Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The part of DCC that I actually kinda like is the idea of funneling a bunch of level-0 characters to get to the actual campaign. I wouldn't want to do it in any serious campaign I wanted to run, but playing it like D&D Paranoia might be a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

People get playmats and stuff printed from here quite often: http://www.bannersonthecheap.com/

I don't think you're going to find any really good ways to do it cheaply and with tons of quality.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I really hope they'll give the Rules Cyclopedia a premium reprint at some point, it's one of the few retro D&D books I'd like to have in print, and it's very expensive on ebay.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Backed that 3rd printing kickstarter. I've been waiting for it to come out for a while, since I wanted to get a print copy of S&W and I like the cover a lot better.

It's really funny how angry it's making a certain set of grogs. I've read several comments about how people are totally going to get the new PDF when that's out and print it on Lulu with the old cover.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ratpick posted:

I thought the Swords & Misandry thing was just a joke making fun of how people might react, but are people really throwing a fit over the new art not having enough dudes in it?

I'm not going to go hunt through forums or anything but you can just look at the comments here: http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2016/10/kickstarter-swords-wizardry-complete.html#comment-form

Having an explicit mission statement of trying to move beyond nostalgic appeal isn't going over well with some people, before you get into the whole all-female art design team

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 7, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

slap me and kiss me posted:

With all this grand plan in mind, I'd love to know what, in your opinions, are the sorts of things that really make introductory adventures shine?

Make sure there's a way to teach your game through examples in a fairly condensed way. If I was proposing a new RPG to my friends I'd like to be able to teach them the nuances and build characters all in the first session, so that they don't feel like we have to do multiple sessions of prep work before we even get to play the "real" game.

On the published material front, there's a version of Swords and Wizardry coming out sometime in the near future that's chopped down to 4 pages for the whole ruleset. I'm hoping that's good.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'll be all over it when they can print me a Rules Cyclopedia.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a running tracker for which D&D classics are available for POD?

The only thing I've found is the rpg.net thread, PoD starts on this page: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?745901-D-amp-D-Classics-Thread-of-DOOM!/page85

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

dont even fink about it posted:

They don't use it because it's about a paragraph's worth of "Do whatever feels right" extended to several pages.

This is how to assign hero abilities.

-Asking you to use outside resources, strike one... Or ignore them at your leisure! Whatever!

-No balance system or consideration of balance whatsoever

-Obvious predilection toward playing an established Marvel character

It's remarkably shallow, to the point of being lazy. Notably, fans have done work on trying to establish a point system or really anything.

There's not a point system or attempt to balance powers against one another because, once you play the game, you quickly realize that none of that actually matters and some player deciding to give himself straight D12's doesn't actually hurt anything.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Impermanent posted:

Huh, that sounds interesting, but I'm not sure where I'd find a copy of Chainmail?

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17010/Chainmail-Rules-for-Medieval-Miniatures-0e?term=Chainmail&manufacturers_id=44&test_epoch=0&it=1

Play GURPS though

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Relating the bundle to the earlier discussion in here, I’ve found that I get most of what I liked about ACKS, the domain management, from An Echo Resounding.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You should check out the Company rules in Reign which are all about your players having an organization (adventuring company, kingdom, whatever) that is separate from but influenced by their characters.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Impermanent posted:

is BECMI worth getting in to as someone who came in during the 3.5 era and now mostly plays things like fellowship or spellbound kingdoms or blades in the dark? If I were to try to get a game of this running, how would I get this monstrosity tamed and accessible to my players, and what sections of the rules should I use?

To echo what everyone else said, I think you’ll like BECMI (it’s my favorite D&D hands-down) as long as yourself it for what it’s intended for and don’t try to replace any of those games you mentioned playing with it. It obviously doesn’t have anything in the way of modern mechanics, but it’s good for dungeon crawls, outdoor exploration and, if you get into it, light domain management where you get to have wizards towers and thieves guilds and stuff.

Another nice thing is that there’s 30 years of house rules floating around so if you run into something you want to tweak there are tons of ideas out there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Impermanent posted:

Thanks for all the advice on BECMI. I guess my follow-up question is: why would it be a good idea to play BECMI instead of something like Torchbearer or DCC or any of the other retroclones? What does it have going for it that other editions and retroclones don't have?

Well, Torchbearer is its own unique thing that doesn't really count as a retroclone/old D&D-style game despite being a dungeon crawl, so I'd say if you're looking for that desperate sense of always being one step ahead of death then I'd go for it over whatever else.

As for BECMI vs other flavors of retroclones, it just depends on what kind of mechanical complexity you're looking for out of a game. It (and the retroclones "inspired" by it, like Labrynth Lord and Dark Dungeons) are fairly simple and provide an ease of play while still being very recognizably D&D. DCC goes off the deep end and has you rolling a billion different kinds of dice, including ones you probably don't actually own. I like DCC, but it's got very different goals while still being under the retroclone umbrella.

Plus, like Xotl said, you have access to basically every old adventure you would care to revisit plus a lot of other material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Impermanent posted:

Thanks for the torrent of useful information and tips over the past few pages - it's really been excellent and is hyping me up for this game! I have one more question - how would you recommend balancing encounters / published resources for an adventuring party of 2 or 3 players?

Buy Scarlet Heroes, this is literally what it's for. It goes at the other way, by empowering heroes such that 1 (or two or three) can handle an adventure intended for a larger group.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/127180/Scarlet-Heroes

• Locked thread