Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Comrade Koba posted:

Actually, the paragraph literally says "THIS IS NOT AD&D 3rd EDITION!". :eng101:

Also, I've never heard of the revised black books themselves being called "2.5". It's usually the term that people use to refer to AD&D 2E played using the optional rules from the Player's Option books. I've never seen the term "2.5" used before the 3.0/3.5-era, though.

You're mostly correct here. I never heard or saw "2.5." However, it should have been third edition; the Players Option books were a repurposed publication of the concepts behind third edition. TSR was so afraid of the grog backlash that they scaled back the project to just a rules update with a new layout and art. Sometimes I wonder how different things might have been...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Also, factor in that most Dungeon subscribers were looking for precisely that sort of content. They wanted deathtraps and overpowered evil mages to challenge their players who had thoroughly fleeced the rules for the optimal choices. It certainly wasn't the default mode of play (in 2E especially), but a lot of the DMs that grew up on Basic/AD&D were still playing that way.

The old D&D books suggested that using metagame/OOC knowledge was grounds for forfeiture of part or all experience for an encounter. That rule didn't come about by accident.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

OtspIII posted:

Theater of the Mind sucks. You can play just fine without a grid, but minis are incredibly helpful.

Back in the old days when we played AD&D 2e and didn't know any better, we used little miniatures and just put them on the ground in between us (we played in a circle on the floor). There weren't any movement rules or anything, but it was exceedingly helpful to keep track of where characters and monsters were in the milieu.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I'm prepping a sort of West Marches style game but instead of a frontier town surrounded by ruins set up, I want to have city with a huge palace that was once ruled by a wizard king or something. Some magic junked happened or whatever and the palace area was abandoned for a decade or more. I figure that'll be a fun sandbox/megadungeon mash up. Is there a better tool for mapping out stuff like this than http://davesmapper.com/ ? I'm not feeling up to just free handing stuff.

I know Dave is currently working on a way to replace tiles with a specific tile, which will greatly increase the utility of the mapper. From there, if you print it off in a smallish size with a grid of your choice, you can enlarge it freehand by drawing like shapes inside the squares like we were taught in elementary school. I have pretty much zero artistic talent and I had a lot of fun doing this.

Also this allows you to change or alter the map without breaking out digital editing tools.

• Locked thread