Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any recommendations for retroclones in the vein of Gamma World? Post-apoc, pulp sci-fi, that sort of thing? I already saw Mutant Future from the Labyrinth Lord guys.

The same guy who did Stars Without Number has done a similar and compatible game called Other Dust. It doesn't seem brilliantly gonzo out of the box, but it's a solid foundation to build up on.

You can take OSR modules and adventures and hammer them until they fit thematically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Ryuujin posted:

Hmm so pegatuars are basically pegasus centaurs.

I searched it on Google, expecting a Pegasus/Minotaur, and was left disappointed.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Covok posted:

Excuse me?

A joke from E/N, I think.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

FASERIP the Not!Marvel Superheroes retro clone has been completed.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Covok posted:

How does FASERIP stack up to modern offerings in the superhero genre?

I'm afraid I can't answer that as I have little experience with either - I just thought it would be worth telling the thread it was complete as it mentioned that it was being made earlier. As much as I can see, FASERIP character creation is randomly determining your powers, removing any that don't make sense with a theme you've chosen in order to exchange them for other background things - wealth, skills, etc. Modern Superhero games pretty much allow you to choose everything, to allow you to create the superhero of your childhood dreams, but such systems are easily broken so there's an unspoken agreement to knock break the rules over your knee.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 23, 2015

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

X-mas In July Sale at DriveThruRpg - 25% off a bunch of PDFs and 15% off POD. If there was any OSR stuff you have in your wish-list, then now would be a good time to check it out. Thinking on getting the second volume of Dysons Delves, myself.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I'd say the same quality. My copy of Silent Legions is as nice as my copy of Yoon-Suin.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

There's a website called donjon that does a lot of different random generators, such as simple dungeons. It may add a bunch of things like encounters, but you can just ignore those/not print them.

Edit: ugh, phone-posting :gonk:

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 21, 2015

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Cross-posting from the RPG Deals & Steals thread:

Bundle of Holding have revived their Old School Revival Bundle, which is available until 22nd of November.

$4.95 gets you Swords and Wizardry plus Eldritch Wizardry and Monster Book gubbins, a retro-clone of 0e D&D, Tomb of the Iron Gods, a 1st level module, the first chapter of Cyclopean Deeps, an underground campaign by Frog God Games, Demonspore, a 3rd-6th level module and finally the OSR Toolkit, a custom collection of a variety of free stuff - No-art versions of Labyrinth Lord and Lamentations of the Flame Princess, both retro-clones of 1e D&D, two guides on "Old-School Gaming" - Philotomy's Musings and Quick Primer of Old-School Gaming - One-Page Dungeon 2013, a collection of One Page Dungeons from a contest, first issues of Knockspell and Dyson's Dodecahedron, fan-zines for OSR and finally a .zip file of various printable graph paper that DMs/Players would find useful.

Beating the threshold (right now just under $13) gets you Adventurer, Conqueror, King, another 1e D&D Retroclone, Stonehell Dungeon, a mega-dungeon, Vornheim: The Complete City Kit and two LotFP modules, The God That Crawls and The Monolith From Beyond Space and Time.

Note that there were also One Page Dungeon competitions for the years 2012, 2014 & 2015, and some different folks did a competition back in 2009, all free, and there's seven more issues of the free zine Dyson's Dodecahedron.

Also, they've announced that they'll be doing a Old School Revival Bundle +3 soon later in the week.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 10, 2015

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

HOLIDAYS25 gives you 25% off your order (excluding eBooks and services) on Lulu.com until the 15th. I think someone already mentioned that Whitehack is already reduced by the author, and here are two lists of recommendations.

Dark/Darker Dungeons, Yoon-Suin and d30 DM/Sandbox Companions are pretty neat.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 11, 2015

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Covok posted:

Is this just the 1920s or a fantasy version? The description suggests the former, but the cover suggests the later.

Looks like it's 1920s but with optional rules to make bizarre pulp games.

quote:

Mark has added in the pulp element of strange and mysterious powers; "These are optional rules designed to add a little of the mysterious and the fantastic to a Judge’s campaign. Be warned that they take The Blue Book Detective Agency Beginner Game away from the straight cops and robbers genre of Gangbusters and into the territory of The Shadow, Black Bat, G-8, The Spider, The Phantom Detective, and other Pulp heroes and anti-heroes. This is likely to change the tone of the game, making it more like what a 21st century readership would think of as the Pulp magazines of the 1920s and 1930s. If the Judge decides to take his campaign down this route, the traditional set-up in the Pulps would be for one character, the protagonist, to have the strange and mysterious power, as with The Shadow or Doc Savage. Unless the playing group is willing to play in this format, it is not recommended as it does mean that the focus of game shifts to the player character with the power. Instead, it is suggested that each character have his own secret power to aid him in fight against crime, or indeed, his stand against the Law."

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Peter Regan of gaming material online store Squarehex, and writer/publisher of Oubliette, a Old School 'Zine, has set up another kickstarter - this time alongside David Black, of black!, an RPG blog of musings and such. It's for The Black Hack, a OSR RPG based on ye olde Ninteen Seventy-Ecks Popular Fantasy RPG©.

Anyway, what does this product offer in a rapidly crowding market of Old School systems? Well, we haven't been told much yet, other than it's built for speed and sits within 20 pages of a5 paper, but here's the character sheet:

So, built into this system we can see there's already a simplified encumbrance system, of which we can see more of an older, WIP version on his blog to give us some insight, and abstract recording of consumables. A quick glance through Black's blog may shed some light of other ideas he has for his OSR hack. I'm personally not sure what to think of the possible inclusion of fifth-edition style "disadvantage", although it may work better in a system like 0E where the target numbers don't quite spiral up like they do in 3E+.

Oddly enough, Regan himself will be kickstarting a more traditional retro-clone called FOSSIL, or Fantasy Old School System Index Lite, later this year because everyone and their mum is doing that right now.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Covok posted:

Is there any Dark Sun primer coffee book like the one for Eberron in 3rd Edition D&D?

I know that Eberron book is light on details and just drops the big plot hooks and basic assumptions, but that's all I use when running a setting, personally, and find the added detail of most setting books distracting.

I believe it was largely the box set and then supplements, each of the supplements focusing on a certain class or race. I wouldn't think the 4th edition books (two, I think, one with the main rules and one with monsters) offer enough info to be what you're looking for.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

LeSquide posted:

So, anyone have any experience with this big book of B/X style classes?
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/148348/Class-Compendium?src=DotDem

It's on daily sale, and I love goofy piles of character options, but I don't want to spend 5$ on "this wizard gets +1 damage to fire spells but -1 damage to all other elemental spells."

It's a bit more different than that. It's more like the extra classes that came in the gazettes, way back when. Dwarfen Runesmith, Halfling Burglar, etc. It seems alright, haven't played a game with any of the classes yet.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Frog God Games is kickstarting a third reprint of Swords & Wizardry, this time edited by ConTessa founder Stacy Dellorfano and the team she's picked. The rules aren't changing, but it looks a lot more pleasant to the eyes.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

If they leave, then the boss of the dungeon plans a counter attack or leaves the dungeon and takes their treasure with them.

A counter attack may be against a nearby human settlement, or they make entry to the dungeon through the same way much harder.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Holmes Archive has put one together for Basic D&D but it's no where as intensive as the Judges Guild one.

Although, the sheets seemed to be more of a beta version of what would be the Dungeon Master guides, so people nowadays just compile their own lists of pages from the guides that they find useful at the table. Perhaps a new 'Retro-Clone Reference Sheet' could find it's place in the market, or something.

Edit: New Big Dragon Games did make the d30 DM and d30 Sandbox Companions, which fit much the same place as the Ready Ref Sheets, but make use of the d30. (Or a d3 followed by a d10 if you don't have the sillier of the silly dice that we all know and love)

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 1, 2017

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Megazver posted:

Out of curiosity, where?

In my brief look through, there's a gallery of art and some quasi-undying critics of that art - Zak seems to be one of those "It's not my fault that you are simply too stupid to understand the greatness of my art!" types and so these critics are his worse nightmare, querying the quality of work in the gallery by means that Zak obviously feels is unrelated to the work, but Zak is clearly misunderstanding or just doesn't know about various concepts of "Death of the Author" and so on.

Also, Zak still browses this forum, or at least the Fatal&Friends thread, looking for stuff to moan about for his blog so incase he sees this thread - Hi Zak! :wave:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

There's an OSR/Dungeon World kind of game called something like The Shadows Underneath by the Red Box Vancouver guy. It has an expanded section on how your PCs can spend their cash. An art-free version is available on DriveThruRPG/RPGNow.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Nickoten posted:

Are you referring to The Nightmares Underneath? If so it seems really cool, though I haven't been able to play it.

Yes, The Nightmares Underneath. I even have a dead tree copy of it but I'm a goon and I'd suffer death than actually look around my apartment for it.

While the game's overall theme is a bit different (it's more about a lot of extra-dimensional dungeons that pop up in hidden places due to human misery rather than a singular, legendary megadungeon - plus there's sanity effects and characters will just retire if they get enough cash, etc) it does have a bunch of 'rules' you could use for investing in businesses and such, or make the surrounding town not hate you because you're the latest bunch of murderhobos to pitch their tent in their town.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Megazver posted:

Hot Springs Island, Yoon-Suin, Maze of the Blue Medusa, Perdition, Hubris, Veins of the Earth are all considered p. good.

Maze is less a setting than a dungeon. It could fit in any setting, your characters just need to stumble through a painting.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

May be worth checking out Umerica and the classes that come with that - there's a Wasteland version of most of the generic DCC classes in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

For clones, there's Taxidermic Owl Bear's list, which may not have been updated for a couple years, or there's Ynas Midgard's list which is updating as much as people tell him to update the list and it's considerably larger and includes links as to where to download or purchase the product.

• Locked thread