Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ibntumart posted:

I meant Cortex Plus. I didn't know about the other ones and now I'm just confused. And sad, too, if the Marvel Heroic version is the only version using that Cortex mechanic MWP publishes or ever plans to publish.

They're just the three games under Cortex Plus. The Kickstarter for the Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide just made enough that it unlocked generic versions. Cortex Action is Leverage minus the license, Cortex Drama is Smallville minus the license, and there isn't a generic Marvel Heroic but they did unlock a fantasy hack for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

JDCorley posted:

I would say that in an Action Scene, normally the High Evolutionary's evolving/devolving effect is more gradual. "Argh, I can fight it!" yells the character. Essentially I would do something like "Devolving!" as a Complication and try to step it up over d12. Being 'Taken Out' by devolution means you run off into the Savage Land or the sewers of New York or something and the next scenes may have to do with the team trying to get an antidote for you, and maybe they have to fight you to administer it or something.

On that note, this is pretty similar to how they suggest handling devolution in Breakout. I don't think anyone would mind if I copy-pasted the relevant sidebar in here.

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Basic Game posted:

The Savage Land Mutate known as Brainchild has some advanced genetic gadgets in the headquarters, any of which might serve as a Tech Master stunt for him during a battle (at the usual cost). What he really wants to do is devolve or mutate a hero who isn’t already a mutant or mutate, such as Black Widow, Iron Fist, or Iron Man. If one of these heroes is stressed out during the battle, Brainchild has instructed a brutish mutate to carry the fallen hero to one of the machines and flip the switch.

Spend a doom die to create a Devolved complication on the stressed out hero. The rating of the complication is equal to the doom die spent. For as long as he remains in this state, this complication hinders the hero on any action or reaction dependant on being intelligent or able to use technology or tools. Heroes with Science or Tech Mastery can reverse the effects like they were recovering stress.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

ibntumart posted:

Do you need the Cortex System RPG rulebook to use the Hacker's Guide or just the MHR basic rules? Or do you even need that?

No to both of those. The old Cortex System rules aren't really needed by anyone at the moment, and they reprint the basic rules of all three major Cortex Plus releases in the book, renamed as Cortex Action, Cortex Drama and Cortex Heroic.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Yeah, I'm going to agree with Astus here. As long as everyone is on the same power level conceptually and no one goes completely nuts with the SFX, everyone's characters should work well together. Although that does remind me that at least one person should know what kind of stuff the common SFXes and Limits represent fictionally when you're making characters. Otherwise it'll be a bit hard choosing good ones for the characters they're trying to make.

On the subject of making characters, here's the random datafile generator someone reuploaded after MWP took it down. It at least shows that they don't mind having a large range of die sizes between power sets in the same party.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

There's also the various OOC threads for active games, if you want to see sheets that didn't get into an actual game. It'll let you see a wider variety of data files, if nothing else.

(Also, the actual official Silver Surfer data file has ten d12s in his power sets. Annihilation does many things, but it sure doesn't undersell the Power Cosmic.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Error 404 posted:

So maybe you'd want something kind of like this?

SFX: Kinetic Bombardment: Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target and then add a die from the doom pool to your attack action. Step up the doom pool die by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when done.

Limit: Collateral Damage. Both 1's and 2's in your dice pools count as opportunities, although only 1's are excluded from use in your actions and reactions.

I'll be honest, I don't like lumping together SFX like you did with Kinetic Bombardment. It just feels like it makes your abilities less clear for very little gain. Also, as written you can't benefit from tackling a single guy through an office building because it's technically only against a single entity even though that's the kind of the thing the Berserk-esque part of that SFX is there for.

Personally, I'd rather write it out like this:

SFX: Kinetic Bombardment: When using Superhuman Flight in an attack action, add a a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.]/i]
SFX: Unstoppable Force: Add a die from the doom pool to your next attack action. After the attack, step up the doom die and return it to the doom pool.
Limit: Collateral Damage: [i]Both 1's and 2's in your dice pools count as opportunities, although only 1's are excluded from use in your actions and reactions.

(Also, Invulnerable is for characters that ignore big attacks all the time. Since your character seems to be all about flying into and through things, I'd say that they've earned having both Durability d12 and Invulnerable.)

EDIT: I forgot about Unleashed entirely until ibntumart mentioned it. That one fits better than the renamed Berserk SFX if the collateral damage is accidental, but not as well if you're intentionally flying people through buildings all the time. Then again, you can model occasionally flying someone through a building with a stunt if you really wanted to, so Unleashed is probably the safer bet here.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 17, 2014

• Locked thread