Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Illvillainy posted:

As 3.xE was my first exposure to D&D beyond the BG series, BECMI's this intriguing cypher to me, how did it differ in tone/purpose to AD&D and how is it's legacy ignored by modern D&D?

Basic covered levels 1-3 and was very, well, basic. It was dungeon crawly and the elements of things distilled to one core of beating up goblins and taking their stuff with some variants. Expert introduced overland travel, outdoor adventures, horses, and the like. I think it was levels 4-14. Companion covered becoming like, a responsible adult person, I guess and starting your own lands you could rule and building your cool keep. I think it went to L25 or so and covered mass combat and the like. Master was 25-36 and covered exploring the planes ad basically getting ready to become a GOD as well as more stuff about lands and owning things and so on. Immortals was a whole different (and largely seperate) set of rules covering godhood.

It actually had a lot of things going for it. Skills and proficiencies first appeared there, the idea of playing the monsters, piecemeal armor, the excellent Weapon Mastery rules (which are AMAZING), maybe the only good unarmed and grappling rules that have ever appeared in anything with D&D on the cover, all kinds of poo poo first showed up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Special Abilities Random Roll Charts

This sounds like the best game, unironically.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I had been thinking about skills in D&D lately, and more specifically how much I hate the 3.5 and 4e skill systems and thinking that NWP were one of the things 2nd got right. I remembered 1st Ed and Secondary skills. For those not in the know, they were basically broad almost PDQ Quality like things your guy could do. If you had FISHERMAN and you needed to do something a fisherman could do then you could just sail a boat or fish or do whatever a Fisherman could do. I think they are my favorite to date since they acknowledge the game isn't really about being a blacksmith or a shitfarmer or whatever but at the same time give you the idea that maybe there is stuff outside class your dude could do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

whydirt posted:

AD&D secondary skills would be better if there wasn't a 1 in 6 chance of rolling No Skill of Measurable Worth. Some dudes can't even be actual poo poo-farmers I guess.

Well they became murderhobos for a REASON. We always just picked one.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I have been running Basic/BECMI D&D for our group, they are diggin on it. House rules below:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ypi1m7Q4HjN8UCEuaGNqX6-pp36I9JgOYs7AprCqYoE/edit

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Red_Mage posted:

I'm going to come down from my lofty new school throne and say that if your game requires more than 6 kinds of dice, and has individual spells that require more than 3 steps to resolve you have made a bad game.

But you are definitely right, it is not as bad as Carcosa or LotFP/

Hi, Winnie here. I am going to stay on my throne and say this derail would be best continued in FATAL and Friends or grogs.txt where the merits of Carcosa or LOTFP can better be discussed without loving up an otherwise good thread with discussion of what belongs here or what doesn't. Perhaps if they win their case in those threads they may return here, to this hallowed ground. One could even start their own thread for them, perhaps! I realize this is an arbitrary and somewhat imperious distinction but honestly those two games are both lovely and both advocating for and complaining about them is annoying.

DCC is cool still, tho. I like those modules and they are prolific and honestly if you are running this sort of thing they are a pretty good resource if you want that sort of old rear end module.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

ProfessorCirno posted:

As it hadn't been posted I thought I'd post this, for some old old school.

http://www.velvet-edge.com/Rythlondar.pdf

This is basically a typewritten chronicle of weekly D&D games from the 70's. It'd follow the Dungeon Crawl aspect, I think, until they hit higher levels and go into outdoor adventures. Which means it's basically a prototype for BECMI.

I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS LAST NIGHT. It is uncanny. I had been reading it and thinking it was cool a month or so ago before my old laptop died, and forgot where I had found it. It is some neat stuff, thanks for this.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Since there were no nominations for this month's game of the month, I am gonna sticky THIS as a companion to the current contest. THROWBACK JULY TIME.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Horror on the Hill (B5) is like my all time favorite D&D module. It really holds up pretty well, even today, which is not something I can say about many TSR modules really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Arivia posted:

Winson, I'm fedora-ruling you. You can't say that and not run it. Dooooo it.

You know what? gently caress it, I have tried running it in GURPS, BECMI, and one notably disasterous 4E run.

Darker Dungeons, Horror on the Hill, PBP. I have a BBQ to hit today but I will get the recruit up tomorrow at the latest.

• Locked thread