Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Chaosium is also still publishing like it's 1986, and that seems to be working for them.

Is there a writeup somewhere on Swords & Wizardry? It was promoted in that Reaper kickstarter, so there is probably going to be a lot more interest in it soon. Is there much to set it apart from the other old-alikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That looks like it will be useful, I was more hoping for a quick overview. I saw some other people asking about what made it stand out from the crowd earlier in the thread, but maybe I missed replies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hellequin posted:

Also the random dungeon generator is the best drat thing ever and I have no idea why they didn't include it in subsequent editions.

I think that 4e's Dungeon Delve had something like it, but it's been a long time since I've seen the 1e version.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You're right, I just checked myself. I'm sure I saw something in 4e about random dungeons near a bit about playing with no DM. Was that DMGI/II?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is Whitehack available as a PDF? I feel stupid paying $10 for someone to print it for me. (And I own way too many books already.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hey my White Hack arrived yesterday! So far I'm liking it, but I'm a little apprehensive of how much adjudicating the Referee is going to be doing. "It's up to the DM!" is a disappointing punchline in D&D Next, but it really seems a lot more at home in a rules-lite retroclone like this. The free-form spells miracles could use a bit more guidance regarding the HP cost, for example.

But I'm still on my first skim-through, and everything will probably click when it hits the table. And if not, I'm only out :10bux:, which barely covers a fast-food combo meal where I live.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Was there an Immortals module where the party ends up at a modern day (1980s) gas station? I clearly remember looking at that from when I was a kid, but that was so long ago now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm finally living the dream and my group wants me to run compendium basic D&D! I'm about 25 years rusty, but I can certainly catch up before we start.

Are there any must-play adventures I should track down? I was thinking about dragging everyone from B1 to B12, but that's a hefty commitment (that will certainly fizzle) and we might just have more fun in custom adventures.

I want these dudes to share the same stupid-kid fun experience I did, but I'm dreading the thing where nobody cares about your nostalgia.

On the one hand, it's like trying to get a millennial to unironically watch Beastmaster. On the other, I kinda want to put on a DM Snuggie and bid a table of friends to "journey with me to the mythical realm of 1982..."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hey I've got that one, it's got a rad dinosaur on the cover!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well Basic is deadlier than I remember. We spent two hours relearning how to make characters, and then I killed a PC with the first attack of the game.

To be fair, he was poking a monster to provoke it. His character was an annoying halfling who courts danger - That's not an archetype that lives long in that kind of game.

• Locked thread