Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been kinda out of the MHR circuit for a while; have they made physical versions of the Civil War supplements yet? I could have sworn they were going to be out something like last July, but I've not been able to find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Claytor posted:

I received my preorder copy of Fifty State Initiative about six weeks or so ago. My understanding of the situation is that at MWP tried to save money by taking on a Chinese printer, and their attempts at getting any amount of any kind of product from that printer were all unsuccessful and pushed back the print release of everything by some disgusting number of months.

Things got pushed back across the board by a little bit when, if I had to guess, they realized they were a little over-aggressive on what they wanted to put out with the staff they have on hand, but that only led to stuff like the Young Avengers/Runaways book getting bumped from something like June to September, but on the whole it seems that the main problem with a lack of product can be chalked up to the problem with the earlier printer. My impression is that once MWP takes care of the problem revolving around their books being late going to print, the main chokepoint in new product will be that there are a limited number of hours in the day in which their one (incredibly talented) layout guy is able to work.

Cool. I keep wanting to get back into Marvel Heroic, and I really want some more pre-made datafiles to work with. My last campaign was all self-made heroes, and I think it'd be fun to use actual Marvel characters and see how off-the-rails we can take things.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Having played both Marvel Heroic and the M&M predecessor to the DC game, it really comes down to what kind of table experience you're looking for. Marvel feels more like a "beer and pretzels" type game. Its more on the simple side, despite the dice pool mechanic. M&M feels more like a "traditional RPG" and while it is by no means a crunchy math-stravaganza, its a big more complex than Marvel.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

1st Stage Midboss posted:

MWP won't be putting out any more Marvel Heroic Roleplaying products. A real shame, it's one of my favourite games I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I guess the license must need more sales than they can get to pay off.

Well, the Annihilation book should still be pretty good. Hopefully it'll have enough new stuff in it to not feel like a weak ending point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Druggeddwarf posted:

drat. I pre-ordered the annihilation book, but looks like they aren't releasing it that way now.

poo poo, really? They cancelled the stuff they already had in the pipe and (presumably) more or less completed? What a lovely move. Does MW have a history of dumbass business decisions like this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Druggeddwarf posted:

I ordered mine from amazon. Are they going to give me a refund from there and inform me of this, or will they just quietly take my money until it's too late.

Screw you Marvel, I really wanted this book. It was my birthday present to myself.

Amazon doesn't take your money on preorders until the item ships. Either the orders will be cancelled in the next couple of days, or the date will come and go with no fanfare and you'll get a couple of "we don't know when this is going to ship" e-mails before cancellation a few months down the line.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What sucks for me is my next payday isn't until after they're gonna stop selling PDFs, so I can't stock up now even if I wanted to. Kinda lovely to give us, what, 6 days lead time?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Journey Fraternity posted:

I kinda have to agree with one of the commenters on the blogpost. If the massive delay between PDF availability and availability in print hadn't been there, who knows what sales might have been like? I was getting free PDFs by preordering through my FLGS, but that's only after flipping through the core rulebook once it was on the shelf. As far as I know there's absolutely no preview material for these.

That might have been my comment. The one about "sales would have been better if the products were at retail"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Defiance Industries posted:

Do you happen to have any of your Mass Effect stuff in an easily-circulated format? I'd like to check it out.

Seconding this. I'm just now getting in to Mass Effect and I'm curious about a pnp way to tool around in the universe.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ibntumart posted:

I'm feeling both generous and bummed that this game line is ending so abruptly, so (assuming DriveThruRPG allows gifting) I'll gift you one of the PDF supplements you don't already have. All the better to evangelize the system, after all. (That and I'd otherwise just spend the money on another Android mini figure or other thing I don't need.)

Shot you a PM to avoid cluttering the thread with giftchat, but let it publicly be said that you're a wonderful dude.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I thought the premium event book idea was pretty inspired too. When I first got into the system, I picked up the core book, and the guy at the comic shop said "oh hey, you could get that softcover with the base rules, or you could get this cool hardcover that comes with that same rules book plus all the Civil War stuff". So I bought it. And the Civil War TPB. (Side note: Civil War was way cooler in concept than in execution).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'd be game for that. Are we keeping everything 616-compliant though? Most of my marvel familiarity is from the Cinematic Universe films and the Ultimates line.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure it's a consequence of the retailer already having bought the books and put them out for sale. Margaret Weiss isn't selling it, Barnes and Noble is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Error 404 posted:

I've been meaning to ask, has anyone done anything with making original characters that aren't randomly generated yet?

I have a couple ideas, but wanted to see what others may have done first.

My college gaming group had a superhero campaign that started out in Mutants and Masterminds, but we did a special "spinoff" "season" of Ultimate Rebels (the Rebels being the team, Ultimate of course referring to the Marvel Ultimates line) in which we all had completely original characters, no actual Marvel dudes at all (other than Stanley Lieber being an investigative journalist [yes, we had a Stan Lee cameo, yes we are TREMENDOUS nerds]) and it worked out really well. I wish I knew where all our old datafiles were :\

EDIT: And there they were hiding in my Dropbox the whole time! Thanks, Marvel RP thread, for helping me dig up a big of nostalgia!

• Locked thread