Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm assuming that if I get Darker Dungeons, it still works with BECMI stuff and just has less archaic rules?

Generally yes. You just need to be able to translate count-down attack tables into count up bonuses which are helpfully included in Darker Dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

obeyasia posted:

I run DCC regularly and it scratches all the itches I had regarding table top RPGs. Feel free to ask me anything.

Any cool stories?
How does the fighter's MIGHTY DEEDS thing work out in practice?
How do you find the Luck rules working out?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Speaking of great things Kevin Crawford has done...

The man's at it again.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, on the Sine Nomine end of things, I'm super excited by a bunch of the stuff Kevin Crawford is brewing up.

Starvation Cheap is due to start its kickstarter on Monday the 13th. Another Stars Without Number book, it's full of

quote:

25 new War Tags to help define the nature of conflicts between terrestrial foes, plus a mission-building system that walks you through the process of turning a random battlefield into a playable night's gaming. There are guidelines for constructing planetary armies, and procedures for building or hiring mercenary legions should the PCs get a few million spare credits in their pockets and want to express their unhappiness with someone. And, of course, there are tools for playing the grunts on the battlefield, toting the latest in military hardware and wielding that most lethal of modern weapons: a functioning radio.

This was the book that was announced at the end of his last Kickstarter, so it's certainly not a surprise, but I'm very excited to see it come out. The mission building system sounds like something I've been looking for out of a sci-fi RPG for a while, and the rest is just gravy.

On the other hand,
Advanced Eidolons And Exemplars is already available in the form on a slowly incrementing beta. I have a feeling that the slim little original E&E may have been a surprise hit for him (and so far it's been a lot of fun for me to run), but this version full of demigods, strange mystical schools, and a congealing implied setting seems like it's going to go much further. I've been thinking of trying to run a game of it on the forums, but I'm not sure how much intersection there is between people into OSR stuff (even Sine Nomine's) and folks who want to be world striding heroes from the get go.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

VacuumJockey posted:

I folded and got myself Yoon-Suin from Lulu. The author describes it thusly:.

"Yoon-Suin is a campaign toolbox for fantasy games, giving you the equipment necessary to run a sandbox campaign in your own Yoon-Suin - a region of high adventure shrouded in ancient mysteries, opium smoke, great luxury and opulent cruelty.

Contains: A bestiary of unique monsters, including self-mummified monks, liquid golems, tiger-beetle men, figments, and dozens more;
a new character class, the Crab-man; a chapter for each of the major regions of Yoon-Suin, filled with random generators to brainstorm map contents, social groups, and more; extended rules for poisons, tea, opium, trade, deities and so on; extended rules for exploring the Old Town of the Yellow City, and the haunted jungles of Lahag; many encounter tables; well over 100 pre-written adventure locales; purple prose; 320+ pages of usefulness."

And holy crap, he wasn't kidding - in many ways this book like a tribute to High Gygaxian weirdness, but jampacked with Kevin-Crawford-like tables for generating useful campaign content.

Highly recommended; IMO this one is right up there with Vornheim and Red Tide.

Scumedit: It would play pretty drat well with E&E - I think. Anyone seen any actual play reports on E&E?
Is there a pdf&print bundle of Yoon-Suin anywhere?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, I'm getting ready to start an Advanced Eidolons and Exemplars game in the PbP forum here. There's some implied setting in the existing beta, but not that much; do folks who are interested in that sort of game have any thought about what might work best? I'm considering something more based on ancient Mesopotamia with elements of Kirby-esque divinity, but I'm not sure if that's too weird to get going.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Stepped pyramids, Priest-Kings, stone tablets, bronze weapons, capricious divinities, predators of man lurking in the darkness, and outsider cultures threatening to knock down the walls.

Maybe I'm overthinking it; Mostly, I want to avoid bland fantasy-but-with-more-powers!, and kirby-esque divinity and weird sorcery science might be a better direction to go for that.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Lightning Lord posted:

It sounds really awesome. Can I play a thinly veiled version of Orion?

Depends on how close to the source material you're aiming for, really!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of Kevin Crawford, when's that recruiting thread going up, LeSquide? :v:

I'm bad at maps :saddowns:

My desire for a suitable map is currently the biggest hurdle left, not going to lie.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Could you go into depth about your issues with Suns of Gold? I've used bits of it quite often, but never the actual commodity trader type campaign.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

aldantefax posted:

Specific major changes compared to the current?

Largely the same.

quote:

The content of the fourth printing is largely similar to prior printings. The interior is very similar to the third printing, with some corrections of typographical errors, minor errata, and updated ads in the back. There is a new low-level adventure by Harley Stroh entitled The Abbott of the Woods, which replaces the short adventure The Infernal Crucible of Sezrekan the Mad. And there are a few pieces of new interior art where we missed white space on the previous three printings.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
No. That was Vampire. And he said it causes brain damage

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, anyone have any experience with this big book of B/X style classes?
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/148348/Class-Compendium?src=DotDem

It's on daily sale, and I love goofy piles of character options, but I don't want to spend 5$ on "this wizard gets +1 damage to fire spells but -1 damage to all other elemental spells."

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

dont even fink about it posted:

As a technical writer, the thing that bothers me about tabletop RPGs is that most writers do not get that character creation should be a linear procedure. At no time should you need to flip back and forth to reference things that are out of order. The goal is to make it as easy as possible for a person to learn it--they need merely follow the steps.

There are too many games that are actually quite simple that require players to spend hours learning what they are supposed to be doing. That's horrible.

Are there any that you think do it well, especially regarding more complex systems?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

gradenko_2000 posted:

People have been passive-aggressively writing their hangups into their RPGs since the Arneson's Egg of Coot and Hargrave's Stafford's Star Bridge.

I know about the Egg of Coot, but what's Stafford's Star bridge?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a spell from The Arduin Grimoire, a very early "3rd-party" OD&D supplement by David Hargrave, notable for having a poo poo-ton of tables and charts, gonzo rules, and a very early critical hit system. Like a lot of such works, it was essentially a collection of houserules from Hargrave's own experience DMing his own games of D&D

It was supposed to have been published by Greg Stafford's Chaosium, but AFAIK he pulled out at the last second because Arduin's content was kind of haphazardly assembled. Hargrave had to resort to other means to get Arduin published, and he wrote in a magical spell called Stafford's Star Bridge that would create a bridge of rainbow light across gaps, but "can be keyed to support any single type (or more), letting all others fall through selectively" as a reference to Stafford letting his deal with Hargrave "fall through".

I'm actually impressed that it became a usable, interesting spell!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Blacky the Blackball didn't like the job he did of the layout, IIRC, and considered it more of a rules hack for Dark Dungeons/BECMI than anything else.

It's also one of my favorite ways to play basic, so I was bummed when he pulled it. If you need access to it, though, I think he still gives it out on request.

You can still get the hardcopy on Lulu.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/blacky-the-blackball/darker-dungeons-hardback/hardcover/product-17969355.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/blacky-the-blackball/darker-dungeons-softcover/paperback/product-18744017.html

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, Stars Without Number 2e is out!
In preparation for an upcoming game, I've been working on some material for it. Eventually it'll probably include some more Foci, an Adept class, and some more space magic stuff on the player facing side, but first I wanted to tackle player character cyborgs.
The setting I’m working on now is designed to have cybernetic augmentation be fairly common, and full-conversion cyborgs present across most of sector space. I want these characters to be available for PCs from the getgo.
While deluxe SWN does a fine job providing cybernetics as an option for well-heeled characters and a variety of mechanical bodies for transhumans and AI, both those present some problems if I were to port them directly.
If a player wants to play Briareos, I don’t want them to have to wait to suffer a traumatic accident in four levels when they’ve saved up enough money, and if someone wants to play Cobra, I don’t want them just chomping at the bit to cut off their own arm once they have enough money to get a prosthetic limb and body arsenal array. In a lot of the sci-fi I’m drawing from, being a cyborg is a major character defining trait, rather than something one picks up when they have enough cash.
The shell and armature rules generally assume a level of body-swapability I’m not looking for here, as well as drastically changing the assumptions for how a character’s stats would look compared to one who used the normal array (my preferred method of SWN character creation), so I’m hesitant to adapt those wholesale.
So, instead I’m going to try and use an Origin Focus to enable the sort of characters I’m envisioning. I’ve decided to go with two levels enable characters like Adam Jensen or Glory on one level, and characters like Briareos, Raiden, or even Major Kusanagi on another.

Cyborg
Whether by choice or by fortune, you’ve enhanced your body and abilities with cybernetic enhancements. They may be the result of military service, experimental installations, or self-experimentation, but they’re yours now. Through your contacts, you can keep yourself on the cutting edge of cybernetic technology.

Level 1: Chromed up. You can take half your level of System Strain in cybernetic systems without additional monetary cost, rounded up. When you gain more points of cybernetic available after leveling up, any downtime in a culture with sufficient technology and resources allows you to gain your new upgrades. During this time, you may also replace existing systems with their equivalent in System Strain if you so choose. You may choose to take any number of prosthetic limbs or purely aesthetic modifications at character creation for free, without counting against your points of “free” cybernetics.

Level 2: Full Conversion. Your body has been almost entirely replaced by a cybernetic shell, leaving only a few select organic components keeping your brain alive. Your nearly-closed biological system requires food and water only once a week, and can survive with your internal air supply even in a total vacuum for up to eight hours.
Your cybernetic shell can be healed with spare parts and the work of someone with Fix-0 skill. You can even without the requisite skill. Each unit of spare parts heals lost hit points equal to your character level and takes fifteen minutes to apply. If your body is reduced to 0 hit points, your brain can survive to be rescued for up to eight hours, though any deliberate attack targeting your organic parts after your body is disabled will mortally wound you. Full Conversion Cyborgs cannot normally be affected by biopsionic healing effects that restore hit points; any trauma that successfully affects their remaining organic systems is almost always enough to kill them, though biopsionic powers can stabilize them.
Your hitpoints and maximum System Strain remain the same. If your appearance is obviously inhuman and cybernetic but don’t have any cybernetic systems increasing your defenses, your AC starts at 13 but does not stack with armor. If you have a covert appearance unidentifiable from human, your AC starts at 10.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
For folks who are into Godbound, it looks like Lexicon of the Throne will be available in the first half of July.

The index and relevant post are here.

Looks like it includes balance and creation discussion of Strifes as well as Words, which is nice.

• Locked thread