Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

What's the deal with the Lamentations of the Flame Princess and Carcosa guy? I know he gets a lot of bad vibes around the forum, but I can't find out exactly why.

I read through crunchy parts of the free edition of LotFP and wasn't blown away, but it didn't seem any better or worse than most of the retroclone stuff out there. Is the fluff really bad or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Carcosa has mechanics for ritualistically raping and murdering little girls (available to players no less), Lamentations of the Flame Princess is similarly stupid in its "grindhouse edition" artwork and both are published (and one is written by) by James Edward Raggi IV, who among other things denounces creativity as a worthy endeavor and calls you a moral coward if you happen to think that ritualistically murdering and raping little girls in your game is kind of lovely.

And that's basically all I want of him in this thread.

:stonk:

Done and done. Sorry I asked. Not going to bother reading the non-mechanical bits, then. Yuck! Thanks for the warning!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

WIth some minor juggling of roles, it almost looks like an Order of the Stick RPG.

You could model Record of Lodoss War off it as well. It'd be excellent for pick-up games where you don't have a ton of time to do all the "how do we know each other" background stuff.

• Locked thread