Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Solomonic posted:

Normally I'd say this could only end in a big crossover and all-around continuity reboot, but this isn't DC Heroic Roleplaying.

You're right. MHR would have a major summer event that will CHANGE EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Is there an Uatu datafile out there, or is it assumed to be the 'how to GM' section?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

MWP won't be putting out any more Marvel Heroic Roleplaying products. A real shame, it's one of my favourite games I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I guess the license must need more sales than they can get to pay off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

1st Stage Midboss posted:

MWP won't be putting out any more Marvel Heroic Roleplaying products. A real shame, it's one of my favourite games I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I guess the license must need more sales than they can get to pay off.

Well, the Annihilation book should still be pretty good. Hopefully it'll have enough new stuff in it to not feel like a weak ending point.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Do they mean the one that was already released in PDF? It is pretty cool. Still I'm very sad we won't see the Age of Apocalypse book.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
drat. I pre-ordered the annihilation book, but looks like they aren't releasing it that way now.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

One thing I really like about the PDF versions is that all the notes like "see p.88" pets you click on that number and jump straight there, and especially useful on the table of contents and index. Pretty slick.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Druggeddwarf posted:

drat. I pre-ordered the annihilation book, but looks like they aren't releasing it that way now.

poo poo, really? They cancelled the stuff they already had in the pipe and (presumably) more or less completed? What a lovely move. Does MW have a history of dumbass business decisions like this?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It was completed but had to go to print. You can still get the PDF.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They buried the marvel news deep in that article, drat. Too bad, I thought it was a good game.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
It was my favorite PNP, too. :smith: It's silly but I'm a little crushed, to be honest. At least MHR's easy to unofficially support, I guess.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Wait. Defiance. you HAVE the PDF?

AND YOU WONT LET ME HAVE ROCKET RACOON?!?!?!?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He's only started as a minor character with no milestones and such, like Eros the Starfox. I was holding on for the full version in the next book.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
PDFs are only available until April 30th, so get them while they're still available. I've heard secondhand that this isn't at all MWP's call, but instead Marvel's pulling the license as a result of some target number of sales not being met.

I guess this explains why all of the Marvel news was allowed to drift off the front page of their website in the last couple of days.

Edit: I'm also now reading that MWP couldn't afford the licensing fee another year in light of low sales, and that Marvel is just being demanding about how long the company is still allowed to sell a game with their name on the cover. No matter whose "fault" it is, this really just sucks on a ton of levels.

Claytor fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 24, 2013

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I ordered mine from amazon. Are they going to give me a refund from there and inform me of this, or will they just quietly take my money until it's too late.

Screw you Marvel, I really wanted this book. It was my birthday present to myself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Druggeddwarf posted:

I ordered mine from amazon. Are they going to give me a refund from there and inform me of this, or will they just quietly take my money until it's too late.

Screw you Marvel, I really wanted this book. It was my birthday present to myself.

Amazon doesn't take your money on preorders until the item ships. Either the orders will be cancelled in the next couple of days, or the date will come and go with no fanfare and you'll get a couple of "we don't know when this is going to ship" e-mails before cancellation a few months down the line.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
As an extra gently caress you, Marvel will be shitcanning all PDF sales and ordering their removal from sites like Drivethru on April 30, so buy 'em while you can.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's not really a big gently caress you, if MWP decided they can't afford the license they can't just sell PDFs forever.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I genuinely cannot believe they're going that far. That's crazy.

Took the bullet and got the PDF. Browsing through it right now.

Can I just say, that Thanos is RI-DIC-CU-LOUS!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What sucks for me is my next payday isn't until after they're gonna stop selling PDFs, so I can't stock up now even if I wanted to. Kinda lovely to give us, what, 6 days lead time?

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

What lead time? they put the statement at the bottom of the article, and have not done a big note across their front page at it.

If it weren't for me actually seeing this here, I wouldn't have been any wiser!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Druggeddwarf posted:

Well, there goes my joke of replacing all references to "Thanos" with "Amadeus Cho" and posting that sheet as Cho's new datafile.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Swagger Dagger posted:

MWP decided they can't afford the license they can't just sell PDFs forever.

Granted, but there's a pretty big window between "forever" and "six loving days after the announcement."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm not mad about the pulling of PDFs, but goddamn give people more than less than a week maybe.

Well, luckily I have all the books and my group loves this game, so Marvel roleplaying will never die with us :unsmith:

Really bummed no more event books though, those were really excellent products.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well, luckily I have all the books and my group loves this game, so Marvel roleplaying will never die with us :unsmith:

Pretty much, yeah. A game only dies when people stop playing it.

With that said, having had a while to think on it, I think I'm less put off by the very abrupt shutdown (probably Marvel-mandated, if I had to guess) than I am by the fact that the announcement was just buried at the end of a news update with no real indication of its importance. If I hadn't seen it in this thread I wouldn't even have known.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DriveThru made an announcement at the top of their front page, at least.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
I kinda have to agree with one of the commenters on the blogpost. If the massive delay between PDF availability and availability in print hadn't been there, who knows what sales might have been like? I was getting free PDFs by preordering through my FLGS, but that's only after flipping through the core rulebook once it was on the shelf. As far as I know there's absolutely no preview material for these.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Journey Fraternity posted:

I kinda have to agree with one of the commenters on the blogpost. If the massive delay between PDF availability and availability in print hadn't been there, who knows what sales might have been like? I was getting free PDFs by preordering through my FLGS, but that's only after flipping through the core rulebook once it was on the shelf. As far as I know there's absolutely no preview material for these.

That might have been my comment. The one about "sales would have been better if the products were at retail"?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a thing posted by a freelancer (Jack Norris, of Exalted fame (Scroll of Heroes)) as posted on RPGnet.

quote:

cero posted:

Seeing as the line is now finished, what was the unannounced book Jack, if you can tell us now? Just plain interested what Marvel were planning after the noted books.

I can't imagine there's any harm in telling now since it's pretty much never going to happen (god that's depressing). It was a Secret Invasion book designed to run your own version of the event and include some heroes we wanted to find a home for (Agents of Atlas, Nick Fury's Secret Warriors, Ares, Winter Soldier Cap, etc...) It was going to be less a scene by scene and a bit more toolkit in the approach to running invasion type scenarios but using that event as the model. Stuff about how to work in "turns out I'm a Skrull" and such into play.

If that had worked out? We'd talked in the past about a bunch of other stuff in much less solid detail (like stuff for UK heroes and such).

When I've had some time to get my head around this and such, I'm going to ponder what to do with all those ideas and what, if anything, can be done to get some of it out there even if in non-licensed form. I'd personally love to see MWP do a non-licensed supers game using the system at some point but I also am a wee bit paranoid Marvel/Disney might try and shut that down despite not owning the system. I mean, that's totally not my call to make, but I'd love to see it if it wasn't going to get stomped on.

Can they? Legally probably not. In a technical sense. Could they make it functionally impossible if they wanted? Definitely. Would they? I can't say, but my assessment of their business practices at the moment isn't really positive.

Also, knowing what I know now I'd still do this all over again, that's how much I believe in this stuff. But it still basically completely and totally sucks.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
That sucks. I didn't play the system a lot but it seems extremely versatile, and the milestone XP system is goddamn brilliant.

Time to learn Wild Talents I guess?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
*sigh* I was really hoping to be able to run this game again once I have a bit more free time. And yes, I know people can still play RPGs that are no longer in print, but when you can't legally acquire the rulebook and there are plenty of other games on the market with support, it can become a bit of a tough sell fairly quick.

Though the Cortex system will still be around. No idea how different Marvel Heroic was from the basic Cortex, though.

At least thanks to this thread, I wasn't caught by surprise. Just snapped up the PDF for Annihilation.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
It does suck that I won't get to see my writin' on the same physical page as official Marvel art, but as I noted in the OP, Marvel RPGs have a hard time - they're often extremely innovative but only the first version really had longevity, and that was during an era when TSR was the 900 pound gorilla.

Get yer PDFs now.

I'll do an "Out" Event Book sometime, I swear to god.

Edit: OP updated with link to Marvel Closeout page.

JDCorley fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 25, 2013

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

ibntumart posted:

Though the Cortex system will still be around. No idea how different Marvel Heroic was from the basic Cortex, though.

There is no "Basic Cortex." There's Cortex Action, Cortex Drama, and Cortex Heroic(?), which share the dice pool mechanic but use it in completely different ways. I don't know that Heroic Roleplaying will be seen in an MWP product again, and that makes me sad.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Ironically, my friend and I were kicking around dumb ideas for what we'd do if we were in charge of the SHIELD television show, came up with a neat concept for a campaign, and determined that Cortex Action, aka the Leverage RPG, would be ideal for it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Claytor posted:

There is no "Basic Cortex." There's Cortex Action, Cortex Drama, and Cortex Heroic(?), which share the dice pool mechanic but use it in completely different ways. I don't know that Heroic Roleplaying will be seen in an MWP product again, and that makes me sad.

I meant Cortex Plus. I didn't know about the other ones and now I'm just confused. And sad, too, if the Marvel Heroic version is the only version using that Cortex mechanic MWP publishes or ever plans to publish.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ibntumart posted:

I meant Cortex Plus. I didn't know about the other ones and now I'm just confused. And sad, too, if the Marvel Heroic version is the only version using that Cortex mechanic MWP publishes or ever plans to publish.

They're just the three games under Cortex Plus. The Kickstarter for the Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide just made enough that it unlocked generic versions. Cortex Action is Leverage minus the license, Cortex Drama is Smallville minus the license, and there isn't a generic Marvel Heroic but they did unlock a fantasy hack for it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I guess since we won't get the Age of Apocalypse supplement, I will have to write my own. I do rather like the idea of having a random roll table to determine what the alternate version of a character is, which was mentioned earlier in this thread.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Druggeddwarf posted:

Just got to the Eternals section of the PDF with Thanos' datafile and holy crap.

Edit: Ha, the PDF even has Dire Wraiths and Spaceknights. Now I'm even more bummed that Marvel yanked the license.

Defiance Industries posted:

I guess since we won't get the Age of Apocalypse supplement, I will have to write my own. I do rather like the idea of having a random roll table to determine what the alternate version of a character is, which was mentioned earlier in this thread.

This needs to happen.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 25, 2013

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

A lot of people where dying for an age of apocalypse game, and some people have even Written their own stuff to run their games in

If MWP won't do it, I say we have a fan based AoA booklet created. We've read the comics long enough. How hard can it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ibntumart posted:

Just got to the Eternals section of the PDF with Thanos' datafile and holy crap.

Edit: Ha, the PDF even has Dire Wraiths and Spaceknights. Now I'm even more bummed that Marvel yanked the license.

This needs to happen.

I don't think Marvel yanked the license, MWP wasn't selling enough copies of their game to justify keeping it.

• Locked thread