Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

ibntumart posted:

Plus I always worry with random generation. In MSH, you could have a PC who winds up with an angel who has Amazing Alter Reality in the same group as someone who rolled a half-goatman, half-fungus hero with Poor Levitation and Typical Prehensile Hair. I know that level of hilarious disparity isn't going to happen in Marvel Heroic, but there's still the chance of someone rolling a somewhat anemic single power set and someone else scoring three power sets with several D12s, right?

Meh. I should just stop worrying about that. I might try converting some of my old PCs into the current rule system and see how that works out. I might even ask one of you guys to volunteer running a mock combat to make sure I know what I'm doing.

The great thing about Marvel Heroic is that, even if it looks like there's a huge disparity between, say, Hulk and his bucket-o'-d12s and Punisher with his handful of d8s, the actual difference is pretty small. Check it out:

Let's say Frank Castle gets a little big for his britches and decides he's going after the Hulk. We'll further assume that Frank is being really dumb and not using his Specialties to create any real resources or anything before the fight. Finally, we'll stick to basic rolls for this illustration: no PP or SFX coming in to muddy the issue.

Punisher's operating Solo (d10), he's an Obsessed Vigilante (d8), he's got a lot of guns (Weapon d8), and he's a Combat Master (d10). If we assume average rolls on all dice and characters going for the highest total rather than effect die, that puts Frank at a result of 11 with a d8 effect die.

Hulk, on the other hand, is also a Solo act (d10), he's an Engine of Destruction (d8), and he's got Godlike Strength (d12). Following the same rules as Frank, that puts him at a result of 12 and a d8 effect die.

Now, of course that's hugely simplified, and SFX and Plot Points and Scene Distinctions can all swing that outcome hugely, but still this example goes to show that Marvel has a deceptively flat power curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Solomonic posted:

It incorporates all kinds of combat and powers well, and I'm willing to bet it could be easily adapted to universes other than Marvel. It's great to see somebody else who likes the system as much as I do because I don't feel it gets nearly enough love, it should be right up there with FATE in terms of roleplay-driven gaming.

Fact: MHR does White Wolf's Scion better than White Wolf's Scion.

Okay, let me rephrase that, since really a lot of things do White Wolf's Scion better than White Wolf's Scion:

MHR does White Wolf's Scion really really well.

Solomonic posted:

If anybody else on Watcher duty is running a game over the holidays, a holiday-themed custom scene was released earlier this week and I tested it out with my group in today's session. It's really good for a one-off, particularly if you want to encourage your players to rely on more than just physical stress for everything - the Hulk in this one isn't dependent on doom dice for his SFX. In fact, he generates doom dice to symbolize him getting madder as people hit him, and the party didn't really catch onto this until he'd already been hit hard twice and loaded the Doom Pool, so they really got beaten up.

Hey, those Hulk stats look vaguely familiar...

(That's me, BTW.)

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 18, 2012

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Solomonic posted:

In that case, thank you for coming up with the Hulk that dude's event used. Hell, I think it's better than the official Hulk - it beat seven shades of hell out of my players and encouraged some very lateral thinking. It's awesome and you're awesome for making it.

D'aww, thanks. I totally wrote that not too long after the core game came out; with mote hindsight I'd probably do something mote like a mix of my Hulk and the official Hulk. But I'm glad you and your players enjoyed this one!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Vomax posted:

The most important question: does it have stats for Beta Ray Bill?

Yes. Yes it does.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Solomonic posted:

Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius)

The Master Planner
Megalomaniacal
Brilliant Scientist

Powerset: Robotic Harness

Superhuman Strength d10, Superhuman Durability d10
Stretching d8, Wall-Crawling d6, Cybernetic Senses d8

SFX: Area Attack. Target up to 3 additional enemies. For each additional target, add a d6 and keep an extra effect die.
SFX: Multitasking. Add multiple Robotic Harness powers to your dice pool, at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: I'm a Genius! Step up any science or tech resources you create during an action scene.
SFX: Criminal Mastermind. Borrow a die from the doom pool for one action. If that action succeeds, return the die afterwards. If it fails, you may either take the die as mental stress or step it down before returning it.
SFX: Uplinked. Doctor Octopus can remotely control his arms, and may create assets or complications in scenes where he is not physically present if his dice pool contains Cybernetic Senses.

Specialties: Crime Expert d8, Science Master d10, Tech Master d10

I did this in literally five minutes so it's definitely open to debate. I kinda feel like I missed something important but I can't put my finger on what it is. shobon

Looks pretty good, but you're right on missing important things: You forgot to give him Affiliation dice, and his power set doesn't have a Limit. I'd maybe give him some kind of EMP weakness or something that steps up emotional stress when he argues with his arms.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

APB On:
Doctor Octopus
Electro
Kraven the Hunter
Mysterio: In custody, undergoing questioning.
Sandman
The Vulture

Hell, why not?

Kraven the Hunter
Solo d10
Buddy d6
Team d8

Distinctions
Maniacal Big-Game Hunter
Obsessed With Spider-Man
The Honor of the Hunt

MYSTICAL JUNGLE POTION
Enhanced Strength d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Superhuman Durability d10
Superhuman Senses d10

SFX: Hunter's Focus. In a pool including a Mystical Jungle Potion die, replace two dice of the same size with one die at +1 step.
SFX: Elaborate Preparations. When inflicting a trap-related or Power Loss complication, add a d6 and step up the effect die.
SFX: Pressure Point Strikes. Against a single target, step back the largest die in your pool to add a d6 and step up physical stress inflicted.
Limit: Regular Doses. Shutdown Mystical Jungle Potion to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up the smallest die in the doom pool. Participate in a Transition Scene to recover.

TRAINED LIONS
The Pride 3d8
Leaping d8
Terrible Jaws d8

SFX: Pack Tactics. Step up or double a Trained Lions die for one action. Remove the highest-rolling die and keep an additional die for your result
SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an extra effect die.
Limit: Out of Control! Turn The Pride into a complication and shut down all other Trained Lion powers to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up the smallest die in the doom pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.
Limit: Pride Cohesion. The Pride may be targeted individually or by Area Attack SFX. d10 physical stress inflicted removes a die from The Pride. Recover The Pride after a Transition Scene.

Specialties
Acrobatic Expert
Combat Master
Covert Master
Menace Expert
Psych Expert

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Druggeddwarf posted:

Oh BTW, does anyone know where one could find printer friendly versions of the Datafiles? Especially the ones in the first book.

I recall they released something like that but it isn't on any site that I can see.

If you got the pdfs through DriveThruRPG, the printer friendly datafiles should be in your Library. If not, and assuming it doesn't run afoul of :filez:, I can email you the printer-friendly versions of the Basic, Civil War, and 50 State Initiative datafiles. Let me know and I'll double check with Winson to make sure it's kosher.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 28, 2013

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Can't keep a good system down.

Edit: Anyone seen any good stats for Wilson Fisk? I may need a Kingpin in the near future, but I'm not sure how best o build him myself.

He's on page CW145 if you have the Civil War event book.

ibntumart posted:

What I'm saying is that I love MHR and can't wait to see the system continue in a Heroic Cortex Plus rulebook (that's still happening, right? Right?).

Not sure if they're doing a full rulebook or not, but the C+ Hacker's Guide has the basic mechanics and the Fantasy Heroic Roleplaying rules.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

I have a data file up on the wiki for him, if you'd like my take. Other than that, I think his staff should be its own set, and rather than a blast power, he should have manipulation, since he doesn't shoot energy on its own like Cyclops.

Technically true, but since his "charge something and make it explode" power is so ubiquitous and easy to trigger it's better modelled as a Blast. If all Gambit has is Kinetic Control, he effectively can't attack with exploding playing cards more often than once every two turns. He should probably have Kinetic Control at d8 too, though.

Druggeddwarf posted:

I would suggest splitting it up to give him something like Cajun Hearthrob or something similar that has weapon d8 and all his enhanced abilities, then kinetic energy with the incredibly well named sfx.

Also this. Any time a character has two distinct "flavors" of power, you should strongly consider splitting them up into two Power Sets.

Curious also what the justification for the Bust limit is. I'm no huge Gambit expert (though now I'm sorely tempted to fire up Marvel Heroes), but I don't recall him having a weakness like that. Seems to me you'd want to move the staff and the enhanced stuff to their own Power Set with Exhausted (and maybe Gear for the staff specifically) and drop Bust altogether. Other than that, looks solid to me.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Anyway, I think having only one powerset that's full of 6s and 8s makes for a pretty lacking character compared to a lot of the other X-Men, who either have two powersets (Rogue, Wolverine, Emma Frost) or whose single set involves rolling with 10s or 12s as their go-to dice for attacking and defending (Colossus, Storm, Rachel). But I like to be throwing big dice if I only get to use 3-4 in a roll.

Bare minimum if he's only got one power set you should consider an SFX like Versatile or Multipower that lets him roll more than one die from the power set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The problem is that the Collateral limit should only apply when they use one of their powers in a very specific way, and always applies in that case. It's only when the power is used with the Area SFX that it really causes collateral damage worthy of Growing Dread. If I give the character separate Area/Unleashed SFXs and a general Growing Dread limit on the whole power set, that means using the powers in a different way would also have collateral, and that they could use Area without Unleashed and vice versa.

Maybe I should make a separate power set with that specific application of their powers so the whole set can get the limit and the mish-mash SFX doesn't apply to normal uses of their powers?

And yeah, I know the similarities to Cannonball but his sheet doesn't have anything like that kind of "devastating area attack with huge collateral" thing going.

I'd maybe do it by giving him a version of Area that adds d8s instead of d6s, but then moves the largest die in your pool to the doom pool after the roll.

• Locked thread