Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

So, I've started up an AD&D(2e) game with friends, because I think the system is a little more refined for storytelling than Basic. Still, I know basic is still popular with many for its quick dungeoneering capacity. I say this all because I thought I'd create a character sheet for people to use. If you guys dig it, I might do one for ACKS or similar systems. I'm absolutely planning something for AD&D.

I also don't know if this counts as :filez: or not.
You can download it here: Click!

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Dang, tripped and fell into a pool of grog. 2e is what I grew up with and refined was a poor choice of words from sleep. Really I think 2e did cut out and simplify some of the clusterfuck from first, but it's also the load of additional rules and supplements that facilitate some story stuff on top of my dungeon crawling. Mostly I just wanted to share a character sheet! I thought a more modern looking sheet would help. :v:

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Gradenko, a short rest is all a wizard needs to recharge spells at low levels. I can only speak for 2e but a wizard type doesnt need eight hours at low levels. A level one wizard should be able to sling around magic every encounter or so. It takes them ten minutes per spell level per spell to prepare. So its ten minutes o prep to cast that sleep again. Its also worth reconsidering the paradigm of wizards, they arent combat participants as much as dungeon problem solvers. Consider doling out a wand or some scrolls if you want more combat viability too, being able to use a couple charges of an item instead of a spell slot is helpful. Then when its time for an extended rest, they can recharge.

As for crits? Thats what i did, double dice, double modifiers, it got fairly brutal. Great for players, but rough when you roll a critical on them. Something im a fan of is max damage on the basic, roll your dice again and add, if you want to make it more impressive.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Like I said, I can only speak for 2e. But I know with certainty that's in the PHB

FRINGE posted:

Theres also the kind of item that only casts a spell of two but recharges those effects 1/day. So a staff that can "store" an extra magic missile and shield makes a nice backup for early levels. Or one that has a spare detect magic/ read magic or whatever. Last game I ran the wizard received a final "youre not an apprentice anymore" gift that was able to store a couple of distinct spells. (Running through single origin-story episodes helps add some custom tweaks but still keep a good shared narrative.)

I usually made it so that the mage had to decide to "cast" the spell into the device, and then rememorize it themselves, but I was big on time tracking and it worked out that was as another decision/resource.

I love that idea of a parting gift. Might steal it for the future. And to recharge magic items in 2e:

quote:

To recharge an item, it must first be enchanted either through the use of an enchant an item spell or prayer, as noted above. Once prepared, new charges can be cast into the item. One benefit of recharging an item is that each charge requires only the spells' normal casting time (not the 2d4 hours per spell level normally required by the enchant an item spell).
However, recharging is not without risk to the item. Each time the item is enchanted to recharge, it must roll a saving throw vs. spell (using the saving throw of the caster) with a -1 penalty. If this saving throw is failed, the character has accidentally interfered with the magic of the item and it crumbles into useless dust.

So it's something that can be done when the wizard is taking a long rest.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Stupidly responding to someone lost in the wrong thread :v:

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Is there a list of all the classes that were put out for basic dnd?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Thanks, again with the help, all! I'd had a couple of questions concerning b/x however! First, is there a reference sheet or something I could print off in lieu of a dm screen? Second, I know I saw floating around somewhere a list of class features for b/x classes which I believe you could roll on to find a cool thing- it included MUs having a familiar that drained their health.. anyone have that?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

I'm planning on running the Slave Lords series for a friend who's coming into town, does anyone have any advice on making characters in 2e, any advice for the modules, or any good suggestions on props?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

I do know that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

Hot Springs Island is a beautiful piece of work and it's a bit of a shame that I'm so late to the party and still able to buy the hardcovers. It should absolutely be sold out.

You're in luck!

http://shop.swordfishislands.com/

• Locked thread