Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Gau posted:

Also, factor in that most Dungeon subscribers were looking for precisely that sort of content. They wanted deathtraps and overpowered evil mages to challenge their players who had thoroughly fleeced the rules for the optimal choices. It certainly wasn't the default mode of play (in 2E especially), but a lot of the DMs that grew up on Basic/AD&D were still playing that way.

The old D&D books suggested that using metagame/OOC knowledge was grounds for forfeiture of part or all experience for an encounter. That rule didn't come about by accident.

I was actually just reading the super-sexy AD&D reprint edition, which semi-seriously suggests killing non-DM players who read or mention having read something in the DMG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

How are their modules, especially for first ed? I have the books, and I want to run more than just "Random Dungeon" and "Tomb of Horrors" with it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Would it be possible to easily just use the 3/3.5/4 Initiative? I know most monsters don't have listed DEX scores, but you could just make a chart that gives a bonus based on the hit dice the monster hits as.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

moths posted:

I think that 4e's Dungeon Delve had something like it, but it's been a long time since I've seen the 1e version.

I have that book, and it doesn't actually generate the dungeon, it generates the NARRATIVE of the dungeon.

• Locked thread