his stuff is always fantastic

His DCC poo poo is awesome. That new DCC cover :getin:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Has anyone ever found reasonably priced hex graph paper?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Has the Black Hack author showed off any of the art? Hard to back a retroclone without good art

alg
Mar 14, 2007

aldantefax posted:

Speaking of DCC, the current Bundle of Holding is running a fantastic deal on DCC Adventure modules, so if you are weak willed then you can go pick those up. :getin:

Looks like its all 3.5 stuff :crossarms:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It's DCC. Upgrade or downgrade dice, don't use modifiers :shobon:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Star Wars D6 or D6 Space? :shobon:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

New Barrowmaze Kickstarter. Killer deal on both campaigns since its Canadian dollars.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/843284272/barrowmaze-the-forbidden-caverns-of-the-archaia

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I really liked the Erol Otus cover but the interior art on this printing looks killer. Backed!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

My Barrowmaze arrived today from the Kickstarter. This book is killer. I think it would take some effort to run with DCC but Swords and Wizardry should work just fine for it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

What is the best source for a 1e / OSR "Beholder"? Is it just the 1E Monster Manual?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

This is really cool. Seeing this stuff makes me really appreciate the streamlining and rules clarity of the OSR.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

This edition of White Box (S&W) I've been reading seems really newbie friendly and has stellar art: http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/?m=1

It's hard for me to really know what's truly newbie friendly as someone who's been gaming since 2E/Star Wars WEG but the game seems super simple.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark might be what you want, because it now has a free app that will autopilot monsters for you. Plus it lets you play completely co-op.

Yep and if anything it has even tighter combat mechanics than 4E.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Prominent OSR Blog Bends Knee to Lick Trump's Boot

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2016/11/tenkars-tavern-designated-neutral-ground.html?m=1

alg fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 17, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah as long as he sticks to "don't talk about the election etc" he's fine but in comments on FB he was basically saying no chat that praised inclusiveness, lgbt, etc. Which basically makes the OSR into the whitewashed wasteland a lot of fatbeards would like it to be.

Tenkar seems like an OK guy but he needs to clarify.

Edit:

quote:

I've never posted about SJ issues. If they came up in the comments, it was commenters going back and fourth. My Mod hand has been a light one.

Going forward, I'll delete all pro and anti social justice comments. I'm not going to pick sides. 

I'm sure its not the answer desired, but it is the one I have

alg fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 18, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

isn't that the one owned by gamergaters

alg
Mar 14, 2007

finally got my DCC box. holy poo poo they did a TON of work. totally worth the wait.

wish I weren't starting a S&W barrowmaze campaign :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Got my group started on Barrowmaze tonight with S&W complete and they loved it. Two hirelings died already so I guess I'm now part of OSR!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

If anyone wants to give DCC a try, the Free RPG Day adventure has a quick start guide that is rather extensive, and there are two adventures in there too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm a DCC fanboy at this point but the quick start from Free RPG Day is a super good value for anyone wanting to try the system. It includes rules to level two and a funnel and level 1 adventure.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

My players in my family DCC game are going to go apeshit for Dinosaur Crawl Classics in the Gencon guide. My niece and nephew are 100% gonna sign up to play velociraptors.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Greg Gillespie's new megadungeon Fordbidden Caverns of Archaia was shipped to backers and is available on rpgnow. It's even better than Barrowmaze in my opinion. There is a huge varieyt in monster types and tons of factions involved in the hex crawl. There is a LOT more art this time too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

$35 is a bit steep, but I imagine we won't be seeing a sale for awhile since it was kickstarted. Can you elaborate on the structure and contents of the book?

Basically it's a huge hex crawl where different species of monsters have banded together under one evil banner. In the hex crawl are many dungeons to explore.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Why do these people making dank elf games need all these personal problems

I'm glad this doesn't usually affect DCC. To even know this stuff goes on I usually have to read it here

alg
Mar 14, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

What modern ready ref sheets exist? It occurred to me due to discussion in the general chat that the only ones I can think of are GreyHawk and City State of the Invincible Overlord and those are both 30 years old.

This is definitely:filez: but it's a good print out

http://www.jedmc.com/s/Wilderness_Hexplore_revised.pdf

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I would get some dice and start with Sailors on the Starless Sea and go from there

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Frank Mentzer

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/920489843821486080

alg
Mar 14, 2007

My copy of AS&SH came today. It's a gigantic book, and really more complete than any other OSR core book I've seen. I need to dig into it more but I really like the sub classes at first glance. Not using ascending AC is a negative for my group. The book is absolutely full of artwork from the best artists in the OSR, and is really excellently laid out. Really what I want from it is a very pulpy feel, like DCC, but so far it looks more like a more advanced AD&D, which is cool too, as a more crunchy OSR game is something I want on my shelf to show to certain people who aren't interested in super simple games.

Edit: no index.

alg fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 30, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah don't buy ACKS, the creator is a white nationalist

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Dude put art of Vox Day slaughtering "SJWs" in one of his books lol

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Xotl posted:

What? In which one?

A barbarian one

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2017/03/dark-lord-character-class.html?m=1

Let's be clear here, Alexander Macris is not a good person. He thinks Vox Day is a good person and works for and supports white nationalists.

There are far better games to support. Hopefully when the Escapist finally goes under ACKS will too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

DCC has the best spell list. Spells aren't a sure thing and the list isn't gigantic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I got a copy of the RC PoD (right when it went up- not the crummy PDF). It's not super high quality - the text can be a little blurry. I wonder if a black and white copy would be better. It looks like printing black and white on an inkjet in the 90s.

I can try and take pics tonight.

• Locked thread