Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Thanks to this new avatar, I am tempted to have the Watcher appear in our game but in the form of a giant disembodied JJJ head.

Anyone else who GMs, I've basically been racking up Doom Dice in early fights for a big blowoff, but what are some other ways to make a villain really knock some heads around that don't revolve around giving myself tons of big dice?

(druggeddwarf don't read this)

I picked this up from a blog (towards the bottom), but split your specialties into d6's. You can add dice to the total by spending a doom die of equal or greater size, and d6's are the most common die size you'll have in the doom pool. Hell, you can even use a distinction as a d4 to immediately get a d6 to use. This is especially nasty if they have a Master specialty, which gives you 3d6 that you could potentially add to the total. Also works with anything else that gives you d6's, like area attacks.

I'm also hoping to run a game soon, so maybe you can help out with a question I have. Namely, what is your opinion on Milestones? I'm worried that the players won't hit their triggers much, and be left with small amounts of xp. Which is bad, because I love the idea of Unlockables. Wasn't sure if I should stick with Milestones, or hand out xp myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Well, I created a custom Mysterio datafile for my PbP game, with the help of Solomonic and some spanish Mysterio datafile he found. I think I may have gone overboard with it, however.

pre:
Mysterio (Quentin Beck)

Solo d10, Buddy d6, Team d8

Distinctions:
	Desperate for Fame
	Extremely Theatrical
	Not A Real Wizard

Master of Illusions
Illusions d10
Illusory Duplicates 3d8

SFX: Area Attack. Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6
to your pool and keep +1 effect die.
SFX: Fake Out. On a successful attack action against you by someone affected by an
illusion-based complication, spend a doom die to ignore the effect die and remove
a die from your Illusory Duplicates power. Recover Illusory Duplicates after a
Transition Scene.
SFX: Convincing Illusions. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when
inflicting illusion-based complications on a target.

Limit: Smoke and Mirrors. If your opponent obtains an extraordinary success when
reacting against your illusions, add a d6 or step up the lowest die in the doom
pool to deactivate all of your illusion-based resources and assets.

Tricked-Out Suit
Gas Emmitter d8
Leaping d6
Senses d6
Invisibility d8

SFX: Puff of Smoke. Spend a doom die to ignore immobilizing complications.
SFX: Knock-Out Gas. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when inflicting a
Getting Sleepy complication on a target.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown Tricked-Out Suit and step up or add d6 to the doom pool.
Spend d6 from the doom pool to recover.

Specialties:
Acrobatic Expert
Psych Expert
Menace Expert
Tech Expert
Science Expert

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Well, what do you think was overboard about it? Having fought the guy, I can say he felt about right to me (hard to pin down, kept pulling tricks out of thin air to slow our progress, etc,) but maybe I have too high an opinion of the guy. We can certainly work on it, if people are willing (and I'm happy to see that they are!)

Well, if he can get an illusion-based complication on his opponents, then he ends up as a sort of "mini" Large-Scale Threat, thanks to his Fake Out SFX. I might also have a biased opinion on his strength because I had a d12 in the doom pool at the time, and I never used it in any of his actions that were used to create illusion complication, because his Convincing Illusions SFX would allow him to one-shot a player.

Also, Mysterio is my favorite villain, so there's pretty much no way I didn't make him slightly more powerful than he probably should be.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Personally, I'm happy to see how many games of MHR we have running on this forum now. We have four campaigns going now, yeah?

Seeing as there seems to be a rising interest in MHR, maybe someone should create a general MHR IRC room on synIRC? Kinda like how #acolyte exists for 40k rpg's. I'd create it myself, but the last two times I created an IRC room for my MHR games, one of my players ended up as the OP instead of me.

But having a general IRC room would help new players and watchers by letting them ask questions to people who aren't a part of the game they're in, and we could link several helpful resources in the topic, such as the Player Cheat Sheet.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Alright, so earlier Kellsterik created #makeminemhr, but since he probably never registered his nick, I ended up as OP for the channel. Decided to just roll with it and have registered #makeminemhr and have put the player cheat sheet in the topic. If anyone else has suggestions on what to add to the topic, feel free to tell me either in here or in the IRC channel. Volunteers for channel OPs would also be nice, since I'm not on all day.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Who might we reskin him as indeed, Danger. Who indeed.

:stare:

Well, just looking at your avatar and the emoticon makes me think you're suggesting a drunk psychopath Tony Stark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Error 404 posted:

I'll have to try and snag the annihilation book then. Although I'm working on a different angle for originals.
Like, an idea I'm thinking about to have a little more balance is the progression of die steps:
1d12 = 2d10 = 3d8 = 4d6

I figured depending on power level and what the watcher is trying to run, every player gets 3d12 to play with, which can be broken down according to the above progression into however many powers they wish, spread into as many powersets as they wish while retaining a little bit of parity.

You can have a 3d12 powerhouse standing side by side with a 16d6 olympic level athlete, doctor, physicist, secret agent.

of course then I'm stuck trying to figure out a good average for SFX.

I'd probably want to expand the specialties list, and also add a 'competent' level at d6 or something.

I really wouldn't worry too much about balancing character creation. If a player has a solid concept, they should be allowed to take whatever traits and SFX they think the concept needs. This is a system where Hawkeye and Thor can work together without overshadowing each other. Sure, if someone makes a guy with all d12's, that might be a little iffy, but then that probably doesn't even fit his concept anyways unless he's making Galactus or something.

The only thing you should limit is scale, depending on the game you're running. If the game is all about street-level justice, then having a guy who is a powerful sorcerer and can teleport across space doesn't really fit, regardless of what die size his traits are.

• Locked thread