Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armadillo Bandwagon
Jun 26, 2007
These are words that mean things.
It looks like I’m going to be running a Marvel Heroic game soon (possibly tonight) using the Breakout event. None of us have played any of the Cortex games before, and while I’m pretty confident in my grasp of the rules, the others haven’t even looked at them. If anyone could give me advice about GMing the game for the first time or teaching the game to new players that would be great.

There will probably be four players. Two of them are old-school D&D fans and have been a little resistant to learning new games, but they like the Marvel universe. The other two don’t know very much about the universe and are more into games with easier rules like Dungeon World or Inspectres.

Aside from teaching them how to play without shoving the entire rulebook in their face at once, I’m worried that they might hoard PP and/or never use distinctions for d4s. Are there any good solutions if they do that?

Also, none of us are familiar with The Sentry. I’m thinking of replacing him with The Hulk and just saying that Banner gave himself up. Any reasons that would screw up the event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Bandwagon
Jun 26, 2007
These are words that mean things.
Thanks for the advice, guys. It was really helpful.
We started really late so we only did the first action scene and a short transition afterwards. It was a bit slower than I thought it would be, but it never felt like the fiction stalled. Most of us immediately expressed a desire to play again.

We had Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Hercules, and an original alien character named Cosmic Man.

Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye were working with SHIELD to take a restrained Grey Gargoyle to the Raft by helicopter. They were the first on the scene and thus the first to encounter Count Nefaria as well as the chained-together Tiger Shark and Armadillo. Cosmic Man arrived at nearly the same time, but he decided to hang back because he didn’t want to alert SHIELD agents to his presence.

Highlights:
Pretty much right away, Nefaria pushed the helicopter into the ocean with Hawkeye and Grey Gargoyle inside. I thought that Hawkeye would try to save Grey Gargoyle but he just didn’t give a gently caress since he realized Gargoyle didn’t need to breathe and they could just get him from the sea floor afterwards.
Hercules entered the fight by landing on Nefaria, smashing him into the landing deck, and stressing him out.
Tiger Shark and Armadillo broke their chain right at the start but were stuck together in a more ridiculous way by the second round. Cosmic Man used an opportunity to get Tiger Shark’s teeth stuck in Armadillo’s hide. This ended up with Armadillo using Tiger Shark as a weapon (using and stepping up their complication) to hit Hercules, which was the only time any of the heroes took stress.
Armadillo was completely unstressed until the very end of the fight when he surrendered due to one really well placed insult from Hawkeye.

All in all it was pretty fun. Everyone had at least one cool moment except for Ms. Marvel. She seemed to have trouble getting PP since her distinctions were pretty hard to use negatively in this situation. I used the scene distinctions that were suggested in the book (Open to the Elements and Reinforced Entry Bay Doors) but neither of them got used by anyone. If I did this again, I would try to come up with at least one that’s more obviously useful to everyone at the table.

My worries that people would hoard PP or would refuse to use small dice were completely unfounded. I used Solomonic's suggestion of capping PP at 5. Most of them were spending PP, using their distinctions against themselves, and splitting their specialty dice with no prompting at all. In fact, I was the one that was underusing my resources. The Doom Pool got pretty drat big by the end of that one scene. It grew more quickly than I expected, and I didn’t use it in the villains’ dice pools as much as I should have.

• Locked thread