Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Is there anywhere I can find official datasheets for heros? The best I've found is this wiki which just constantly references pages of books I can't find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I know most of them were in the books, but those have been discontinued (boo). I can't think of anywhere where the official writeups might remain outside of :filez:.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

potatocubed posted:

I know most of them were in the books, but those have been discontinued (boo). I can't think of anywhere where the official writeups might remain outside of :filez:.

Well dammit.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Morand posted:

Well dammit.

What character are you looking for? There's a lot of fan-made datafiles and some of them are posted on online library sites that can be viewed (limited access) for free.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Lager posted:

What character are you looking for? There's a lot of fan-made datafiles and some of them are posted on online library sites that can be viewed (limited access) for free.

I have no idea, I just wanted to look at a bunch of official ones and see what caught my eye. One fan made thing I saw had a silver surfer with nothing but D12's everywhere and I thought that was a bit much and got curious as to what the official ones said, and then a bunch of fan ones don't have milestones.

Hoping to try and post a character for the x-men/mad men game so I wanted to look at a bunch of characters and see what looked fun.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Morand posted:

I have no idea, I just wanted to look at a bunch of official ones and see what caught my eye. One fan made thing I saw had a silver surfer with nothing but D12's everywhere and I thought that was a bit much and got curious as to what the official ones said, and then a bunch of fan ones don't have milestones.

Hoping to try and post a character for the x-men/mad men game so I wanted to look at a bunch of characters and see what looked fun.

To be totally honest, I understand wanting to browse the datafiles because I did so as soon as I got the core book, but I've found that the game is so story and plot-driven that the best way to do things is to pick a character and concept you like and then worry about a datafile after you've got your character picked. I did that with my first game and have not regretted it. The game is extremely well-balanced (outside fan-made insanity like Silver Surfer, who is ridiculous anyway) and so no matter who you pick if there's a well-made datafile you'll be useful and have fun. Because yeah, outside of buying the books I don't think you'll be able to browse through a bunch of official datafiles.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
To be fair, the official Silver Surfer data file is pretty much all d12s as well. But with MHR it's less about the numbers than it is the distinctions and milestones - the things which really tell you what a character is about.

(Although sometimes you see something clever - the way Amadeus Cho is set up, for example, or Multiple Man.)

It occurs to me that if you want to browse some datasheets, check out page 1 of the various MHR PbPs on this forum - we post the stats of our characters there for easy access, so you can browse them and see how they work. We've got mostly official characters in Civil War, and Amadeus Cho, Thor and Ronan are official datafiles in my Annihilation game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, he's mostly d12s but is somewhat balanced by the d12s all being one power set and most or all of his SFX requiring PP. So he's not dropping huge dice pools all the time, usually a more limited number of large dice instead.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
There's also the various OOC threads for active games, if you want to see sheets that didn't get into an actual game. It'll let you see a wider variety of data files, if nothing else.

(Also, the actual official Silver Surfer data file has ten d12s in his power sets. Annihilation does many things, but it sure doesn't undersell the Power Cosmic.)

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I never knew this system existed until I stumbled on a PBP game while following the paradise lost thread from GBS. Goddamn I wish I had been gaming and gotten a book when this was a thing. It seems fairly awesome.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Core books can still be had for around 12 bucks plus shipping

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

It's gone up to 16 on Amazon.com

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
A used copy of the basic rulebook is going for $10.59 on Half.com, new copies starting at $14.30.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Thanks to awesome goons I am now drowning in data sheets. My mission is to make The Captain a Mutant and fit into the 60's.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Morand posted:

Thanks to awesome goons I am now drowning in data sheets. My mission is to make The Captain a Mutant and fit into the 60's.

The Captain? Nextwave's The Captain? (I've actually an official datasheet for him).

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

neonchameleon posted:

The Captain? Nextwave's The Captain? (I've actually an official datasheet for him).

Yes, and so do I thanks to awesome goons.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Morand posted:

Yes, and so do I thanks to awesome goons.

Enjoy! Nextwave are awesome - and just as awesome in RP. (I ran a Nextwave one-shot a few months back).

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Civil War carries on well. One of my players expressed interest in playing as Gambit, so I made one up since they never published stats for him. Again, mostly going by wikipedia here for his powers.

quote:

GAMBIT (Remy LeBeau)

AFFILIATIONS
SOLO D6
BUDDY D10
TEAM D8

DISTINCTIONS
Master Thief
Rajun Cajun
Notorious Flirt

KINETIC ENERGY CONTROL
KINETIC BLAST D8
ENHANCED REFLEXES D8
ENHANCED SPEED D8
ENHANCED STRENGTH D8
COMBAT STAFF D6
MIND CONTROL D6
SFX: Full House. Against multiple targets, for each target beyond the first, add a D6 and keep an additional effect dice.
SFX: Straight Flush. Against a single target, add a D6, remove the highest rolling dice from your pool, and keep 3 dice.
SFX: All In. Step up or double KINETIC BLAST for one action, or spend 1PP to do both. Then shut down KINETIC BLAST. Activate an opportunity or participate in a transition scene to recover.
Limit: Bust. Shut down a KINETIC ENERGY CONTROL power to gain 1PP. Activate an opportunity or participate in a transition scene to recover.
Limit: Mutant. Gain 1PP when affected by mutant specific complications or tech.

SPECIALTIES
Acrobatic Expert D8
Combat Expert D8
Covert Master D10
Crime Master D10
Psych Expert D8
Menace Expert D8

MILESTONES
HEIR TO A STOLEN THRONE
1 XP When you use your COVERT or CRIME specialties to aid your allies
3 XP When your criminal past gets you and your allies in trouble.
10 XP When you either take up the position of head of the LeBeau crime family, or destroy them, declaring that part of your past to be over once and for all.

AH, CHERIE...
1 XP When you first flirt with a woman in a scene.
3 XP When you pursue romance at the expense of aiding your allies.
10 XP When you either settle down and commit to one woman, or break a woman's heart to carry on your philandering ways.
Is it wrong that my favorite part of this system is coming up with terrible puns for the SFX names?

Affiliations are mostly a guess. It seems that whenever he's on his own, things go BADLY for him, while he looks to be at his best operating with a partner. Plus the system needs more buddy heroes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I have a data file up on the wiki for him, if you'd like my take. Other than that, I think his staff should be its own set, and rather than a blast power, he should have manipulation, since he doesn't shoot energy on its own like Cyclops.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
I would suggest splitting it up to give him something like Cajun Hearthrob or something similar that has weapon d8 and all his enhanced abilities, then kinetic energy with the incredibly well named sfx.

You should also include something that he can use when he charges items that are not cards.

And yes I am in fact still here.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Defiance Industries posted:

I have a data file up on the wiki for him, if you'd like my take. Other than that, I think his staff should be its own set, and rather than a blast power, he should have manipulation, since he doesn't shoot energy on its own like Cyclops.

Technically true, but since his "charge something and make it explode" power is so ubiquitous and easy to trigger it's better modelled as a Blast. If all Gambit has is Kinetic Control, he effectively can't attack with exploding playing cards more often than once every two turns. He should probably have Kinetic Control at d8 too, though.

Druggeddwarf posted:

I would suggest splitting it up to give him something like Cajun Hearthrob or something similar that has weapon d8 and all his enhanced abilities, then kinetic energy with the incredibly well named sfx.

Also this. Any time a character has two distinct "flavors" of power, you should strongly consider splitting them up into two Power Sets.

Curious also what the justification for the Bust limit is. I'm no huge Gambit expert (though now I'm sorely tempted to fire up Marvel Heroes), but I don't recall him having a weakness like that. Seems to me you'd want to move the staff and the enhanced stuff to their own Power Set with Exhausted (and maybe Gear for the staff specifically) and drop Bust altogether. Other than that, looks solid to me.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
I was debating splitting his powers up, but Bishop has his guns as part of his energy control power set. According to wikipedia he has enhanced physical attributes as a result of his kinetic energy control powers being used to propel himself, and if those are folded into the kinetic control power set that just leaves the staff as a weapon dice all on its lonesome. Also most mutants only have the one powerset and a second one really boosts a characters oomph, so I didn't want him too out of line from Colossus, Cyclops, Beast, Emma Frost and the like.

Bust is in as a one size fits all limit to represent him getting too exhausted/unfocused to effectively use his physicality, dropping his staff, AND running out of cards/handy debris to use kinetic blast with. Mostly because I think just "Mutant" is kind of boring. And any way you slice it, he's not out of the game entirely given it only shuts down individual powers, and it's easy for him to buy back in with a plot point (poker pun).

Good point on the Kinetic Control though

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GimpInBlack posted:

Technically true, but since his "charge something and make it explode" power is so ubiquitous and easy to trigger it's better modelled as a Blast. If all Gambit has is Kinetic Control, he effectively can't attack with exploding playing cards more often than once every two turns. He should probably have Kinetic Control at d8 too, though.

Come to think of it it usually doesn't exist on its own (Storm has both Weather Supremacy and Lightning Blast) so I guess I habitually use it as shorthand.

Captain Hats posted:

I was debating splitting his powers up, but Bishop has his guns as part of his energy control power set. According to wikipedia he has enhanced physical attributes as a result of his kinetic energy control powers being used to propel himself, and if those are folded into the kinetic control power set that just leaves the staff as a weapon dice all on its lonesome. Also most mutants only have the one powerset and a second one really boosts a characters oomph, so I didn't want him too out of line from Colossus, Cyclops, Beast, Emma Frost and the like.

That's really weird that Bishop's guns are part of his energy powerset, but maybe his guns are a thing he shoots his absorbed energy through? I don't know enough about Bishop to say one way or another. I think it's weird to include his staff in his mutant powerset, since it means that any time he gets thrown into a "mutant powers don't work" scenario he can't hit things with his staff, and hitting things with it is generally his go-to in that situation. What I use is a d6 weapon, d8 durability (since it's an adamantium alloy, that represents him using it to do things like block knives or claws or whatever else) and then SFX of your choice. I like focus as an ability that represents his skill with staff fighting that doesn't incorporate his powers at all. Anyway, I think having only one powerset that's full of 6s and 8s makes for a pretty lacking character compared to a lot of the other X-Men, who either have two powersets (Rogue, Wolverine, Emma Frost) or whose single set involves rolling with 10s or 12s as their go-to dice for attacking and defending (Colossus, Storm, Rachel). But I like to be throwing big dice if I only get to use 3-4 in a roll.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Defiance Industries posted:

Anyway, I think having only one powerset that's full of 6s and 8s makes for a pretty lacking character compared to a lot of the other X-Men, who either have two powersets (Rogue, Wolverine, Emma Frost) or whose single set involves rolling with 10s or 12s as their go-to dice for attacking and defending (Colossus, Storm, Rachel). But I like to be throwing big dice if I only get to use 3-4 in a roll.

Bare minimum if he's only got one power set you should consider an SFX like Versatile or Multipower that lets him roll more than one die from the power set.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Having slept on it, you guys are right, as goons usually are. Here's the version I wound up giving the player.

Also I've been working on Juggernaut for her. He's basically unstoppable as long as you're doing direct physical confrontation, but he doesn't have much recourse against clever complications, which seems to be how Juggernaut gets defeated usually.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

So I'm seriously considering putting a game together on here based on X-Men #190-191, the storyline where Kulan Gath takes over Manhattan and essentially turns it into a Conan-themed amusement park. It'll probably take me about a month or so of planning but I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on ways to customize datafiles and make them a bit more barbarian themed. I was figuring that with the way that story worked most characters could probably just keep the same datafile and just use roleplaying to make them more unique but I wasn't sure about giving some of the characters a weapon power to give them a sword or something.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Did anyone save the free short storylines they released like the Thor or Christmas Hulk ones?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
The Thor What If?, Hulk What If?, and the Christmas Hulk scenes, right? I don't remember any others and I downloaded pretty much everything before the end.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Christmas with the Hulk wasn't official, so it's still up. Are you thinking of the "What If – Hulk"/"What If – Thor" scenarios? Both of which are written with the Breakout mini-Event in mind.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You guys are fast. I was going to draw up some Wrecker stats together and then remembered there was an official sheet.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I'm planning on using the hulk one for my Breakout! Villans game. Give someone the option to play as banner.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Posted up my Hyborian Age Marvel game: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616796.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Captain Hats posted:

Having slept on it, you guys are right, as goons usually are. Here's the version I wound up giving the player.

Just letting you know, this is my new Gambit. Also he is legit.

Also, I was thinking of uploading the crazy amount of Datafiles on this thread we've made to the Marvel Wiki, is that cool by everyone?

Druggeddwarf fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 16, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd say go for it. Though my Gambit is already up there so that's one less thing to do.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Druggeddwarf posted:

Just letting you know, this is my new Gambit. Also he is legit.

Also, I was thinking of uploading the crazy amount of Datafiles on this thread we've made to the Marvel Wiki, is that cool by everyone?

I think the superheroic RPG world has been clamoring for Angar the Screamer and Planet Man write-ups, so by gum, upload away.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Hey everyone, I've been looking at doing a Civil War campaign, and one thing I'm struggling a bit with is that some of the entry points into Civil War for various Marvel groups are pretty messed up (try explaining House of M to friends, just kidding, anyone who would try that has no friends). I have a good bench of players who are into Marvel and would totally be into a game where they played multiple Marvel characters on both sides of a dramatic conflict, and they've got an "iconic" level of knowledge of the characters (i.e. they might not know that Captain America drove around in a van in the 1970s but they have an idea of who Captain America is and why various conflicts he gets into with government and political forces are cool.)

So I was thinking of doing something like a "pre-campaign draft", as I've seen on other forums - people putting together teams and characters and situations that they want to see together, then springing Civil War out of that, instead of trying to troupe-play it out when one person is totally into the X-Men, but hasn't read an X-Men comic in 5 years, and watched every Spiderman cartoon episode, but may not quite know the ins and outs of his girlfriends and wives and continuity.

Does anyone have any experience with those types of things? What are some good, focused questions for creating team-ups and simple continuities that doesn't eat up everyone's time but gets everyone to understand the situation?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's... sorta like how Civil War is going (I promise I will update in the next day or so, I've just got some projects to do and a newspaper to run).

-Don't worry too much about continuity if you don't want to. I used Iron Man's extremis powers as a plot point because they're something I'm familiar with and I know they were a thing at this point. I just put whoever wanted to be on the X-Men on the X-Men at that time because I couldn't remember who was either gone/depowered at the time.

-Have your players go over milestones beforehand and think about how they're going to use them. Milestones can be really helpful for giving direction to players, so be ready and willing to alter or replace the existing ones on the character sheet if you or the player come up with an idea that would really help give a character a direction in the story. When you get started, ask everyone if they have an idea for how their milestones will work with what you're doing, and be willing to give them chances to pursue them. Give Iron Man technology obstacles to overcome, let Beast fix things with medical gear, let Luke Cage stick it to the man. These are things the characters do in ANY time frame, but you have to give them the situations to do them.

-On the same token, a lot of players will accept a character sheet being "the way it is," but don't be afraid to change things. The Rogue datafile in the book is from when she had Sunfire's powers, but if your player is only familiar with Rogue having Ms. Marvel's powers, then let them change it. If a player wants to play the character with abilities from a different time frame, I say go for it because Sunfire Rogue sucked.

Another thing that's really helpful is being willing to just roll with things being in a different universe than 616. If your players are mostly familiar with, say, the MCU, then set your game in the MCU. The main things is MHR isn't supposed to be focused on minute details, but if your players feel like they're in a strange and unfamiliar setting they'll be playing like they're, well, in strange and unfamiliar territory.

Honestly I would say that you probably shouldn't ask many questions at all. I would start by letting them ask you questions about what's gone on in the back story and from there your players can fill in the blanks they have. The questions they ask will probably be related to ideas they already have and will help them jump start their thinking. Once everyone feels comfortable in the setting you're playing with then I would go on to discussing the assembling of teams and such.

Hope this helped. It was a little rambling.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
A question for people who're used to making custom datafiles: how would you represent a power that can cause a boatload of collateral damage if it's used in a special way? I'm specifically thinking of someone whose powers are just 1) being invulnerable and 2) being able to fly fast, and uses their powers to fly into things at high speeds - if they try to hit one guy the collateral damage will probably just be limited to what they fly into, but if they try to hit the ground specifically, there will probably be an explosion with significant collateral damage.

The actual powers are simple enough (Supersonic Flight d10, Godlike Durability d12, use the Flight when attacking) but I'm struggling on how to model things with SFX/Limits. Should I give it a single SFX that combines Area and Unleashed (something like "against multiple targets, double Flight dice, then add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target, but add the highest die to the doom pool if your action fails")? Or should I just give it the Area SFX and the Growing Dread Limit? The former feels clunky, but the latter

Also, I'm not sure whether the invulnerability in this case would be better modelled as d12 Durability, d10 Durability with Invulnerable, or d12 Durability with Invulnerable.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 17, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lemon Curdistan posted:

A question for people who're used to making custom datafiles: how would you represent a power that can cause a boatload of collateral damage if it's used in a special way? I'm specifically thinking of someone whose powers are just 1) being invulnerable and 2) being able to fly fast, and uses their powers to fly into things at high speeds - if they try to hit one guy the collateral damage will probably just be limited to what they fly into, but if they try to hit the ground specifically, there will probably be an explosion with significant collateral damage.

The actual powers are simple enough (Supersonic Flight d10, Godlike Durability d12, use the Flight when attacking) but I'm struggling on how to model things with SFX/Limits. Should I give it a single SFX that combines Area and Unleashed (something like "against multiple targets, double Flight dice, then add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target, but add the highest die to the doom pool if your action fails")? Or should I just give it the Area SFX and the Growing Dread Limit? The former feels clunky, but the latter

Also, I'm not sure whether the invulnerability in this case would be better modelled as d12 Durability, d10 Durability with Invulnerable, or d12 Durability with Invulnerable.

So maybe you'd want something kind of like this?

SFX: Kinetic Bombardment: Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target and then add a die from the doom pool to your attack action. Step up the doom pool die by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when done.

Limit: Collateral Damage. Both 1's and 2's in your dice pools count as opportunities, although only 1's are excluded from use in your actions and reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
This sounds kind of like Cannonball with an area attack and without the invulnerability while flying. Here's his power set write-up:

quote:

THERMO-CHEMICAL PROPULSION

Energy Blast D8 Superhuman Durability D10 Supersonic Flight D10

SFX: Blasting. When making an action that includes Supersonic Flight, you may add an additional Thermo-Chemical Propulsion power die to your pool. If the action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the smaller of the two power dice.

SFX: Invulnerability. If your reaction dice pool includes Superhuman Durability, spend 1 PP to ignore physical stress or trauma.

SFX: Reactive Power. Spend 1 PP to add a Thermo-Chemical Propulsion power to an-other character's dice pool before rolling. If that character takes physical stress, take d6 mental stress. Limit: Explosive Propulsion. In order to use any other Thermo-Chemical Propulsion power, you must use Supersonic Flight in the same dice pool. Limit: Mutant. When affected by mutant-specific complications or tech, earn 1 PP.

For what it's worth, though, why not just use the Area Attack and Unleashed SFXes?

• Locked thread