Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Okay. I have a few questions and I think this is the place for them.

I ran a dungeoncrawl using S&W for the first time. It went pretty well and I'll probably do it again. But I have some questions about 'skills'. You know those things that don't exist unless you're a thief.

Question the first: In situations where you are testing character skill what method to you prefer? e.g. I used this when the fighter kicked down doors, and when the party needed to jump over a trapped floor panel.

I used d20 roll under attribute to succeed, but it felt strange that everything had the same difficulty (per character).

Question the second: I get most of the thief skills, but I didn't understand how "Hear Sounds" (or similarly Notice Secret Door for elves)
What happens when there is a goblin party on one side of the wooden door and the thief puts his ear up to the door? And what happens when the fighter does it?

My take was
Fighter: "You hear what seems to be multiple creatures on the other side."
Thief (successful roll): "There are four creatures over there. Sounds like goblins, and they're armed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

OtspIII posted:

One option is to make it a time thing.

Thank you. This is an excellent idea that I would never have thought of.

Gasperkun posted:

Castles & Crusades
DCC

This is also helpful. Although Swords and Wizardry has a flattened attribute progression so I'll have to arrange a house rule. But if I didn't want to do that I wouldn't be playing old school, would I?

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

whydirt posted:

Saving Throws to a single number that various classes just get conditional bonuses to.

Swords and Wizardry does this. At first I was put off by a single save number, but then I realized that I don't actually give a poo poo about having 5 numbers for that on the sheet, (or 3 for that matter).

I think a single number with caveats may become my preference.

I want to hear more about peoples experience/opinions with roll under. Did a one off dungeon with d20 roll under for skills and enjoyed it, but I was a little concerned about it's solvency over the course of an extended campaign. i.e. Because attributes rarely change my players expressed concern that they wouldn't feel like they were growing over time. (We're all used to 3rd and 4th ed though.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Snorb posted:

F Skubok, born in:801, fell victim to the plaque in: 802

Ravendas, please make sure there is at least one entry in the table where plague is spelled incorrectly like this. My fantasy Vietnam needs its tooth disease.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

So can elves/halflings use shields in TAAC?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Payndz posted:

• New spells and powers!

Whoa, whoa whoa, what's the big idea changing the number of spells at each level to non platonic numbers? How am I supposed to randomly generate spells?

Seriously though, it's looking nice.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Oh yeah, B10 is a great introduction to wilderness travel, though for that I'd actually recommend starting a bit higher level and playing X1 The Isle of Dread. Jungle Island! Remote tribes to befriend! Dinosaurs! It's the first Hexcrawl adventure ever released.

Starting at a higher level in Basic is a bit unusual in that you usually want to pick an XP total rather than state "everyone starts at level 3". Some classes level faster and all that. Other than that detail, it's good to go.

Notably, a remake of isle of dread can be found in the d&d next playtest packet if you want to take a look at it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

McGlu posted:

I haven't seen any references to Tunnels and Trolls in this thread. Ken St. Andre, the original author, claims that his system is the second tabletop RPG next to D&D.

I have the 7.5 rules box. It's a well put together package, but I've only read through it and not actually played. I've also supported their Kickstarter for the next edition.

Any opinions?

BTW, thanks for the tip on Labyrinth Lord. Bought the PDFs as soon as I read up on it.

The only thing I've heard about T&T was something vaguely about how the combat could be condensed into some small series of rolls. I have no idea if that is accurate, or some weird houserule I'd caught wind of. What is the system like?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

1. I'm thinking about doing a planetary adventure style game, since Mutant Future makes it easy to blend sci-fi into Basic. The problem I keep coming back to is that the characters would by necessity be unique individuals crash-landed on an alien planet, and Basic assumes low-level characters will die and be replaced by jumped-up hirelings or whatnot. Can anyone recommend a plausible way around it?

Clones? That might take too much bite out of death though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Also, I'm interested in what makes LotFP "tight"

Here's what you can do.

1) Go to rpgnow and download the free and art free version of the ruleset.
2) Never buy anything from James Raggi.

Edit:

Whoa, when did the ACKS pdf drop from its previously obscene $40 to a reasonable $10?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 26, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sounds like the Swords and Wizardry Complete pdf is going to be free because something mythmere games did on kickstarter is succeeding. Someone tell me what's so complete about this compared to the barebones version I got for free years ago?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

This is a bit out of date but Roles, Rules, & Rolls finally published the first version of The 52 pages project. It has some nice shorthand rules, and spell cards, if you're into that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

For S&W, does the HDE/CL value of a monster mean that an encounter would be a small trial/tribulation, or a death defying existential threat? For example I'm reading a one-shot dungeon which features a Giant Slug as the guardian to the ENTRANCE, which has a CL of 6, while everything else in the dungeon is on the 3-4 level. What would be appropriate CLs for a new set of characters?

(if anyone has any pre-built halfling priest NPCs with the monster-type stats I would be greatly obliged)

If the slug has acid spit that's a lethal encounter. Because 3d6 damage one shots people with 3d6 HP. If it doesn't have any ranged attacks then the party can beat it by kiting it, or just avoid it because it probably can only move at the same rate as the fighter.

I don't have a lot of experience with S&W but the rulebook suggests that a +3 CL encounter is basically an existential threat. Not really intended to be fought directly (which is why the slug thing is confusing). There should only be one or two of them on a regular dungeon level.

Would you like a good or evil halfling priest, and around what level/CL?
Edit: Oh, wait do you mean a halfling whose job is being a priest, or a halfling that has cleric levels?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 10, 2014

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Thanks, that clarifies things alot. As for halfling chaotic cleric - he is the BBG of part 2/2 of my new adventure so should be pretty challenging for 3-4 Level 2 PCs. The evil mastermind behind bringing the centipede and rat gods together in a holy union to destroy a local city.

Alright, how about this.

Chaotic Halfling Priest
Hit Dice: 3
Armor Class: 3[17]
Attack: Mace 1d6
Saving Throw: 14 (10 vs Magic)
Special: Spells (see below)
Move: 9
Alignment: Chaos
Challenge Level: 4(/120)
Spells:
The Halfling Priest prepares 1 Cure Light Wounds and 1 Cause Light Wounds (reversed cure light wounds) each day.

Treasure:
2 Scrolls of Charm Vermin (as snake charm, but effects only rodents or insects the size of a housecat or smaller)
Halfling Plate Armor, Mace, Shield
Ring of Poison Resistance

Tactics:
If forewarned, or on his first turn the priest reads a scroll of Charm Vermin. This allows him to summon from the woodwork 2 giant rats (small), and 2 giant centipedes (small, non-lethal venom). Both of the Giant Rats are diseased. The priest commands the rats to protect him (especially while he prepares spells) and the centipedes to flank the enemy and attempt to bite spellcasters. The vermin do not have the opportunity to attack the first turn they appear. The vermin remain under his command for up to 4 turns (40 minutes).
The priest attempts to use his cause light wounds against armored targets and cure light wounds on himself whenever an opportunity arises.
The priest only has enough power to read his charm vermin scrolls once per day (leaving one as treasure if the heroes can defeat him quickly).

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 11, 2014

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Should I 'test' for things in S&W with modified rolls vs. a given stat or the PC's ST, or not at all? For example, a dangerous move like avoiding a sprung trap or navigating a crumbling viaduct.

The traditional method would be:

If the situation involves intelligence or perception don't roll. Talk it out instead like you are a parser for an interactive fiction game, only hopefully better at interaction.

If the action is covered by a class table like Thievery skills use that.

If the action involves a character dodging or resisting an effect roll against their ST. (This is the first case you mentioned).

Otherwise, come up with a rudimentary base rolling system and stick with it. (This is the second case you mentioned.)
A couple examples are,
Roll under a single stat on a d20 to accomplish the task as if were their ST for that action, (like TAAC, a great game linked earlier in the thread)
Roll a d20 modified by the appropriate stat (in S&W this is probably just a +1 if 13 or better or a -1 if 8 or worse) and add an additional 2 if the action 'makes sense' for the class of the character. Try to beat a 10 if the task is simple or a 15 if it is complicated. (More like 3rd or 4th edition D&D)
Roll 2d6 modified by the appropriate stat as above. 6 is a partial success, 9 is a full success. (Like Dungeon World or Apocalypse World)

I'm sure there are some instances where the game expects you to roll against an NPCs morale score, but I don't recall when that happens in S&W.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Looks like Wizarddawn dropped his server from godaddy so if you're using his generators you'll have to go here instead,

wizardawn.dyndns.org

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Libertad! posted:

Unless someone already posted it, here's another useful list of D&D retroclones.

It's by far the most comprehensive one I've seen yet.

It was but they are forwarding to this new page now. I always found it amusing that both dungeon world and 13th age are on this list. Also Barbarians of Lemuria which is only similar to D&D in the sense that you could pretend to be Conan in either of them?

I wonder what category they'll put D&D Next in. :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

OtspIII posted:

(I can post some of them if people are interested),

Sure. That sounds like it would be interesting.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I concur. gently caress bees.

Oh, say, does anyone have any opinion of the old module Caverns of Thracia? I saw it on rpgnow recently and I was wondering if it was any good.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

VacuumJockey posted:

It is considered a classic - check out what Jamie Mal had to say about it: http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2008/12/retrospective-caverns-of-thracia.html

I like it a lot too, but it's the kind of module that needs to be read very carefully before you run it. Wouldn't hurt to take notes too. :0

Okay. I've been having a bit of a mental block generating my own dungeon, so here's the deal.
1. I'll get Caverns of Thracia.
2. Parse it through my thick head and write some stuff down.
3. Come back here to ask questions.
4. When (if) I run it, trip report.

homullus posted:

I guess they did do the Undermountain thing at the very end.

I seem to remember some circa 2010 4ed modules with incredibly, uninspired skill challenges of the form 'Get your asses from the city to the dungeon'.
My guess is that this is the result of freelancer requirements that looked like this:
1. Every adventure must contain at least one skill challenge.
2. Every adventure should contain at least one challenge that is about 'exploration'.

What could possibly go wrong? :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, so I've read through the Caverns of Thracia module. It took quite awhile to wrap my head around some of the connections to the sublevels.

The only question I have right now is on the lich. It doesn't appear to have a phylactery of any kind, does that mean that it cam just be destroyed by reducing it to 0 HP? (I guess that would explain why it runs away from conflict by default.)

In addition, here's a little glimpse of a sideproject one of my board game obsessed friends put me up to:

It's a ten times scale version of the tiles from the 1979 game "death maze". Well at this stage it's only about a quarter of the tiles, but it will probably fill up a table so I'm not sure there's any point in making more before testing them out.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Trip Report: Caverns of Thracia
Alright, Caverns of Thracia run in TAAC with 6 level 2 party members, what happened?

I slapped on a front end that involved a small elven hippy commune as the base camp and the discovery of Thracia by a Dwarven ruin excavation crew. They didn't really care about since it wasn't dwarvern. One of my players suggested that they said, "Oh, you call that 'civilization'? Come back in a couple thousand years."

The first foray:

They made their way to the ruin during which they randomly encountered a party of tribesman cultists performing a ritual to the dark god. The halfling was able to sneak up and take notes before the party went the long way around.

They spent about 40 minutes exploring the surface during which time the halfling nearly fell down the hole above the sacrifice chamber. They encountered both the tribesman who they easily routed (killing half and causing the others to flee) upon discovering the secondary entrance to the ruins and a bunch of beastmen led by dog brother who got stuck in the swamp mud as they party fled.

They went down the secondary staircase to the tribesman's sacred area where they spotted the guard blowing his warning whistle in the distance. They also were forewarned of the giant bats and were able to take them down without stepping foot on the bridge thanks to a mighty cleave from the fighter.

Then they took way too long coming up with a strategy to cross the bridge(s) having previously heard the rumor that the bridges were unsafe. On the (unfortunately incorrect) assumption that the guard had only warned people to the north they crossed along to the east towards the south staircase down to level 2. In the chapel above the stairs they were ambushed by four fighting tribesmen all wearing plate. This quickly turned into a very bad situation as the halfling went down immediately in a failed attempt to alight the curtains with his torch, the party was forced to hold the line with three members in front and two in the rear. The TAAC version of 'sleep' is actually balanced so it did not end the encounter for them. Then the cleric fell, followed by the dwarf at which point the party broke away and fled back across the rope bridge, cutting it down to prevent chase, and then retreating to the safety of the outpost.

The second foray:

I let them replace their missing number with identical new members.
Player: "Hey, you should come explore these ruins with us. Last time we went half of us were murdered and we didn't find any treasure!"
Me as new PCs: "That's sounds like a great idea!"
This is a running gag now since killing half the party and forcing them to flee with now treasure is exactly what happened last time I had run a retro-module as well.

The party decided that they weren't interested in more ambushes so they went down the main entrance this time. First heading to the left where dwarven senses informed them that there was an chamber on the opposite side of the wall if they wanted to dig for a couple days. (Although in retrospect I wouldn't have told them this if I ran again since if someone actually cut through that wall the main entrance to the ruin would be swarmed by 400 angry skeletons. I wonder what the beastmen would have done about that? Possibly just completely abandoning the surface for a couple years.)

They then headed to the right taking the unusual tactic of dousing their light and having the dwarf lead them with infravision. They were pretty wary of being ambushed again, I think. The dwarf noticed the wall inscription, but not the spear trap, although the spear trap malfunctioned so they still don't know that it's there. Their unusual approach did sort of allow them to get the drop on the gnolls in the guardpost. Against gnoll HP sleep was more effective allowing them to easily drive the gnolls off and claim the guardpost.

They then returned to the mysterious inscription which not even the wizard was capable of reading, and of course, entered the door, to their dooms. In the chapel of Thanatos, the halfling smashed the bodies to dust using sling stones (the party had intended to use a pole for this purpose but neglected to bring one, it worked out to their advantage). Then the halfling bonked the wraith who was not prepared to fight 6 healthy party members and he fled the room through the secret door minus 5 of his HP.

This was where I made a crucial miscalculation and switched from rounds back to turns, and later turns back to rounds without thinking about it. Everyone in the party had failed their poison save except the dwarf so in their exploration turn they all collapsed asleep causing the wraith to return to the room and finish off the dwarf before any one else could recover. TPK. Well, I think when we go back to the module I'll run the room again sticking to rounds, because running the instructions word for word will cause them to collapse one by one giving the remaining party members a chance to find the source or at least hide before the wraith returns.

Payndz, I'll try to write up some feedback for TAAC and PM you. It's basically all positive except for "too much like AD&D" which can't really be helped.

My opinion of the module,
Pros: The dungeon is beautifully designed with respect to layout. I love the hidden sublevels. It definitely all works together and work s with the system it was intended for.
I like that they include rules for things like drowning so you don't have to make up your own ruling for these. Each room gives you the things you need to run that room which is great. How awake are those bats, what is this magic marble a key to? All that stuff is there where you need it. The single column layout really works for this type of module.

Cons: I honestly have no idea how a first level party would get anywhere in this dungeon beyond leaning on a broken version of the Sleep spell like a crutch. Encounters against 6 .5 HD creatures, bring it on! Encounters against 4 level 2 Fighting Men in plate, um, well, are they clearly visible before the encounter starts? Because that's an encounter to avoid. Oh, they basically have a 100% chance of surprise in close quarters, yeah, that's not going to work.
The other major issue is that the main intelligent factions obvious first reaction is "Intruders, kill them." There isn't any question about this, a different faction is trying to ambush you at each of the main entrances, this is followed up by more encounters where they're main goal is clearly to keep people out. You can top that with the fact that the party probably can't even speak the language one of the faction understands.

Basically tl;dr, dungeon and module layout good, encounters bad.

Edit: Holy poo poo, that's a wall of text.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Payndz posted:

TAAC lives! :toot:

I'm really happy that you had a blast and everything works. (Although that's more down to Moldvay and Cook than me; all I did was adapt the maths to a unified system and add a few spells. Did anyone use Swole's Mighty Blow, BTW?)

With only one wizard he opted to take spells that he deemed more practical. Although apparently he didn't know that the most practical spell in Caverns of Thracia is comprehend languages. They were amused by the name though.

Edit: Ah, you don't have platinum, I'll write up a feedback post in the thread then.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 17, 2014

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

So part of this weekend was my GMing sharpen the saw time, and I was trying to come up with some critique for TAAC based on my player feedback when I was hit by a mental ton of bricks. My players ran 6 characters, one of every class except elf, which is part of the reason the kept getting into spots.

Fog is the 'sleep' spell of TAAC. Only it is superior to sleep in two key ways.
1. The wizard doesn't get it. I'm pretty sure this is self explanatory, but I'll do so anyway. The wizard still gets to control people's minds, the wizard still gets to set everything on fire with a wave of his hands, but the wizard no longer gets the piece of the pie that says "Oh, poo poo, we need this encounter to be over right now!"

2. It doesn't defeat the encounter. The party can't destroy the enemy with this spell and then just take their stuff (and the XP) with no challenge. They still get the important part, which is that they can escape the encounter (or sneak the thief up behind the biggest guy, if they'd prefer).

You heard it here first, Fog owns, replace Sleep with Fog in every retroclone. :colbert:

Actual critique of TAAC:
So, I think the negative feedback I got basically boiled down to the fact that I didn't commit enough resources to streamlining character creation and the last retroclone I ran was a hack of S&W. So, basically my players had to be walked through each of the classes one by one and it took about 40 minutes to make them all up. As I mentioned before this is not a negative, so much as a, "Hey, 1st edition is more complicated then 0th edition."

On the positive side, the main feedback was about how they liked the flavor abilities of the fighter. Technically, battle cry never worked in combat (out of 4 attempts), but both and the players liked that it was there. Cleave is a great streamlining of a classic ability and the way it compounds with the fighter's critical is very flavorful.

As I mentioned before I liked the rebalanced version of sleep and one of the players actually verbalized that whittling down enemies before using it can make it more effective when they had that epiphany.

If I didn't like roll under, I wouldn't be using TAAC, so nothing really to say about that. And we didn't really get a chance to exercise any of the thief abilities yet.

If I get a chance I wat to put together a short dungeon for a 1st level party for TAAC and post it up here.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Payndz posted:

Basically, it's a variation of Next's Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic, with the intention of getting rid of +/- modifiers on d20 rolls entirely.

As I'm sure you can see from the anydice charts posted above the probabilities are completely different in the more powerful direction. Give a shot at comparing the most common modifier changes you'll probably see, magic sword +1 becomes Bo2, and Backstab becomes Bo3. It's an idea worth trying, but it won't look that much like B/X.

Actually there's one even more common modifier that will probably be your biggest hurdle if you're trying to remove all the +/- modifiers from the game. What will you do about Armor Class?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Payndz posted:

AC in TAAC is ascending and applied to a target number (the character's relevant stat) before the roll, so if you've got STR 15 and are attacking an AC5 enemy, you have to roll 10 or lower to hit (15-5). That would still apply in this system, but then you might make the roll with Bo/Wo 2 or 3 rather than having additional +/- modifiers.

This is the response I expected (, there's a more radical direction you could have gone by breaking AC done into layers of disadvantage but I can't imagine that working very well with a d20 base mechanic). I think of any version of D&D I've played TAAC is one of the best fits for a roll X, keep 1 style.

Payndz posted:

(It's meant for short one-shot games with a defined victory objective for each adventure/mission, so characters are built from set templates with a small amount of customisation, and there's no experience progression; playing at a higher level just involves using the template from the next tier up.)

I'm actually most excited about this idea. I'm toying with something similar after I first discovered this blog post a couple weeks ago: http://bankuei.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/90-minute-dd/

Last Christmas, I actually had a couple of family members, independently, ask if I could run something for them, which was a bit confusing because one of them hasn't played anything in ten years, and I'm not even sure the other one even knows what a role-playing game is.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Payndz posted:

Attack, Defend, Support

It's a bit like Dungeon World, I think. Do defenders have to make an attack roll to hit? And do monsters always choose attack or does the DM choose for them in secret before the player's declare?
I'd give the dwarf some sort of defense bonus to push it further into a different roll than the fighter.

I've been giving the Basic RC character maths a once over as I try to come up with classes for my own retroclone. This stuff is probably obvious to some of the oldtimers but I totally didn't know any of these findings until tonight.

First off, saves all increase at the same rate for a single class (until they taper off at high levels), the only exception is the magic user's weird bonus against spells. And stranger to me, for the non-demihumans the growth rate of the save bonus is identical to the increase rate of their attack bonus.

Edit: Removed some shameful, shameful math that failed to take into account geometric experience requirements for level ups.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 28, 2014

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, here's one of the ideas for the retroclone I'm working on.

Whenever a player performs a regular attack they gain a point.
Then you can spend a certain number of points to use powers (based off of RC Weapon Mastery rules)
Fighters get a bunch of powers options, thieves and clerics get a few.

What do you guys think of that idea?

I had another idea that basically involved characters accumulating fate aspects base don their setting ties, but I'll probably try to take this one step at a time.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, I have a question about Darker Dungeons myself in the wake of some of Cirno's posts in the Next thread--does the ascending scale create errors or imbalance in how the success rates scale, or are they tightly pegged to how everything was in the RC proper?

I don't have Darker Dungeons on hand at the moment, but both scales should be the ascending and descending results methods are effectively the same. It's possible to make an error when turning the system around, and put no armor at 9 asc. instead of 10, but I doubt that occurred in DD. It's more the type of mistake I'd make if I was trying to convert a monster as quickly as possible. Even when that it occurs it's only a difference of 1 AC point.

My takeaways from that conversation were:

Descending AC is a bit more complicated to remember because subtraction. (I believe this line of reasoning used to be called "THAC0 is Wacko".)

And one benefit or roll under saves (and the like) is that it clearly exposes success probabilities to the player so that the know what they're in for. i.e. They can make tactical decisions based on their chances.
Another perspective on this would be that if, say, I always give my humanoid NPCs a Dex of 10 (which I do because I don't care to waste time stating up NPCs) then the player's can determine their AC without me directly telling them, whereas if they're looking at a dragon they basically have to guess at it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Not really. You add the attack bonus, the AC, and the Roll; if that is 20 or greater it is a hit. No subtraction needed.

I never had the chance to play 2nd. Did it actually suggest doing THAc0 the simple way?

I assumed it was like later editions, "Hey got your armor bonus? Cool. Now (seemingly) arbitrarily add 10 to it!"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Or for fake scifi D&D that is sufficiently ridiculous there's Encounter Critical.

Edit: I haven't actually read the entirety of EC.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Libertad! posted:

Machinations of the Space Princess was written by James Desborough, actually. He originally intended it to be a LotFP adventure, but turned into its own thing.

I heard Raggi was cursed.
He can no longer see his reflection in a mirror.
When he looks in the mirror, he can only see Desborough.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Always interesting to see another outfit take a crack at going some combo of OGL and full-on open---somehow oddly amusing to me seeing a github page for something like this.

I watched a video where the DW designers recommended Github. It certainly makes sense, at least if your project is a fully realized game.

Deeper in the game has been posting some good stuff about dungeon design, I recommend taking a look:
http://bankuei.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/dungeons-theory-and-design/

(There are four parts so far, and there will probably end up being 5 or 6.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Apparently Cubicle 7 is kickstarting a Lone Wolf RPG. Which is confusing to me because I already own Mongoose's Lone Wolf RPG.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Way of the Tiger please.

Arion-games publishes (or used to publish?) Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2nd edition, although there is regrettably not a setting book for Way of the Tiger.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a rough draft of some ideas I'd been bouncing around in my head for giving OSR Magic-Users some 4E-style at-will and encounter powers.

Is this in addition to dailies, or replacing dailies?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FRINGE posted:

If youre going to do this make sure their "never runs out" ability is worse than a thrown dagger, which they also have but have to actually carry as a limited resource.

I don't know that I would make it worse than a dagger as long as it was still worse than the average 'at-will' move of every other class. Of course, by better than a thrown dagger I mean exactly like a thrown dagger except you don't have to stuff a pile of pointy things into your pack.

Definitely the mage should make attack rolls for at-wills because if they are getting bored tossing rocks every turn they'll get bored even faster just telling you how much damage they do and to who each turn.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I have simple tastes. Dwarven priest to me is a priest.

Agree. I also allow crossover in the other direction.

I admit it maybe a little confusing on the surface that your character can be a human 'elf', but I assure you that they studied very hard in order to learn infravision.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

aldantefax posted:

I'm thinking about a hexcrawl game on the seas (similar to like, Etrian Odyssey 3). Are there any retroclones out there that have a nautical focus, or should I just freewheel it and estimate based on various source material like GURPS Swashbucklers and the like?

This hasn't gotten an answer from anybody yet, and I'm going to give a bad answer.

A lot of retroclones have a boats section because it was in D&D, but I've never seen one that focus on naval stuff. I'd freewheel it personally. Just don't forget to make them save vs scurvy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

CountingWizard posted:

Empire of the petal throne has a much better system where character level determines what HD you get multiple attacks against.

:aaa: Wait, why didn't anyone tell me EPT was out in pdf format? Merry Christmas to me.

Bob Quixote posted:

I really want to beef up the Fighter and make them more active/viable in mid-late game play (without being wholly dependent on equipment for effectiveness), but I like using simple mechanics whenever possible to do so.

Maybe making your total number of attacks per round via Cleave linked to your Attack bonus rather than character level would be a decent solution? You could still potentially kill a bear in one swing, but no more than 10 bears in a round (the game I'm working with has a max +10 to-hit)?

In TAAC the cleave rule is if you do more damage than a creature has and you are adjacent to another creature you can transfer the remaining damage to the next creature until you run out of damage.

• Locked thread