Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Is there an Uatu datafile out there, or is it assumed to be the 'how to GM' section?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I was asking this in the Civil War gamethread but this is a good place too! I read some blog speculating that Dust was going to be the next host for the Phoenix after her Obligatory X-men Dark Future had her of all people killing everyone, and I couldn't help wondering about non-Summers hosts. How would you design an unlockable powerset for (a fragment of) the Phoenix Force? I'm not extremely familiar with its sordid history in the comics, but the end result I want is "incredibly dangerous telekinetic power boost and upgrade to cosmic scale" rather than "star-consuming space god".

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 9, 2013

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

Is there a better chargen in one of the later books?

This is designed to let you make random datafiles, but implicitly has guidelines for making a custom one with a reasonable number and variety of powers/distinctions/etc. Another option would be starting from one of the published ones you like and changing things one at a time, I guess- the published datafiles have grown on me but when I first heard of this system I was definitely disappointed that custom chargen was an afterthought.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
The simple and modular nature of this system makes me really like the idea of upgrading a character and gradually adding new and bigger dice. Especially for a game where the players were new heroes or mutants in training or something, I would probably lower the cost of unlockables for new SFX and powers and specialties and so on.

Actually, I do really like the idea of a game based on new students in the competing X-academies with different ideologies that's been going on in X-men lately. It would be cool to switch between two separate groups of characters, or even have two sets of players.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Officially requesting a datafile for Bi-Beast. Note that he should have no Science specialty because his two heads know only of warfare and culture, not science.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Finally sat down and tinkered with datafiles again.

Did you get to the datafile-making stage for Man-Thing in West Coast Avengers? I'd really be interested in seeing that writeup.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm not too skilled with IRC commands like setting topics but I just created #makeminemhr if people want to use it!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I was playing with the random datafile generator, trying to intentionally pick the worst options (as in fewest/lowest traits) to see what happened, and ended up making a pretty solid character thanks to the SFX and other things you're given to compensate. Check it out!

quote:

BLUESCREEN
Distinctions:
Small Fish in a Big Pond
Would-be Luddite
Untrained Technopath

DAMPENING FIELD
D10 Technology Resistance
D6 Technology Influence
SFX: Failsafe. When using Technology Resistance D10 in a reaction pool, convert any received physical stress to mental stress at no cost.
SFX: Object Reading. On a successful reaction against a technology powered action, convert your opponent's effect die into a stunt or step up a DAMPENING FIELD power by +1 for your next action. Spend 1 PP to use this even if your reaction roll fails.
SFX: Shutdown. When attacking robotic or power armored targets, add d6 to your pool and step up your effect die by +1.
Limit: Weak Ego. Earn 1 PP to step up mental stress inflicted by psychic attacks by +1.

SPECIALTIES:
Tech Expert D8
Psych Expert D8
Covert Expert D8

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Unless you want to try and explain a guy who's powers are getting really big, turning invisible, and commanding plant life.

Believe me, I do! The reason I love random rolling for supers games is trying to justify the most absurd power and origin combos. I think I need to try statting up some of the random Heroes Unlimited characters i've generated in MHR.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

*What the spirit of this game is is making 60's era, time-traveling, teenage Cyclops join an impromptu Defenders team, with Black Bolt and Slapstick, to battle Dr. Doom's hot new invisible skyship armada, and the endless legions of Servo-guards he's laying waste to Manhattan with.

I'm on it, Chief.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Give them an SFX that lets them step up their effect die when inflicting physical stress on demons, as long as they've killed someone in the real world, and have them keep track of the ammo themselves. They can't use the SFX if they don't have any ammo. You might even give them a second powerset to represent their powered up armory in the other world, with the Mutually Exclusive limit.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Is Nathaniel Richards pushing it? I just remember him in Hickman's FF hanging around in a t-shirt making pancakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I noticed it in the thread, but there's something elegant about having the two hands as separate powersets so you can mix and match. I think I saw a Mandarin datafile that just put all ten powers in one with a bunch of SFX, this seems better.

• Locked thread