Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I like the idea behind racial classes but the way BECMI/RC implements them is kinda wonky which is why one of many things that won me over about ACKS was how they implemented Racial Classes and their oh so wonderful class building system, which reminds me I need to get back to my project of converting the Orcs of Thar & Creature Crucible races to ACKS(and halflings[which is complicated by the fact that I intend to make at least 2 classes for each race to match the amount of classes Dwarves & Elves get in the core rulebook for ACKS])

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

What can I say, DCC is so completely over the top, while also being so completely full of itself, that it just deserved a humor category of its own. It's a joke that takes itself seriously, an extreme that revels in its extremities, and is at least reportedly playable while not having awful content. It's a standout from basically every angle you look at it from, so it gets to stand out.

I could give two figs about its gameplay, but there ya go.

Yes that is true although we should put a footnote explaining that so it doesn't come off as us saying DCC is terrible, because it isn't(in fact in my opinion it's the second best OSR ruleset behind Adventurer Conqueror King System and with Dark Dungeons, Mazes & Minotaurs, and Basic Fantasy Role-Playing as the top 5 OSR games)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Bruce Heard is amazing. He also wrote the article about Rakasta bloodlines that included Displacer Beast heritage. That means that he is the first D&D author to introduce displacerbeastmen as player options.

(Also, he wrote Orcs of Thar, which is just about the finest Monstrous PC supplement. The split between the humorous surface and the serious underworld was great.)

Well the fluff part of Orcs of Thar is fine but if I remember the crunch part of that book sucked since the Racial Classes in that book were stupidly underpowered(an issue that plagued most of BECMI/RC's Racial Classes)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'd suggest anyone looking for a more unique OSR game to give Hideouts & Hoodlums a look; a superhero game based on the Golden Age of Comic & derives it's rules from Swords & Wizardry White Box and is pretty good, also it's pretty cheap(the entire game only costs about $25 total)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

hectorgrey posted:

On the one hand, I can see what you mean with limiting their weapon damage; after all, it's the fighter's job to be good at fighting, and it's the thief's job to either shank stuff in the back or lob arrows from a safe distance - and of course to disarm traps and pick locks. The priest's job is a combination of providing backup to the fighter if needed and healing people after the fight. But what's the wizard's job - particularly at low level? It certainly isn't anything combat related, because with only one spell per day, and only the shittiest of weapons as a backup, they're basically completely loving useless in a fight until about fifth level.

I generally do two things(or would if I had ever successfully ran an RPG, seriously I've tried running an RPG at least a dozen times since 2008 in at least 8-14 different systems and not once have we managed to get past character creation, and this is with one consistent group too:shepicide: ); 1.) doubling if not tripling the amount of spells a class gets at the first level it gets spells(so for example a first level Mage in ACKS gets 2-3 spells plus whatever ones it might get from it's INT bonus) and 2.) I give level 1 Mages/Wizards/Magic-Users(depending on system) equivalents to the level 1 At-Will spells from 4th Edition D&D that as the name implies are under normal circumstances unlimited use(for example the two I've already thought up of are Magic Bullet which works like Magic Missile except it only does 1d4 damage, and Magic Touch which is a melee use spell that does 1d4+1 damage and both spells can be fluffed up in whatever way is most appropriate for that given Spell-Caster), I'll admit both of these ideas would need playtesting to see if they're any good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OtspIII posted:

Not to say this is a bad idea, but when you're talking about at-will spells it seems like it's real easy just to end up reflavoring throwing/stabbing with a dagger; there isn't a huge difference between a ranged attack for 1d4 damage with a knife or with a minor spell. You could always make it a bit different by saying that the spell always hits or can easily be fired into melee or something, but that very quickly begins to overshadow the classes who don't get to have crazy once-a-day abilities; between a 1d4 damage attack that always hits and a 1d6 bow attack that misses half the time, I'd pretty much always take the 1d4 one. Hell, since front ranks and stuff are so important in early D&D I'd even probably take a 1d4 ranged attack that I can fire freely into melee over a bow.

What I think might be interesting are minor control at-wills, though. Shine light in a goblin's eyes to give it -2 to hit for the round, or halve an enemy's move speed by icing the ground. Let the mage influence the fight without giving them access to both encounter-enders and reliable all-day damage.

A large part of the idea behind the At-Will attack spells is that they give the Magic User a way to contribute to combat and still be magical(since a wizard rushing up to try and stab a goblin with a dagger comes off as silly, and I've never liked wizards using crossbows on a thematic level) without overshadowing the other more directly combat capable classes(also a detail I forgot to mention about Magic Bullet & Touch is that they can be keyed to various elements besides the standard Force for various effects[at the cost of doing one less damage on all rolls above 1], for example Fire and Acid cause a successfully hit enemy to take 1 damage per round for the next 1d4 rounds, while Ice halves an enemy's movement speed for 1d4 rounds), although again this will need playtesting to see if it's viable without breaking the game(another house rule of mine is to use ACKS' Cleaving rules in all OSR systems that aren't DCC[which has the Mighty Deeds of Arms rules instead], this gives Fighters a much needed bit of oomph)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

The quick start is just an abbreviated version of the White Box rules, as in it only goes up a few levels.

The White Box is a clone of the original/0 Edition/three booklet D&D. It has much simpler rules, such as 1d6 +/- 1 for all weapons and far less emphasis on the value of attribute scores.

The Complete Rules is a clone of B/X / Rules Compendium D&D, with much more fleshed out rules. You've got varying damage dice, more classes like the Druid, Monk and Paladin, and more high-level and out-of-dungeon options.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in your old-school gameplay. White Box is simpler and is much easier to pick up and play, whereas the Complete Rules are more representative of what (we think) D&D was.
Actually you're wrong about Complete, it's still a 0e clone it just integrates the additional 4 rules supplements that were made before they split the game into the AD&D and BX/BECMI versions that the game was until 3e came out

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Did anyone ever try to play B/X with the "Fighter gains an army at level 9+" rules? It should be possible to hack something up using either this passage from X37:

"Fighter. The fighter will be 7th to 10th level, wandering the land (often going to or coming from a battle). The fighter usually has 2 retainers of 3rd to 6th level who have the same alignment as the leader."

Or the creating an NPC party guidelines from page X53, or even from the Fighter's Followers percentile table in the 2E PHB, and then the way I was thinking of doing it would be that they'd be ablative armor: the player still only takes actions as a single character, but he gets extra attacks, HP, etc as though the other followers were the ones doing it (and computer rerolling can speed up this process), and taking damage means they get killed off first, and then you could also just come up with a cost to rehire/retrain fallen dudes.

But I suppose the first question is if you even need something like this, or can the Fighter take on high-level monsters all by himself (and his party) assuming you were still just going into Dungeons and killing Dragons and not putting the players in a situation where you'd need to bust out the Mass Combat rules.

Look up Adventurer Conquerer King, it should fit your needs perfectly(and is one of the best and most complete OSR games in my opinion)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I don't remember hearing anything connecting the people who make ACKS with Gamersgate or anything of that sort, mind posting some sources to those accusations please, also in regards to mass combat, they are doing that in a supplement

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Eh doesn't really seem enough to boycott a game over in my opinion, even if this whole Gamersgate thing is kind of an awful thing(and the links between Escapist and Autarch are kinda skeezy on a business level), especially since nothing in ACKS itself reflects these issues

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Arivia posted:

Macris himself assembled the "game developers talk about Gamergate" interviews at the Escapist, which was not only misogynist and sexist in its setup, but was editorially positioned as a hit-piece on the targets of Gamergate and other women. It gave a pulpit to Desborough, "Xbro," RogueStar (or whatever his name is) and a number of other misogynist devs with questions specifically positioned to come off positively towards Gamergate. Greg Tito (also part of ACKS) spoke about this, even though he was part of it himself.

If you think trying to ruin women's lives, kill them, and push anyone marginalized out of gaming isn't a reason to boycott something, that's your privilege showing and you should be ashamed of yourself.

It's less me trying to be privileged and more me trying to stay as uninvolved in this whole mess as much as possible either way(not much an overweight, white NEET can do to progress the causes of Feminism and Multiculturalism, and boycotting something as niche as a tabletop RPG isn't going to help one way or another)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TheSpookyDanger posted:

As a for instance: not financially contributing to poo poo bags that do this kind of thing. Also, pretending the poo poo happening to other people isn't really your problem is, in fact, pretty privileged.

It's less that it's not my problem, it's more that there's nothing I can do to help, so I'm keeping out of it entirely(and I bought my copies of ACKS and it's expansion a long time ago, so it's not like I'm financing them now), also this is off topic so let's stop talking about it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I'm in favor of At-Will spells for magical classes(the other solution being increasing the amount of normal spells they start out with), although most of them should deal 1d4 damage or less, and shouldn't do more than 1d6 damage at least at early levels(by Domain levels they could probably be given more of a bump)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any recommendations for retroclones in the vein of Gamma World? Post-apoc, pulp sci-fi, that sort of thing? I already saw Mutant Future from the Labyrinth Lord guys.
There's some stuff for Dungeon Crawl Classics that deals with this sort of thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tulpa posted:

Into the Odd is in the top 5 for OSR RPGs. As in, it's one of the only five things out of the OSR worth playing. It ranks just below Whitehack and Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures.

That's a pretty drat bold claim that only a handful of OSR products are any good, got anything to back that claim up?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Arivia posted:

The sadly high amount of racism/sexism/transphobia in the community? You throw a rock, you hit 3 oppressors.

I'll admit I can't think of many examples of that, besides The Escapist and Autarch being connected, and LOTFP and some of the content made for it being pretty skeevy in nature

Tulpa posted:

My metric is just 'does this do something interesting that B/X D&D doesn't'. You can probably guess the other OSR games I like based on that criteria alone. As usual, you can probably add a disclaimer when someone makes a bold claim that they're talking about their opinion and preferences.

That makes sense, I mean it's one I partially disagree with(although comparing an OSR game with the version of D&D it's closest too is never a bad idea), especially since a decent amount of OSR content can't be directly compared with BX/BECMI era D&D since they either use original systems(Mazes & Minotaurs, Castles & Crusades, and Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG all fall under this for example) or emulate a non-D&D system(admittedly not too many of these, and I can't remember the names of any off the top of my head right now)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dungeon Crawl Classics does it rather well also, heck most Retroclones that aren't really setting specific can be modded to do this sort of thing rather easily

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah I want to try out DCC, along with a lot of OSR style games. Actually looking through DCC, do some characters get a 3rd attack at 10th level? Or is that 3rd Action Dice only meant to be used on other things?

Also did DCC ever gain any more classes than were in the core book?

DCC probably has some of the healthiest 3rd Party support of any OSR game besides Labyrinth Lord and Swords & Wizardry

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FRINGE posted:

There was a FR supplement that had a bunch of info on merfolk/aquatic elves/other sea things.

I think it was this? :

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sea_of_Fallen_Stars_%28sourcebook%29

http://www.amazon.com/FALLEN-STARS-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/0786913932

If he was playing BX/BECMI/RC era D&D or an OSR variant I'd recommend looking up the supplement they made back then for playing Aquatic races

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

The Sea People.

Yeah that's the one, I'm kinda surprised no one's cloned that and the other racial class books that were made for Classic D&D

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Hey man, Top Ballista is the best.

As is Tall Tales of The Wee Folk, and Night Howlers, although it's a shame that Orcs of Thar isn't quite up to snuff

Also thinking about taking advantage of that Lulu sale, although I'm not sure whether to get Dark Dungeons or Labyrinth Lord

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah I have wanted to try out the Treant, the Sea Giant, and the Troll. As well as something from Night Howlers. But never got the chance.

Hmm so pegatuars are basically pegasus centaurs.

Also Sphinxes are playable and they eventually get holy crazy damage and AC. Of course they only get up to level 3, and it takes 3 million xp to get to the point of a normal Sphinx. Hmm treants seemed so expensive xp wise, starting out much better than a fighter but then being many levels behind by the time they get to 10th level, but it looks like a sphinx costs more just to get to base 0 level than a treant to get to 10th level. Sea Giants are somewhere in between xp cost wise, do some crazy damage, have nearly as good AC as the Sphinx, but also cannot breathe out of water.
one idea I've had for a long time was to make new versions of those classes that would be better balanced for more standard games, probably by balancing them out to Rules Cyclopedia standards of 36 levels

FRINGE posted:

I had never looked through that set of race/class books. If I ever have some used ones in front of my face I may grab them.

For monster-based games theres always "Monstrous Humanoids" from 2e for some extra ideas. It didnt go too far off the beaten path, but gives a good starting point for things that fall roughly between pixie and firbolg.

... And the last three super-focussed 2e monster books were pretty entertaining. "The Sea Devils" (Sahauguin), "The Illithiad" (Mind Flayers), and "I, Tyrant" (Beholders).
Complete Book of Humanoids is a piece of garbage, with most of the races there being near unplayable due to terrible class and level limits

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FRINGE posted:

Ive never played a game with anyone ever that payed any attention to those.

My firbolg and his minotaur buddy were lots of (horribly over-powered for the campaign) fun. :colbert:

I'll admit I'm also a little bitter that a friend of mine who ran a 2E game ages ago wouldn't let me make a Gnoll/Flind character, he was going to be a Hyena-Man version of Gilgamesh too(also that game instilled a huge distaste for 2E for me)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FRINGE posted:

We always sorted out ahead of time "what kind" of game we would be doing. Sometimes it was "anything you come up with", and sometimes it was constrained by the initial setting/story. I played a gnoll fighter in a "mercenary party" game once and it was fun. OTOH there were games where the premise was "human politics" or "underground races" or whatever and then we did that.

I think too many games go wrong when the players/gms dont discuss things ahead of time. (Assuming youre playing with friends and not the theoretical games that people in various threads refer to where they are somehow playing with weirdos and strangers.) Its also easier to fit in something 'different' with some communal brainstorming, and that lets everyone in on the narrative.

Doesn't help that while I consider said DM to be a friend, he could be a massive dick, in a 4E game he ran before that he went behind my back and started bitching about me and my character online in an incredibly petty, mean, and rude manner instead of talking to me about it

Also bit the bullet and bought a copy of Dark Dungeons off of Lulu with that discount code someone posted earlier

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FRINGE posted:

Yeah theres no helping that. But its not 2es fault! :3:

The only time I played a game where the person running it was a loving sociopath was the only time I played Pathfinder. Didnt go back for a second game.

Well it doesn't help that I find both versions of AD&D to be rather bland systems compared to the other TSR versions of the game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The paperback version of Dark Dungeons is ridiculous. It's huge and has no author so it looks like some satanic coffee table book.

Well wouldn't be the first huge OSR book in paperback that I own(Blood & Treasure takes that honor), nor even the largest book I own in general(that would be my copy of the Taschen collection for Little Nemo In Slumberland, which when you think about it would make for an awesome campaign setting for an OSR game)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

my copy of Dark Dungeons arrived in the mail today woo!!!!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are you guys talking about the Rules Cyclopedia retroclone?

yes(it's notable for being approximately the third Retroclone/OSR game I ever got into, after Mazes & Minotaurs[which I wish we'd talk about more often here, because it's a brilliant game, although a little on the shallow end compared to more recent OSR games], and OSRIC)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

It looks like the guy who wrote Dark Dungeons is working on a retroclone of the old Marvel Superheroes game.

That would make this the third Superhero game he's made if I remember properly, and would bring the total of Superhero systems in the OSR movement to somewhere between 5 and 7 if I'm remembering right

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so with a Retroclone of the old TSR Marvel RPG, that brings up the total of OSR Superhero themed games to approximately 5;

Hideouts & Hoodlums: as far as I'm aware the first OSR Superhero game, based on Swords & Wizardry(probably White Box, but I'm not completely sure), and designed for campaigns set in the Golden Age of Superheroes, has a surprisingly high amount of supplementary material(several full supplements, and a dedicated magazine that has a fair amount of issues), all of which is available for dirt cheap, also probably one of the only Superhero systems to ever be class based and have it actually work(and is one of my favorite OSR games)

Mystery Men!: another game that uses Swords & Wizardry as a rules base, created by Blood & Treasure's author, currently appears to be unavailable due to a licensing deal

Codename: Spandex: first Superhero game to come from Dark Dungeons' author, is meant to emulate Superheroes of a power level similar to that of most Bronze Age X-Men(minus Phoenix and a couple other higher tier examples)

MASKS: second Superhero game to come from Dark Dungeons' author, this one is a more generalist system than his first one is

FASERIP: third Superhero game to come from Dark Dungeons' author, this one seems to be overall a relatively straightforward clone of the TSR Marvel RPG in most respects, although the author is apparently going to be making some changes

also bought Pars Fortuna today(also by Blood & Treasure's author) and it looks pretty interesting(also bought both Adventure Fantasy Game, and Into The Odd but I haven't looked at those yet)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 6, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Silhouette posted:

You're missing 4C/Four Color System, a Marvel Superheroes RPG/FASERIP clone.

Admittedly it's been ages since I last saw anyone bring up 4C, and it's not on that site that lists most OSR games so I forgot about that(also now that I think about it, isn't BASH also based on Marvel TSR as well?)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

hectorgrey posted:

I just came across the Red Tide Campaign Sourcebook on Drivethru, and I'm seriously considering picking it up. It's published by the company as Stars Without Number and Spears of the Dawn, and it's essentially the sandbox mechanics from those games ported over to Labyrinth Lord, as well as a random dungeon generator with worked example, new classes and races, and some other interesting looking stuff.

Red Tide is an interesting setting, although personally it doesn't feel very appropriate for use with most OSR systems, feels more like it would work better with Runequest or some other BRP variant

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Libertad! posted:

After writing a shitload of blog articles about magic school campaigns by system and setting (found under this keyword), I'm coming to a point where I'm running out of retro-clones to mine for ideas. The cross-compatibility of B/X clones allows me to get the gist of a lot of rules, but there's now more than a few which I don't have much experience with playing. I don't know how many of you are keen on the idea on OSR and magic school mixing together, but I'm interested in hearing outside voices for inspiration; folks who help me will get credited by username in the blog entry if they so desire.

After I write up an entry for Beyond the Wall, I'm going to be at a loss for stuff to talk about. For a time I tended to focus on retroclones with new settings/mechanics which differed from the standard norm enough to merit its own write-up. Scarlet Heroes' solo PC format, Spears of the Dawn's fantasy Africa backdrop, etc. I could do an entry for similar retroclones, but due to sameness I want to cover areas which can provide new enough ground.

In terms of popular/well-known retroclones I haven't covered, there's Adventurer Conqueror King System (which I do not want to cover due to pro-GamerGate stuff), Dark/er Dungeons, Microlite74, Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, Beyond the Wall (my current project in writing), Crypts & Things, and Blood & Treasure.

Thoughts on which one might be best to cover next?

I'd say either Dark Dungeons, or Blood & Treasure

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Crossposting from the KS thread, I'm sure most of you already know this but Jeff Talanian is currently running a KS for some new adventures for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, his sword & sorcery themed retroclone. The adventures are already written, so no worries there. It's already funded, so it's currently in stretch goal mode. Just as a point of interest, the dinosaur cover is drawn by Val Semeiks, the co-creator of Howard the Duck.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1806106772/hyperborea-adventure-three-pack

that is surprisingly tempting(normally I don't get too excited about adventures besides ones for DCC), also reminds me that I really need to get a physical copy of ASSH one of these days(the pics I've seen of it look amazing, although if anyone here would like to give a review of it to help me decide whether I should buy it soon, or if I can afford to push it back for a while would be very appreciated)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Talanian is talking about compiling the boxed set into a hardcover with additional material (an extra class or two, maybe a few extra monsters, etc) so you might want to hold out. I think he's got a couple of boxes left though.

has he said anything about when that might happen?(shame about him ditching the box format for this new edition, that was one of the more interesting and unique things about it on an aesthetic level, although considering that also means the new version might be a little cheaper that's also good)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Just that it's next on his list after these adventures are published. I think I heard he was having trouble getting new copies of the particular box he used to produce the AS&SH set, might be another factor in him deciding to go book.

that makes sense, I've heard on other forums and blogs that difficulties in acquiring the right sort of boxes for this sort of thing(in both quantity and getting them for a good price so it doesn't jack up the price of the final product too much) is part of the reason why Box Sets for RPGs have become somewhat rare these days

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

yeah that reminds me that I should obtain a print copy of Exemplars & Eidolons, cause it's pretty drat amazing(personally I think it's the best OSR game Kevin Crawford has done, but I'll admit I'm saying that partially cause I haven't read Spears of The Dawn, or Scarlet Heroes yet, and personally think that Stars Without Number is mediocre at best, Silent Legions is overrated, and the Red Tide setting is a very poor fit for D&D style RPG systems)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Goodman Games has just announced Mutant Crawl Classics, but there's very little information about it yet.

hmm I wonder if they're going to stick with preset classes like DCC or are they going to go with something closer to how most versions of Gamma World handle it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Traveller posted:

S&W is as barebones OD&D as it gets without going back to 1974.

Here are the core rules. There's also a "White Box" version that doesn't use material from the supplements.

there's also a "Complete" version that includes most of the crunch from the supplements

also on the White Star/Stars Without Number topic, personally I found both to be incredibly bland and mediocre books although I didn't read White Star all the way through, only read it through the character creation rules, by then I could tell it was very meh at least on a crunch level

also best S&W variant/derivative will continue to be Hideouts & Hoodlums

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Covok posted:

All this tells me is, if you want an OSR space game, play Stars Without Numbers instead.

SWN is definitely better than White Star, but I still found it to be an incredibly mediocre game and pretty much the only OSR product I regret buying a physical copy of(I've found Sine Nomine's output to be an incredibly mixed bag with Exemplars & Eidolons and Spears of The Dawn being their only products I don't have huge reservations about in some form or another)

• Locked thread