Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I found a couple issues of Dungeon from 1991, and while they are fun to read, every one of these adventures looks like it would be horrible to play through.

An adventure for players level 9-12 has them facing off against a 23rd level wizard (and his half-dozen 10th-level apprentices) and a slew of demons. Another has players fighting off a flying, invisible lich in a forest along with a small army of giants and elementals just after they've likely had an encounter with a green dragon.

All the treasure seems meager, cursed, or trapped. You get tons of gold and jewels, but you certainly couldn't buy magic items in 1st or 2nd edition, so I suppose it went toward your stronghold. Explosive runes and sepia snake sigils are pretty popular along with Nystul's magic aura. Touching the wrong thing sends you to a tiny room with no doors or windows and continual darkness and silence cast on them. Is treasure supposed to be a reward for winning a fight, or is getting to the next fight a reward for surviving the treasure?

Everything seems to hinge on having the right character class in the party (you need a bard to play this magical instrument without dying, or you need a ranger to guide you to a clearing without running into four groups of enemies in a row, and you always need a cleric to sling the neutralize poison and remove curse spells.)

I played 2nd edition. It was what I started with. I was a teenager, and I obviously didn't read things very carefully. Character death was rare. Was I playing the game wrong? I am honestly not seeing how people got through these adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

AlphaDog posted:

I mean, you could spin it into a whole adventure where the Celestial Bureaucracy has hosed up and filed form Xc-215 (infraction of local law, by Paladin) was filed instead of Xc-215(b) (infraction of local law, by Paladin during performance of duties specified in and cross-referenced to form Ph-04*) and everyone has to go and sort it out. Because it's a fuckup, instead of the Paladin losing all his cool poo poo immediately, it's working but it will cut off as soon as the form is properly filed and the process is processed, which should be in 7-14 business days. How fast can you get to the local planar branch of the Central Powers (Divine) Processing Office and fix poo poo up? If this branch's Recording Angel has mulfunctioned, then what else has gone wrong? Is it a malfunction at all, or is something malicious happening?

* Ph-04 (Performance of heroic act, standard, Grade D, by Paladin. See appendix E(ii) for the Heroic Act grading scale)
Why is it that bad D&D always inspires the best stories?

I am imagining an epic campaign where a paladin falls for an unjust reason, gets [i]Atonement[i/] cast on him for a fee, and then fights his way to the Celestial Bureaucracy (figuratively and literally) so that he can get a refund in the name of justice and righteousness. Upon completion of the quest, the character is awarded with form letter of apology from Shang Ti, complete with rubber-stamped signature.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Quantumfate posted:

I can only speak for 2e but a wizard type doesnt need eight hours at low levels. A level one wizard should be able to sling around magic every encounter or so. It takes them ten minutes per spell level per spell to prepare. So its ten minutes o prep to cast that sleep again.
This is weird, because I saw the same interpretation of this in the D&D podcast Nerd Poker, where they let spellcasters recharge during short breaks. They also thought casting time was always in rounds, though, so...

Anyway, I am fairly sure that a 1st level wizard in 2E can cast one spell per day.

From page 81 of the horseman cover of the 2E PHB:

quote:

The number of spells a wizard can memorize is given by his level (see Table 21); he can memorize the same spell more than once, but each memorization counts as one spell toward his daily memorization limit.

Basically, as you gain levels, you don't have to memorize all your spells. You can fill the slots with spells as you need them, but you need break periods to memorize them. It's a useful feature for utility spells, but a first level wizard shouldn't be able to reload his magic missile after each battle, at least as far as I can tell. (The video games also only let you cast a certain number of spells per day.)

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

FRINGE posted:

He said "race description" and I figured that would have some story/setting/ideas for how to play one. I always assume that whoever is running the game has already decided on the stats.

When I was flipping through related books I found this, just in case anyone wants to play a pegataur. http://www.amazon.com/Ballista-Creature-Crucible-Accessory-Dungeons/dp/0880387742/

I cant tell you how many times Ive said "Man, I wish I could play a pegataur!". :v:

Haha, who would want to play a fantastic creature in a fantasy game?

The book also contains rules for nagpas, so you can irritate your friends with skeksis impersonations all night!

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Absolutely. Material that isn't suitable for one game might be perfect for another, and it could illustrate lots of pitfalls and help people avoid them.

The solo aspect would also really set it apart.

• Locked thread