Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Trabant posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bo2kwuj.mp4

Apparently it has no error detection built in so it will just go on like that until manually interrupted.

For the life of me I can't remember who, but there was a goon who had a video with that exact model of calculator and he did a video on it diving by zero and explained how it worked. I wanna say they even posted in this thread at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Remulak posted:

Everybody at Microsoft hated CE, and I’m sure it rankled them that it was a success for somebody else when they thought it was garbage. The Windows CE source is riddled (or was) with comments about how much it sucks.

This is the era where the only group that managed to ship a working upgraded PC OS was the NT team, which was a lot smaller and less ambitious about Great Ideas that were beloved elsewhere in the company.

Oh yeah, having used the business end of it (both the plain and Windows Mobile versions of Platform Builder) it definitely felt like nobody really cared. They did seem to occasionally actually care in terms of API though, they'd add interesting things now and then. The funniest thing to me was when they added a "get device unique ID" for doing licensing for apps/etc. and then some OEM (not HTC) implemented it to return all zeroes, so it was just useless for its intended purpose anyway. Of course, on top of that, they had another interesting API called the shimming engine that let you shim any API in the entire system, so it was difficult to actually "protect" apps anyway as anyone could do anything they wanted (except on devices where app security was turned on, where you'd need your app signed with the privileged key from MS or the network. But it was rare for a PocketPC smartphone to have those protections turned on).

I did once have to SIM unlock my phone (my HTC Universal) and I got a free tool online from some random website, and I followed the instructions:
1) use this simple tool on a host Windows machine to change the device's IMEI to this specified IMEI
2) run this second tool on-device
3) use the first simple tool to change the IMEI back to your own IMEI
When I got to the second step it displayed messages that made it pretty clear the "free" download had come from someone who was selling the unlocker and tying it to IMEI as a means of product security, but even the IMEI on that device was not locked down (and that wasn't even Windows CE's fault, the modem in that phone was a separate baseband attached by USB to the AP).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Aha, that’s great, like networks that lock down accesses to specific MACs.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ishikabibble posted:

For the life of me I can't remember who, but there was a goon who had a video with that exact model of calculator and he did a video on it diving by zero and explained how it worked. I wanna say they even posted in this thread at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJPPD-DfQ8

Pretty sure this is it.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

I love photos of people having fun in the past.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cyril Sneer posted:

I love photos of people having fun in the past.

All photos of people having fun are in the past.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
How do you explain this picture I drew of me and your mom having fun next week?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DoctorWhat posted:

How do you explain this picture I drew of me and your mom having fun next week?

That ain't a photo

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bet it works on a PS5.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/DrLindseyFitz/status/1774735721938481600?s=20

https://twitter.com/DarqueJacques/status/1774736718840619107?s=20

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Presumably ragtime music breaks out

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

in another of my failings, I had never considered the humble tampon as a way to get high.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

By popular demand posted:

in another of my failings, I had never considered the humble tampon as a way to get high.

Look at this scrub who never shoved a vodka soaked tampon up his bum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

In this economy?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

TotalLossBrain posted:

Presumably ragtime music breaks out

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

GreenNight posted:

I wanted to make a joke about having to fart into a breathalyzer (which is legal and your right), but realized that a breathalyzer would still work because it is about your lungs not your stomach anyway sir.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

SLOSifl posted:

I wanted to make a joke about having to fart into a breathalyzer (which is legal and your right), but realized that a breathalyzer would still work because it is about your lungs not your stomach anyway sir.

Just to remind everyone, if you have a Laryngectomy, you cannot use a breathalyzer. One of the few upsides to that medical procedure other than joining the cancer kazoo choir.

I Miss Snausages has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Apr 2, 2024

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure that's an orchestra.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hFoMkQCuqw

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

This is entertaining and all, but the vast majority of complaints about how this was built could be attributed to it being stored in a hot location for years, warping the plastic. He notes the rubber degradation is to be expected, but doesn't seem to apply the same logic elsewhere. It certainly looks like it wasn't built with an eye for perfection or anything, but I'd bet this wasn't as innately awful as is being claimed when you opened a new one in 1986 or whenever.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

George RR Fartin posted:

This is entertaining and all, but the vast majority of complaints about how this was built could be attributed to it being stored in a hot location for years, warping the plastic. He notes the rubber degradation is to be expected, but doesn't seem to apply the same logic elsewhere. It certainly looks like it wasn't built with an eye for perfection or anything, but I'd bet this wasn't as innately awful as is being claimed when you opened a new one in 1986 or whenever.

yeah it's whatever on that, but the clear red window part on grey plastic looks rad af.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

George RR Fartin posted:

The channel is all about restoring and working with old Soviet-era tech though. They give it kudos when it does work, and knock it when it doesn't, and the Soviet Union certainly had its fair share of Bad Products.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Oh yeah, i completely trust in his judgment of lovely plastic quality. It looks very much like re-used plastics that aren't blended well. The pieces of plastic remaining in the ventilation slots are also very indicative of bad process control, and you can even see the lines on the paper feed area being off by one line thickness because the halves or parts of the mold simply didn't line up properly. Many little details in the plastic don't line up properly.

There is also no excuse to hold in place a ridiculously expensive circuit board with one soft piece of polythene plastic.

I have had many eastern bloc devices, both cheap and expensive, and literally all of them had better plastic molding than this thing.
The only thing that comes close to the crap molding is the plastic box from my Belorussian "Souvenir" pocket radio.

Speaking of which - pocket radios are obsolete. Very much not failed, just obsolete. I was at a sports event holding a bog standard Sanyo "6 transistor" radio, listening to the crackle of an approaching thunderstorm to send people indoors in time when lightning would get too close, and a kid asked me what it was. I started explaining in very basic terms about lightning being electric, and radios being able to receive those electric impulses - but that wasn't what the kid was asking about. No, it was literally about what a pocket radio is. I only realized that later, and that i should've tuned it to some music...

This is the earlier mentioned Signal "Souvenir" pocket radio.

It comes in a little box that reminds me of cassette cases.

The extremely terrible earphones (dual mono) are permanently attached. It has medium wave and long wave. No volume control - the antenna is directional, if it's too loud you can just turn it away from the transmitter a bit.

The absolute weirdest thing is that they used a very expensive ceramic substrate for this lovely little radio, with a thick film design for resistors and capacitors. That's the sort of stuff you'd find in Loewe TVs in western europe.

Being from the eastern block, it comes with a user manual that includes the circuit diagram, even when the device would have been completely unrepairable because of its very special construction! And i doubt the ordinary person would've been able to acquire SMD parts in late 80s, early 90s eastern europe. It's a very basic TRF circuit without RF feedback. This doesn't matter - back in the day, the medium wave was filled with extremely strong 100-1000kW stations so a bit less sensitivity acceptable.
Note the size of the staple. It is a normal size staple, it's just that the booklet is very tiny.

It runs on 2 coin cells. It sadly has an issue with the tuning capacitor that makes it intermittent and crackly. I am hesitant to try and fix it, because it's a very small tuning cap and i've literally never seen one like that in all of my life - very rare in the west.

LimaBiker has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Apr 2, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That staple is starting to rust and ruin the paper. You should remove it before it eats through the entirety of the paper.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I did not realize that ducks were vulnerable to being replaced by machines.

https://twitter.com/BrookeGMcDonald/status/1776289798095053034

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Good.
Get those rapacious fascists!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dick Trauma posted:

Birds aren't real dot com

That includes ducks

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Ducks are not birds, they are fish like beavers.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Duck taste like steak, so they’re the cow of birds.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dick Trauma posted:

This is kind of all I want from robots though, little boxes on legs trundling around doing inscrutable tasks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Polaroid tries to make instant movies (and other horrible products). It does not go well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRfilvlLQRQ

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 13:06 on Apr 6, 2024

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Polaroid tries to make instant movies (and other horrible products). It does not go well.

It wasn't the worst idea, and iirc actually also originates from their technical products division. I wanna say I remember my dad even talking about using it when he worked for Boeing as a metallurgical failure analyst in the 80s/90s, for occasionally capturing stuff like mechanically testing.

Something that nobody who talks about the 'Polaroid story' ever really mentions was how insanely massive they were in basically every professional industry. To the point that Polaroid as a consumer format probably barely even made a blip on the radar in terms of their overall revenue. Their real big moneymaker was in peel-apart instant film.
Professional studio photographers all used it to preview exposure settings and make sure their lighting/etc setups were correct, and it was basically universal in technical fields. Before the advent of actually effect digital imaging equipment, the way you captured and printed something like an oscilloscope/SEM/regular optical microscope image, was literally to shove a piece of peel-apart instant film in front of a CRT or ground glass and just expose it like that. You could do it with normal film too, but peel-apart instant film was honestly good enough that the added complexity of needing to send it off to be developed just wasn't worth the hassle.

The big piece of glass at the bottom was for 4x5 Graflok backs. You'd get your image the normal way through the eyepieces and then flip a switch to divert the image to the ground glass, and then 'photograph' it there.

Or like on this SEM control panel, that's a regular Polaroid 545 back on the right, and at the base of that chimney-thing is a CRT.

And before you ask, yes I also think people always tell the Kodak story wrong too :lofty:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's "the Kodak story"?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Ducks are not birds, they are fish like beavers.

No such thing as a bird

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Usually, it's told as a story to warn companies to be vigilant about new technology muscling in on their primary market. I don't know what ishikabibbles take on it is, ofc.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Arivia posted:

That Kodak went bust because they 'let digital take them by surprise' or whatever, when the reality is much more complicated than that.

Kodak was one of the early pioneers of digital photography even, and all of the early serious digital cameras were designed and sold by Kodak, based around Nikon or Canon SLR film camera bodies. Like they were so incredibly competitive in digital photography, even as late as 2006, Leica, one of the high end photography brands, still opted to use a Kodak CCD in the first digital Leica M camera. They also did tons of work in other areas too like scanner technology, they helped developed the Photo CD standard defined in the Beige Book, etc etc...

There were plenty of mistakes they made along the way, but the biggest thing that led to their bankruptcy was just that Kodak as a company was a lumbering behemoth of a megacorp and they had their primary market fall out from under them in the span of a few years. Even in hindsight, that's an incredibly difficult situation to maneuver around.

I mentioned it because that's basically what happened with Polaroid too :v:

There totally were ways they could have recovered, like how Fujifilm managed to survive the transition, but those all basically amounted to a massive gamble in both diversifying into other related areas of manufacturing and moving away from your original core market. Fuji is still around as a photography company, but their photography part (including Instax) makes up single digit percents of their overall revenue, with the bulk being made up by stuff like specialty manufacturing, cosmetics, etc.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Dick Trauma posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p69lEMn0I8k&t=90s

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Cool I've never heard of that. I have two polaroid cameras, the SX-70 that's in need of some repairs and a cheaper plastic model that still works fine.

I tried the early Impossible films and they were not great. I should try out their current offerings some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m currently dabbling in instant photography with my Instax, and it’s fun, but it’s very particular, especially with lighting. I wanted to get into Polaroid but with the costs of film and finding a camera that either still works or is worth buying new, Instax is far more accessible.

I totally get how instant photography went from pretty ubiquitous to a niche hobby with the rise of digital, having to cope with “sometimes film images will be less than perfect and that’s life!” is something I don’t see squaring with the culture. There are printers that print Instax photos from your phone and that’s a workaround - but you notice the quality difference pretty quickly, and even those still have their quirks.

Anyway this is where everyone prevents me from spending a $smokingischeaper amount on more filmpacks…