Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's too bad I didn't really get a grasp on this until the shop closed, but potatocubed's Annihlation game on the forums got to finally dig into this game, and I picked up the Civil War hardback last weekend. I didn't really get it how the game worked until I've seen a bit of it run, and it really does feel like something special as far as recapturing the comics. It had first dismissed it for a number of traditional RPG notions (no traditional character generation, not liking affiliations, some misconceptions as to how events worked), but taking it as it is I'm finding it really interesting. I still think the dice pool system obfuscates odds pretty much beyond any sane measure, but it's also an interesting "evening-out" mechanism.

I presume physical copies of the Civil War supplements are pretty much impossible to get, now? Everything else seems widely available, but I couldn't find a source on those. And Annihilation never got a physical version, as I understand it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

JDCorley posted:

Yeah, I never saw the Civil War supplements in print though they have been spotted in the wild.

I've seen them myself, but my FLGS only has the core stuff at this point, unsurprisingly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Anybody know if there's any templates or the like to produce a datafile layout that approximates the books, either for player characters or Watcher characters? Maybe I should just bug the Plot Points blog and find out how they do it, but I figured it was worth asking.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Those would be fine, to be honest, I'm just looking for something better-looking than the official sheet or my own word processor hackwork. I emailed Mark at Plot Points, now I just need to work on stuff to make that kind of thing worthwhile.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Captain Hats posted:

My Civil War game has started up and thus far is an absolute blast. I've decided to make a few changes to continuity to make the government not cartoonishly evil, one of the changes being from the Mac Gargan version of Venom to Agent Venom. Unfortunately for flash, I haven't read any comics starring him so I'm going purely by wikis for the datafile. Could someone with more knowledge of the character tell me what I'm doing wrong with this datafile?

Honestly it looks like you nailed it pretty well. It's probably more complicated than I'd make it, but that's a design thing rather than a character thing. About the only other thing that comes to mind is his bouts with alcoholism, but I don't know if that'd be a thing to fit in mechanically or not. Another thing is that early on he had a "Multi-Gun" which basically was a gadget that let him emulate any mundane gun, though I don't know if that would really be more than just Weapons.

It's worth looking up his series, the first half by Rick Remender (issues 1-22), was a lot of fun and really sold that take on the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I haven't seen it run, but the Thunderbolts scenarios in Fifty State Initiative are designed for exactly this.

• Locked thread