Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

PrincessWuffles posted:

Also, Civil War would have been a lot better as a comic if they'd remembered to have all of the interesting things actually happen in the main book instead of scattered over all of the satellite titles. Gotta sell those other titles, too, though, I guess.

For my money, Civil War would have been a lot better if the pro-reg side had been painted as a plausible position rather than just 'bad guys of the week'. But that's a discussion for another thread.

I ran a mini-event of MHR not long after release and found that Area powers were ridiculously effective - did anyone else find that, and did anyone come up with a good house rule for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Bluescreen is pretty cool.

Anyway, since ibntumart was so good as to do Planetman, I give you

THE LANDLORD
Boss Bailey (public)

Affiliations
Solo D4 Buddy D6 Team D8

Distinctions
The Man Who Has Everything
Beyond Greed
Real Estate Emperor

Power Sets

MY HOUSE
Environment Control d10
Superhuman Senses d10
Teleportation d10

SFX: Master of This House. Spend a d6 doom die to ignore stress, trauma or complications related to turning the environment against him.
SFX: That's The Living Room, This Is The Dying Room. When using a MY HOUSE power to create a complication related to a pre-placed trap or hazard, add a d6 and step up the effect die.
Limit: Earth-bound. MY HOUSE powers only function on Earth, or another planet the Landlord happens to own.
Limit: Bureaucratic Entanglement. Turn a MY HOUSE power into a complication to gain a d6 doom die or step up the lowest die in the doom pool.

MY PEOPLE
Mind Control d10
Loyal Tenants d8 d8 d8

SFX: Payment in Unkind. Spend a d8 doom die to add a d8 to Loyal Tenants, to a maximum of 5d8.
Limit: Just Guys. Loyal Tenants can be targeted as if it was a mob of enemies rather than a power - it counts as a target for Area powers, each d8 or higher effect reduces it by a full die, etc.
Limit: Limited Lease. MY PEOPLE powers only function on people on Earth, or another planet the Landlord happens to own.

Specialties
Business Master d10
Crime Expert d8
Menace Expert d8
Psych Expert d8

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Now I know why you wrote Captain America out. Who will defend us from British imperialism now?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm afraid I can't help you with Venom because I'm not much of a comics expert.

I just came here to post this - http://potatocubed.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/a-very-brief-mhr-hack-for-exalted.pdf - which is a short thing I wrote about using MHR to run Exalted.

I wrote it a while back then realised I'd forgotten to tell anyone about it. :shobon:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I know most of them were in the books, but those have been discontinued (boo). I can't think of anywhere where the official writeups might remain outside of :filez:.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
To be fair, the official Silver Surfer data file is pretty much all d12s as well. But with MHR it's less about the numbers than it is the distinctions and milestones - the things which really tell you what a character is about.

(Although sometimes you see something clever - the way Amadeus Cho is set up, for example, or Multiple Man.)

It occurs to me that if you want to browse some datasheets, check out page 1 of the various MHR PbPs on this forum - we post the stats of our characters there for easy access, so you can browse them and see how they work. We've got mostly official characters in Civil War, and Amadeus Cho, Thor and Ronan are official datafiles in my Annihilation game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Got bored at work, so I statted up some of my old CoX characters.

GILLIAN FROST (public)
An anthropologist and psychologist who managed to gain the blessing of a powerful north wind spirit while poking about in a frozen city in the Arctic Circle. She tries to balance her duties as an educator and a researcher with defending people from other magic-users.

AFFILIATIONS
Team d10, Buddy d8, Solo d6

DISTINCTIONS
Withering Wit
Respected Social Scientist
Magic is Dangerous

POWER SETS

BLESSING OF THE NORTH WIND
Weather Mastery d10
Ice Mastery d10
Subsonic Flight d8
Lightning Blast d8

SFX: Harsh Weather. When using Ice Mastery or Weather Mastery to create a complication, add a d6 and step up the effect.

SFX: Multipower. Add more than one BLESSING OF THE NORTH WIND power to a pool, stepping down each die once for every power after the first.

SFX: Force 10. Step up or double Weather Mastery for a single roll, then add a die equal to its original size to the Doom Pool.

Limit: Exhaustion. Shut down a BLESSING OF THE NORTH WIND power in order to gain a PP. Activate an opportunity or experience a transition scene to recover.

SPECIALTIES
Science Expert d8
Mystic Expert d8

MILESTONES
Science vs Magic
1 XP when you complain that your mystic powers are overshadowing your scientific qualifications.
3 XP when you create an advantage or resource using your Mystic Expert specialty.
10 XP when you either turn away from your mystic powers for good* or when you take the plunge and commit to the path of sorcery.

*Replacing them with a scientific or technological equivalent (or totally different power set) is a good way to score the 10 XP and still remain part of the game.

Coldheart
1 XP when you suppress an emotional reaction to something in favour of a 'rational' response.
3 XP when you add your emotional stress or trauma to a dice pool, or otherwise give free rein to your emotional side.
10 XP when you take steps to lock down your emotional state for good, or when you finally decide to open up to the world.

MASKED REPTILE (no real name)
A newt genetically uplifted into human form and schooled in the secret martial arts of the dead, Masked Reptile is a testament to what will happen when you absolutely must spend all of this year's R&D budget.

AFFILIATIONS
Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6

DISTINCTIONS
Relentless
No One Really Expected This
Humanity Is Only Skin Deep

POWER SETS

UPLIFTED NEWT
Superhuman Stamina d10
Enhanced Speed d8
Enhanced Senses d8

SFX: Regeneration. Spend a PP to recover physical stress or step back physical trauma.

Limit: Experimental Biology. Turn an UPLIFTED NEWT power into a complication in order to gain a PP. Activate an opportunity, experience a transition scene, or remove the complication to recover.

Limit: Not Human. Step up emotional or mental stress received from someone playing on your animal nature in order to gain a PP.

THE BLACK KUNG FU OF THE DEAD
Enhanced Strength d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Darkforce Control d8

SFX: Focus. Combine any two dice of the same size in a pool into one die one step larger.

SFX: Deadly Force. Step up or double a BLACK KUNG FU OF THE DEAD power for a single attack, remove the highest-rolling die from the pool, and use three dice for your total.

Limit: Who Thought This Was A Good Idea? When a pool contains a BLACK KUNG FU OF THE DEAD power, treat any dice which roll a 1 or a 2 as opportunities, not just those that roll a 1.

SPECIALTIES
Combat Expert d8
Covert Expert d8

MILESTONES
Just Another Animal-Themed Superhero
1 XP when you encounter another superhero (or villain) who is either an animal hybrid or has an animal theme to their powers.
3 XP when your Not Human limit is activated for the first time in a scene.
10 XP when you take the leadership role in a team of animal-themed heroes, or when you abandon all that to pursue the human side of your nature.

Bridge Between the Living and the Dead
1 XP when you talk to a ghost or other undead as if it was no big deal.
3 XP when you betray an ally or abandon a duty in order to follow the instructions of a ghost or other undead.
10 XP when you either abandon your teammates to devote yourself to serving the wishes of the dead full-time, or when you turn away from the dead in order to serve the living.

And his archenemy...

HAEMOTOXIN (no real name)
The first 'uplifted reptile' worked so well, they tried it again - only this one's evil and favours modern firearms over martial arts. He can often be found rounding up small-time gangs and robbing banks to fund his materialistic ways.

AFFILIATIONS
Team d8, Solo d6, Buddy d4

DISTINCTIONS
Cold-Blooded Killer
Materialistic
Looking Out For Number One

POWER SETS

UPLIFTED VIPER
Enhanced Stamina d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Superhuman Senses d10
Fangs d6

SFX: Venomous. When using Fangs to create a complication relating to poison, add a d8 and step up the effect die.

SFX: Jacobson's Organ. Spend a d6 Doom die to ignore complications relating to blindness or other sensory impairment.

Limit: Exhaustion. Shut down an UPLIFTED VIPER power in order to add a d6 to the Doom Pool or step up the lowest Doom die. Recover with a transition scene or by activating an opportunity.

MODERN ARSENAL
Guns d8
Enhanced Durability d8

SFX: Explosives. When using Guns in an attack, add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for every target beyond the first.

SFX: Collateral Damage. When using an effect die to add to the Doom Pool, you may instead add two dice at one step lower, or three dice at two steps lower.

Limit: Gear. Shut down a MODERN ARSENAL power in order to add a d6 to the Doom Pool or step up the lowest Doom die. Recover with a transition scene or by activating an opportunity.

SPECIALTIES
Combat Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Crime Expert d8
Vehicle Expert d8

• Locked thread