Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
Palm pilots paved the way for the Treo phones which were the closest thing to a smart phone you could get in the early 2k's. I loved mine and got both a good phone and a great PDA out of it. It was a bit chunky and limited to whatever cheap rear end SD card you could find for it. Still a pretty beefy little decide for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

Ka0 posted:

I was exited when the first digital Mavica was released. It was around the time I was starting to to work so I had a bit of money for my stupid crap. I got one of these thinking the days of photomats were over for good.

:smith:

I've still got one of these kicking around at work. We used them to replace the old Polaroids to take photos of poorly loaded trailers that would come into work. It still works great but the load times to get pictures off of it are glacial at best.

I have every one of my old cell phones in a box somewhere. My Nokia 6120, which I got right when it came out in '98 or so is in there. If I still had a charger I'd bet it would fire right up. There's also a Treo 650 in there which is shockingly modern, if only a bit huge by today's standards. Even my cutting edge andriod phone doesn't have classic console emulators like the old palm OS ones.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

Fozaldo posted:

Another favorite of mine is Nixie Tubes

I worked for a Kellogg's production plant in the late 90's and a lot of the control panels for the machinery still had functional nixie tubes on them. They were redundant after they switched everything to digital screens, but they were still there working as well as they ever had. Looked cool as hell too.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

Astrobastard posted:

As for Minidisc players, I loved mine. I had this badboy -

Spending hours manually entering the song/band names while you ripped from a CD was *awesome*

I had and used the silver version of that exact player for 10 years. It was recently stolen from me. Who would have wanted it enough to steal it is a mystery to me. I had a ton of discs that I had made so long ago that it was a nostalgia trip to fire it up and see what I was listening to a decade ago. It was perfect for recording voice too.

As far as hard drive based mp3 players I hope they don't get axed any time soon. Its great having most of my collection available on the go and solid state players with 160+ gigs of storage seem a long way off. The iPod classic is just about perfect and I'm glad they've left it alone for so long.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
The best thing for locking your keys in your car is having a friend who is a locksmith. I lost $5 when I bet him he couldn't get into my car in under a minute. He got in. Still couldn't start it though

That said, I wish I had a keypad or a secret button that activates the lock solenoid. Then again the newer cars with the NFC keyfob and button system is pretty bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006

Sargs posted:

Yes, about half the bloody customer base of my employer's mobile tracking and lone worker protection product (we started out doing vehicle tracking with dedicated units and offered mobile as a sideline). We have this weird thing where some of the older platforms like Symbian and BlackBerry will outperform the newer ones in terms of battery life. Android was painful to develop and we have to do lots of clever things like switching off GPS when the local wifi ids aren't changing just to get the battery life to something acceptable. On BlackBerry or old Nokia smartphones, you could bang away with GPS all the time and still get eight hours out of the battery, easy.

Just as well; like I said, customers seem to have religious objections to lighter socket chargers and cradles.

I hope battery life for smartphones is gonna be a laughable memory of times past soon. The car charger cant even keep up with it when I'm using it for navigation. With that phone I charge it every second im in the car, or near an outlet or it's plugged into a usb power pack. It's pitiful really.