Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quill
Jan 19, 2004

VacuumJockey posted:

I dunno man, I'm not too worried about the dice - a lot of us old farts actually like weird dice! Besides, it's no longer uncommon to see people using various smartphone apps for rollin' them bones.

Using regular dice to fill in the gaps of the dice-chain works just fine, though I recommend printing out a one page how-to reference sheet for everyone. After a couple of sessions it'll be second nature.

VacuumJockey posted:

As for spells needing more than 3 steps to resolve - that's new to me. I was under the impression that DCC spells required a form of skill/success roll to determine how well - if - you pulled it off, another roll for effect/damage, and maybe a third roll to determine weird magic stuff, depending on how well you aced/fumbled that initial success roll.

If there's even more rolls than that, yeah, that's a bit excessive, even for me. Though I must admit that when you say "bad RPG", I'm thinking more along the lines of FATAL or Wraethu.

You're right. That's pretty much how spells work in DCC. There's also the possibility of Mercurial Magic on each spell, but those are determined as the character first learns the spell and the effect never changes. Of course in the case of a serious fumble, the caster has to roll for corruption, but that's not something that happens constantly. If it does, then the caster probably won't be around for much longer anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread