Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

LashLightning posted:

There's an OSR/Dungeon World kind of game called something like The Shadows Underneath by the Red Box Vancouver guy. It has an expanded section on how your PCs can spend their cash. An art-free version is available on DriveThruRPG/RPGNow.

Are you referring to The Nightmares Underneath? If so it seems really cool, though I haven't been able to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

DCC has a nice compromise. The Wizard can only learn X spells per level and that's it, but those spells can be either randomly rolled or discovered through play. So the Wizard can get spells you don't put in the world, but they can't guarantee it. They also don't have any way of gaining spells outside of level progression unless the DM allows them to.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

hectorgrey posted:

That's fair - I mean, the Fighter is supposed to be the best and most flexible combatant.

Not a bad option - in 2e I'd be tempted to go with something like 4d6 drop the lowest, in order, swap two stats of your choice - a little more control than just 3d6 in order and you're more likely to actually get a 15 and a 14, but at the same time you still get other stats in unexpected locations.

Maybe check out the rolling method from AD&D 1e's Unearthed Arcana? It has a different number of d6s you roll for each stat depending on class.

You roll 9d6 and keep three for your most important stat. Then you do 8d6 for the next most important, 7d6 after that, etc until you roll 3d6 for the final one. It significantly weights stats to the class you want to play, but it does result in very powerful characters. You can always lower the top end of the chain to start at 6d6 or something if you want. This method is nice if you want to pick the class and then roll for it.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 20, 2018

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

There are all these games that recognize that random-rolling is obsolete in later editions of D&D, but feel obliged to come up with ever more permissive versions of it instead of just getting rid of it. Why not let 17, 16, 15, or whatever, and be done with it?

I don't know man, why are you asking me? It's a method I thought would be helpful for someone who explicitly talked about liking randomized stats.

• Locked thread