Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
A question for people who're used to making custom datafiles: how would you represent a power that can cause a boatload of collateral damage if it's used in a special way? I'm specifically thinking of someone whose powers are just 1) being invulnerable and 2) being able to fly fast, and uses their powers to fly into things at high speeds - if they try to hit one guy the collateral damage will probably just be limited to what they fly into, but if they try to hit the ground specifically, there will probably be an explosion with significant collateral damage.

The actual powers are simple enough (Supersonic Flight d10, Godlike Durability d12, use the Flight when attacking) but I'm struggling on how to model things with SFX/Limits. Should I give it a single SFX that combines Area and Unleashed (something like "against multiple targets, double Flight dice, then add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target, but add the highest die to the doom pool if your action fails")? Or should I just give it the Area SFX and the Growing Dread Limit? The former feels clunky, but the latter

Also, I'm not sure whether the invulnerability in this case would be better modelled as d12 Durability, d10 Durability with Invulnerable, or d12 Durability with Invulnerable.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Error 404 posted:

So maybe you'd want something kind of like this?

The problem is that the Collateral limit should only apply when they use one of their powers in a very specific way, and always applies in that case. It's only when the power is used with the Area SFX that it really causes collateral damage worthy of Growing Dread. If I give the character separate Area/Unleashed SFXs and a general Growing Dread limit on the whole power set, that means using the powers in a different way would also have collateral, and that they could use Area without Unleashed and vice versa.

Maybe I should make a separate power set with that specific application of their powers so the whole set can get the limit and the mish-mash SFX doesn't apply to normal uses of their powers?

And yeah, I know the similarities to Cannonball but his sheet doesn't have anything like that kind of "devastating area attack with huge collateral" thing going.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Both of those work. Thanks for the suggestions!

e; for the record, this is what I ended up going with:

quote:

Ballistic
Solo d8 Buddy d6 Team d10

"Mach 6 Girl"
"Temper, Temper"
"She's Just a Kid!"

Power Set: Personal Psionic Field
Supersonic Flight d10
Godlike Durability d12

SFX: Area: against multiple target, add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Berserk: add a die from the doom pool to one or more attack actions. Step up the doom pool die by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when you're done.
SFX: Invulnerability: if your reaction dice pool includes Godlike Durability, spend 1PP to ignore physical stress or trauma.

Limit: Conscious Activation: if stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown Personal Psionic Field. Recover Personal Psionic Field when stress is recovered or you awake.
Limit: Collateral: if an attack action in which you used Supersonic Flight fails, add d6 to the doom pool.

Acrobatics Expert d8
Combat Expert d8

Short Fuse
1XP when your Collateral limit triggers for the first time in a scene.
3XP when your loss of temper causes harm to someone you like or admire.
10XP when you either admit your anger issues and agree to work on solving them, or when you decide you're comfortable with your destructive impulses, and drat the consequences.

Aren't You A Bit Young For This?
1XP when someone tells you you're too young.
3XP when a teammate or enemy underestimates you because of your age.
10XP when the adults finally recognise that your age doesn't matter and you belong on the team, or when you realise that you are too young and decide to take a break from being a superhero.

I made Collateral d6, since it systematically applies to every attack using Flight and she also has Berserk to represent the flying people through buildings thing; I was a bit worried she'd be adding a million d10s to the doom pool otherwise.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 18, 2014

• Locked thread