Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dr. Sneer Gory posted:

If we can talk about non-D&D old-school fantasy games, is anyone familiar with Swordbearer? I have had it for a about 2 years now, and have not had a chance to play it yet, but it really is a neat game system, old school in many ways (published in 1982), but ahead of it's time in others.

It was a very sophisticated game at the time, and if it had just been developed more it might have been a hit. More stuff in the core book, a flashier presentation and some splat and setting books would have helped. I really liked the magic system, but I haven't had a chance to use it. You should write it up for the Fatal & Friends thread, it's obscure as anything in there (and I'm busy with Traveller).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

VacuumJockey posted:

Everybody speaks well of Swordbearer but sadly I've never tried it. You can still buy it from FGU too!

Man their website sucks. $10 for a PDF of Swordbearer isn't a bad deal, Dungeon World was a much better value (and the retroclone you should be playing). Bushido is a pretty good samurai RPG too, it's worth checking out.

Holy poo poo, Bunnies and Burrows is still technically in print.
http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/category/Misc-11/rec/10

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

VacuumJockey posted:

I think that FGU and Palladium are now the only old-school RPG producers still around. :(

Edit: Maybe Steve Jackson too, although I'm not sure if GURPS qualifies as proper old-school. I dunno, really. :iiam:

GURPS derives from The Fantasy Tripm which in turn derives from a hex-based skirmish game called Melee. Melee had two stats, STR and DEX; INT was added next year in Wizard, which included such gems as multi-hex monster counters. Dragons were up to 7 hexes in size. Wizard is also notable for introducing the "roll to disbelieve" when confronted by something that might be an illusion.

On top of that, SJG has kept Ogre in print since 1979. They're as old school as it gets.

Edit: Marc Miller is putting out a new Traveller edition this year, the first edition came out in 1979.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

VacuumJockey posted:

Yeah, you guys are right about SJG and Chaosium - they're pretty old-school, although strictly speaking the Fantasy Trip/Melee/Wizard was published by some other, now defunct company. But Ogre packs a lot of old-school cred, as do Car Wars.

Would Games Workshop qualify? Although they're all about minis today, they used to publish WFRPG and the Judge Dredd RPG too...

And White Dwarf used to be a fantastic general gaming magazine. Don't forget they wrote the Fiend Folio too, they're old school RPG as hell.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Neito posted:

I have that book, and it doesn't actually generate the dungeon, it generates the NARRATIVE of the dungeon.

If you're going to do that, you should be using How To Host A Dungeon. Break out your graph paper, pencils and dice; then get ready to find out what really happened in the legends the Bard won't shut up about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

VacuumJockey posted:

I use Ready Ref Sheets for inspiration to this day! Combined with another overlooked classic, TSR's Monster and Treasure Assortment Sets 1-3 you're good to go in almost any old D&D or clone thereof. :rock:

I reviewed the Ready Ref sheets and some of the other supplements (like the Villages and Islands books) in some detail for the F&F thread. Short version: if you want as old-school as it gets, eBay copies of these RFN.

Villages 1 and Temples 1
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421366&pagenumber=185#post401733123

Two posts on the Ready Ref Sheets, which, I'll say again, is a product I love:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421366&userid=115420#post401812572
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421366&userid=115420#post401840584

• Locked thread