Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I like Scarlet Heroes. It works.

As for using it for mass combat, I am pretty sure this was done in Godbound. I haven't read it yet, but it's based on Scarlet Heroes and it has Mobs of monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LeSquide posted:

Are there any that you think do it well, especially regarding more complex systems?

I think the PbtA playbook format is the biggest innovation in this in years.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
PRINCIPIA APOCRYPHA: Apocalypse Engine-style Rules And Principles For Running OSR Games

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's probably Zak S or maybe James Raggi drama again, I dunno. I recommend just ignoring it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
An RPG where the DM is the Djinn Master and the only mechanic is that whatever you try to tell them you're doing, they'll interpret in the worst possible fashion.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Banana Man posted:

Finally getting onto the DCC/MCC train; any essential products aside from the core books?

Harvey Stroh's modules are the best ones, or so I hear.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Xotl posted:

An Echo Resounding is pretty cool. It goes about domain management from a completely different angle than ACKS, and there's advantages and disadvantages to both. For those of you not allergic to RPGsite links, I've found a neat thread where Crawford and Macris discuss at length the underlying basis of their systems and the strengths and weaknesses of each approach. It's a fun look at game design and starting premises.

http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?21979-Domain-Management-in-ACK-vs-An-Echo-Resounding

Does anyone have anything good to say about Nightmares Underneath?

I haven't had a chance to play it but it reads like it should be fun and there is a full free version to download so you can judge by yourself (the one in the bundle has art, the free one doesn't).

Also, a Patrick Stuart review: http://falsemachine.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-review-of-nightmares-underneath-by.html

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

absolutely yes. His Maze of the Blue Medusa dungeon literally has a bunch of SJW parodies as monsters that you're supposed to kill

Out of curiosity, where?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LashLightning posted:

In my brief look through, there's a gallery of art and some quasi-undying critics of that art - Zak seems to be one of those "It's not my fault that you are simply too stupid to understand the greatness of my art!" types and so these critics are his worse nightmare, querying the quality of work in the gallery by means that Zak obviously feels is unrelated to the work, but Zak is clearly misunderstanding or just doesn't know about various concepts of "Death of the Author" and so on.

Ehhhhh. Making fun of art critics isn't exactly unique to ZakS or alt-right or whatever. He's an rear end in a top hat on the internet enough times that there's no need for this desperate reaching.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Covok posted:

What's a good OSR setting? Trying to set up an IRL Darker Dungeons game. Can't think of what setting to use. What do y'all like? Thinking just pretty general fantasy and I'll let skyships let us go to more fun worlds later.

Also, how do you get an IRL group together if you know only one player IRL and no one else who likes games or anyone else in the area who does or even a place to look?

Hot Springs Island, Yoon-Suin, Maze of the Blue Medusa, Perdition, Hubris, Veins of the Earth are all considered p. good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There's something about Red Tide, unlike Godbound, which completely fails to grab me on every level. It's just so... dry and joyless. Also, Crawford is way more enamored with, how do I put it, the East Asian aesthetic than I am. I feel it even bleeds into Godbound, with the Court generators, for instance, kinda being Asian-y and the only two released adventures being pretty much full-on UNF CHINA UNF I LOVE CHINA with some lip service to "uh you can run it in the other areas I guess". At this point, I am a little surprised he did Ancalia instead of Dulimbai as the one released setting book.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Patrick Stuart reveals the secrets of writing Lamentations supplements in a mini-review of Hyqueous Vaults:

TL;DR D&D ADVENTURE HIPSTER DOUCHEBAG CONVERSION CHART

1. Monsters are now humans wearing masks of those monsters OOoooO.
  2. Monsters are now really into riddles.
  3. Hot Goth Chicks - but maybe with no faces. Freaky!
  4. Drugs are now involved - these baddies get HIGH.
  5. More specific lighting.
  6. Add Swears.
  7. Add Impossible Moral Choices - do you want to rape the dog or murder the cat? Well you will have to do one or the other to escape!
  8. Any small monsters are now lobotomised children.
  9. Any normal children are now Undead Children - spooky!
  10. It turns out you could have saved the Undead Children but you only get the ability to do this at the end of the adventure when you have already hacked most of them to pieces and there was no real way for you to know this.
  11. Add Colonialism.
  12. Try having more and better art.
  13. Would Gary like and understand the art? If so, adjust till this is not the case.
  14. Could you get a tattoo of whatever it is? If not, adjust till this is the case.
  15. ADD THEMES OF MADNESS.
  16. Is the art/map/text layout subtle and difficult enough to arrange that it could kill a friendship? If not, adjust till this is the case.
  17. Could you safely had this to a 12 year old at a Con? If yes, go back & start again.
  18. Is it non-Euclidian? If not, why not?
  19. ADD DEEP TIME. Years? Why not Eons?
  20. Does the pattern of risk to reward make rational and predictable sense? If so, alter until they are partially, but not fully, out of synch. The main treasure isn't really treasure but an ancillary hard-to-get thingy has a lot of specific but hard-to-cash-in value.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zurui posted:

I'm putting together a "Western Marches" style campaign and I'm curious if people have any suggestions for good modules that drop nicely into a larger setting.

Just quietly put Death Frost Doom (only use the Revised version) somewhere on a mountain in the corner of the map and mention, off-hand, that there is a precious MacGuffin to loot there. Other LotFP modules that you could slot in are Tower of the Stargazer, Forgive Us, A Single Small Cut and The God that Crawls. Also, the Inn of Lost Heroes. Have the heroes stop by a couple of times with no shenanigans, then when they notice that hey, last time the inn was in a different hex, snap that trap shut.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 22, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
[timg] motherfucker

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Oh man deep carbon observatory seems awesome. Has patrick stuart written more adventure modules? I dig his monsters but I really liked the whole atmosphere of that adventure - I've never read a module like that before.

He also did Veins of the Earth, Fire on the Velvet Horizon and Maze of the Blue Medusa.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Patrick Stuart reviews Dungeon Dozen's creator's Operation Unfathomable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mike Danger posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on what to pick up here for someone just getting started on exploring OSR material? http://www.drivethrurpg.com/sale.php?&filters=0_0_0_0_0_45711 Thinking about picking up the DCC book and the Rules Cyclopedia

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/238925/2018-ConTessa-Bundle-of-Awesome-BUNDLE has some great poo poo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Harvey Stroh's DCC modules are the good ones, apparently.

And the other good OSR stuff in that bundle are the Hot Springs books, the Hydra Cooperative stuff and Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 3, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hectorgrey posted:

I see Beyond the Wall is on there; I'm not sure I'd call it OSR per se, but it's still an excellent game at an excellent price. Also, everything from Sine Nomine publishing is awesome - my personal favourite is Spears of the Dawn.

I'd honestly suggest the BECMI Rules Cyclopaedia over AD&D 1e - it's better organised, the mechanics are better (IMO), and it has mechanics for becoming a god.

If you don't mind stepping a little away from D&D, I would also recommend taking a look at RuneQuest Classic (here) - it's a reprint of the second edition of the game, which was itself basically a better edited reprint of the first. Since the first edition came out in 1978 and the second came out in 1980, I'd definitely say it counts as OSR ;).

Although if you're interested in the system, the Mythras bundle might be a better investment:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Mythras

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

What's the deal with Hot Springs Island? Just a solid product?

Its shtick is that it's (by all accounts) is a pretty good hex crawl that comes with a second book that's an in-world guide to the island that the players consult in character.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
In case anyone's interested in this sort of poo poo, there's been a review of Maze recently that, uh, sparked a lot of discussion about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/8z1c13/misgiving_about_the_medusa_a_critique_of_maze_of/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Firstborn posted:

I'm in a weird position where I both genuinely like Zak S (and the other sometimes-maligned-for-being-hipster-OSR Patrick Stuart, Scrap Princess, James Raggi) and like him as an eternal source of schadenfreude. It really is the best.

Well, he's Kickstarting his new RPG, if you're interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1070557469/demon-city-the-ultimate-horror-rpg/

• Locked thread