Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So I guess I'm playing Labyrinth Lord? Can anyone tell me where it differs in any way from B/X or B/E?

Here are some of the houserules?

STATS:
  • Roll 3 six sided dice six times and record the results in the standard Old School array, straight down the line.
  • Roll an additional 1d6 and add it to any one result (However, the score can not go over 18)
  • You are able to switch one result for another (e.g. switch result 1[STR] and 6[CHA])
CLASS:
  • Any of the four base classes. No demihumans allowed.
EQUIPMENT: RETAINER: HEALING:
  • "Dutch Courage": Any character may heal themselves by spending twenty minutes binding their wounds, catching their breath, and consuming a pint of wine. Doing so heals the character of 1d6 points of damage. This method of first aid may only be used once per day.
    (From here: http://rottedmoon.blogspot.ca/2010/03/dutch-courage.html)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

OtspIII posted:

Ooh, my party does this too, but we just have a 1-hp bandage option you can do if you took damage. Scaling it to hit-die size sounds like a good deal. Maybe it should cap at the HP you started the fight with, so people don't actively heal from easy fights?

I wouldn't cap it, actually! If it's a really easy fight, and I didn't lose (more) HP during it, then my hit die gain could be treated as a morale boost.

"We kicked those monsters' asses! I feel GREAT!"

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Any chance they'll PDF the Immortals set, then? (Not Wrath Of..., that was different.) That set was full of the wackiest kinds of insanity! As I recall, everything was point-buy and you needed algebra (and maybe some trig) to work out your character.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 4, 2013

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

PeterWeller posted:

Me too. I have a copy of it already, but I'd totally pick up a premium reprint because I love it so drat much. I did so with the 2E reprints.

My copy has the character sheet blank in the back filled in with pen. :(

It's not even a good or fun character!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I've been thinking about it since I asked about an Immortals set reprint... has anyone ever done much with the Immortals set? Everything seemed really really cool., but the amount of bookkeeping required to maintain and level your character always turned me off of actually using the rules.

I imagine that it's the one part of the BECMI rules that doesn't see much play in retroclones, right?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Parkreiner posted:

Aw, so they left out the bit where if you become Immortal, reincarnate as a mortal, then attain Immortality AGAIN, you have won Dungeons and Dragons?

Wasn't there ONE Immortal who was rumoured to have done it THREE times??!?

God, I gotta see if I can find those gold books!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
WIth some minor juggling of roles, it almost looks like an Order of the Stick RPG.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Lightning Lord posted:

I asked Frank Mentzer about this at OSRCon (which was really a bunch of people sitting around in a condo's party room playing games like Mutant Future and BECMI) and he said that he never intended the Immortals set to be used for playable characters, but to be for DMs who felt the need to quantify gods. Marketing just told him to refrain from saying that in the product.

That makes a hell of a lot of sense. Thanks for asking Mentzer and clearing that up!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You can charm monsters, and whenever you enter a dungeon, ruin, or castle you can ask to parley with the leader if it is chaotic. This flips the game upside down because you can ask for sanctuary in dungeons, then pretend to be a knight and do the same at castles. On top of this, you get cleric spells, turn undead, and it doesn't slow your fighter progression in the fighter supremacy edition. Smash is pretty ridiculous too. If you've been specializing in the same weapons, the -4 to hit is trivial and lets you add your strength to your damage. It ends up being drat near triple damage. If you have a good charisma, your reaction rolls will be rocking so hard that just about any intelligent creatures leave you the hell alone and you can pick the cream of the crop to be your valet.

I fail to see any problem with this! :swoon:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Southern Heel posted:

Thanks, that clarifies things alot. As for halfling chaotic cleric - he is the BBG of part 2/2 of my new adventure so should be pretty challenging for 3-4 Level 2 PCs. The evil mastermind behind bringing the centipede and rat gods together in a holy union to destroy a local city.

Will they be facing ratipedes or centirats?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
And as always, make sure either the results of both success and failure are interesting! Otherwise, why bother rolling?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Somebody on RPG.net made a Palladium retroclone.

I... I don't think he gets it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Sanglorian posted:

Do you have a link? I'd like to check it out.

(Unless there's something I'm missing ... Palladium is a company not a game?)

Evil Mastermind posted:

Palladium has a house system that they use in all their games, regardless of how well it'd fit. The system also hasn't been updated in 20-odd years.

Yes-ish. Here's a bit of history before you get the link. Palladium has a "house system" that it uses for each of its games. However, a lot of subsystems and fiddly case bits get added, removed, and otherwise inverted depending on the game line. Some of these bits do not play well with each other at all, even if they do claim to have "universal" mechanics.

Their president/head designer/main writer/re-writer will never say so again, but the whole system basically came from his AD&D 1st Ed house rules. (He admitted this once in an interview, and subsequently recanted/will never mention it again) Furthermore, anyone that actually plays in games he runs will tell you he doesn't even follow his own ruleset. It's mostly freeform, with rolls against ability scores and sometimes skills when he feels the need for them.

That's why the idea of making a Palladium retroclone is hilariously fascinating to me. You're making a retroclone of a heartbreaker made of house rules.

So here it is!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/110nW40UALjiGBuoKgPu_eIpsz0HsFcNx-H1tuybVpjU/edit

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

FRINGE posted:

I meant specifically the comment about the skills "progress quest". Unless you were using a set of rules that I can remember, that really wasnt a thing that existed in 2e. The non-weapon proficiencies were mostly pass/fail rolls based on stats with a modifier.

The ridiculous skill/number bloat was another mess that came in with 3e. "How much better is a +51 than a +46???"

Five better. It's five better.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Sabbatron posted:

I have been wondering about the Mentzer Basic Rules and the boxed sets that followed it. Master rules had the portion where you are introduced to these insane multipart quests that can be completed to become a immortal. Did the Immortal rules or Gold Box make any sense? Idea of playing gods sounds kind of neat but I haven't really heard anything about it.

Gold Box was absolutely bonkers, and I think used trig to build your character. It was point buy, but crazy-go-nuts point buy.

Wrath of the Immortals was supposed to simplify this, but I never owned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I remember needing to use advanced calculus for Immortal-level characters.

On the plus side, I think they introduced point-buy character advancement?

• Locked thread