Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

My grandmother was a piano teacher her whole life and slipped on spilled oil at an Aramco gas station in the 70’s, breaking both her forearms. Aramco settled and paid for her recovery plus damages, and she took the extra money to buy herself a full-size pipe organ, which had always been her dream. In order to house the organ in playable state she had to convert her attached garage into a second den - the organ den - where she practiced organ the rest of her life until she had to move to a nursing home in her 80’s due to dementia. Until her death at 97 she could still play Bach études when we walked her to the upright piano in the hallway outside her shared room at the home, although she had long forgotten our names and faces.

Your grandmother was badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Unperson_47 posted:

Your grandmother was badass.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dicty Bojangles posted:

My grandmother was a piano teacher her whole life and slipped on spilled oil at an Aramco gas station in the 70’s, breaking both her forearms. Aramco settled and paid for her recovery plus damages, and she took the extra money to buy herself a full-size pipe organ, which had always been her dream. In order to house the organ in playable state she had to convert her attached garage into a second den - the organ den - where she practiced organ the rest of her life until she had to move to a nursing home in her 80’s due to dementia. Until her death at 97 she could still play Bach études when we walked her to the upright piano in the hallway outside her shared room at the home, although she had long forgotten our names and faces.

Your grandma loving rules. Rest in power

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dicty Bojangles posted:

buy a full-size pipe organ

Classic blunder when Hititophones were available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Sam Battle would disagree... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLluPQLh1xzlI7EMB5qIxDd_1OLE-Z_kyC

Actually, Sam would probably love one of those insane instruments...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know how I've never heard of this instrument.

https://twitter.com/Komaniecki_R/status/1770170462028357991?s=20

It sounds like sim city 2000 music

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

quote:

December 1942. "Chicago, Illinois. Hump master in a Chicago and North Western Railroad yard operating a signal switch system which extends the length of the hump track. He is thus able to control movements of locomotives pushing the train over the hump from his post at the hump office." Acetate negative by Jack Delano for the Office of War Information.

https://www.shorpy.com/node/27366

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

:huh:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
hump office, lmao.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think the hump system is all automated these days. Lots of railyard stuff is automated. It's how you can run a mile long train with a grand total of one engineer although you should have two for safety.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some train cars have DO NOT HUMP written on them to discourage adventurous engineers.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It sounds like sim city 2000 music

Apparently there's no way to get sc2k running unless you run the dos version or actually just install an entire virtual machine os, which is loving insane to me

Like you can legit at this point probably run an entire computer inside ram as a ram drive of some kind and not notice except it's unnaturally fast

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Apparently there's no way to get sc2k running unless you run the dos version or actually just install an entire virtual machine os, which is loving insane to me

Like you can legit at this point probably run an entire computer inside ram as a ram drive of some kind and not notice except it's unnaturally fast

If you can run something in Dosbox, that's a win. Which includes Windows 3.1 and sundry. The lovely bit is the stuff that came out circa Windows 98 and relied on some stuff there

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I downloaded a windows 95 era magic the gathering game off an abandon ware site and it crashes on startup with "failed to launch Dave's Cool Timer"

Game development used to be cool

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Mar 25, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The animations rely on some insane 256-colour SVGA palette swapping magic. There's a workaround for modern systems but it has the negative side effect of causing the cost of zones and stuff that shows up near your cursor to stop working.

I've been trying to get a flawless modern version of SC2K Network Edition to work for almost a decade now and I'm still basically exactly where I started. The Maxis folks were on some good poo poo when they hacked that game together.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
So I missclicked something today and was greeted by this screen.

Made me chuckle a bit.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Would it kill Microsoft or Google to just stick to one line of products keeping the same names and functionality and improve upon them iteratively?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Butterfly Valley posted:

Would it kill Microsoft or Google to just stick to one line of products keeping the same names and functionality and improve upon them iteratively?

literally yes

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Butterfly Valley posted:

No one gets promoted for fixing an existing product.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Lowen SoDium posted:

No one gets promoted for fixing an existing product.

ding ding ding

tech debt backlog is lame. work on the new monetization scheme

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
re: virtually running old machines

my mom loved the screen saver called Jonny Castaway
It obviously doesn't run on anything modern

I found online instructions to get it working:
The .scr file brings up a DOS VM and runs it in that full screen and has hooks to quit and change the resolution back when it's done. I can't believe it all works, but it does and has been solid for 3 years now and she loves it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

namlosh posted:

re: virtually running old machines

my mom loved the screen saver called Jonny Castaway
It obviously doesn't run on anything modern

I found online instructions to get it working:
The .scr file brings up a DOS VM and runs it in that full screen and has hooks to quit and change the resolution back when it's done. I can't believe it all works, but it does and has been solid for 3 years now and she loves it.

woah, I've never heard of this one but that's really cool

I sorta miss the days of cool screen savers. Nowadays I just have my monitor turn off instead of going to a screensaver

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Ah, Jonny Castaway. I fondly remember changing the date and time on the computer to trigger special events, like dating the mermaid and stuff.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

VGA palette tricks are fun, and strangely simple - I used to play with it in basic. Basically, you draw with 256 numbered colors ("this is a line of color 72") and there is a table of which color to display for each number. The entries are full 24-bit color, and if you change them it immediately takes effect on the next screen refresh.

So if you pick a handful of color numbers and draw a gradient with them, and then cycle the color values for those, it looks funky. :)

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

I downloaded a windows 95 era magic the gathering game off an abandon ware site and it crashes on startup with "failed to launch Dave's Cool Timer"

Game development used to be cool

If that's the Microprose game, that game loving rips and I hope you get it working. There's a community patch that adds a ton of updated card sets to it too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Computer viking posted:

VGA palette tricks are fun, and strangely simple - I used to play with it in basic. Basically, you draw with 256 numbered colors ("this is a line of color 72") and there is a table of which color to display for each number. The entries are full 24-bit color, and if you change them it immediately takes effect on the next screen refresh.

So if you pick a handful of color numbers and draw a gradient with them, and then cycle the color values for those, it looks funky. :)

they pulled a ton of similar tricks for the nes to get otherwise impossible parallax effects and vertical scrolling stuff. Switch out like half the sprite sheet when the frame or a line was half-rendered and crap like that.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Computer viking posted:

This reminded me that I used to occasionally have Xtacy running in a window which did some eye-wateringly garish palette animations:
http://web.archive.org/web/20000422141333/http://www.gweep.net/~jer/xtacy.html

Good times :cool:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Amiga games were usually 16 or 32 colors, but the Copper chip allowed you to change the palette while the screen was drawn. If you changed the palette slightly every few lines, you could achieve this kind of gradients, which made your game look a lot more colorful than was seemingly possible. I believe the image below only allocates two or three colors from the palette (clouds, sky, mountains).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The way sprites and character animation works on REAL microcomputers is so simple, to the user.

Atari choo-choo 4tw

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I freely admit that for the time, Shadow of the Beast pulled some impressive graphics even if the game itself wasn't.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's the best demo I've seen of palette shifting/color cycling, you can see the palette by clicking Options, and see how parts of it cycle to create the illusion of movement:

http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/

And a GDC talk to go with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcJ1Jvtef0

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

legooolas posted:

This reminded me that I used to occasionally have Xtacy running in a window which did some eye-wateringly garish palette animations:
http://web.archive.org/web/20000422141333/http://www.gweep.net/~jer/xtacy.html

Good times :cool:

That reminds me, I miss music visualizations. I know you can still run Milkdrop and stuff in standalone players, but there isn't a good way to do this for streaming music services like Spotify or Youtube Music on set Android TV boxes or Smart TVs.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Get one of the audio visualisers Techmoan shows on his channel, compatible with any device any os.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
With Winamp you could set a color to be the visualizer screen, so if you chose, say, black, then any black pixel on your screen contributed to the visual effects.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

That reminds me, I miss music visualizations. I know you can still run Milkdrop and stuff in standalone players, but there isn't a good way to do this for streaming music services like Spotify or Youtube Music on set Android TV boxes or Smart TVs.

I though about this also like last year. We have these amazing GPUs that could generate all kinds of stuff, but visualizers seem to have died out. Millennials killed another industry :(

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

My world for a PS1 CD player visualization effects add on for some streaming service or another.

That and the weird plasticy smell of an inflatable chair (pretty much failed technology) is the scent of 1998 to me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

credburn posted:

With Winamp you could set a color to be the visualizer screen, so if you chose, say, black, then any black pixel on your screen contributed to the visual effects.

Whipped the Llama's rear end too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I haven't stopped using winamp for 20+ years, I don't see why I'd stop now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Just wait until the llamas catch up to you.