Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Rare Collectable posted:

The Nokia N-Gage was one of the first attempts to combine a cell with mobile gaming. It was also a spectacular failure. Does anyone know anyone who bought one of these? Seen one in the wild? I doubt it. You had to hold them sideways and speak into the rim to use it like a phone and they were apparently just awkward all around.

A friend of mine had the first generation "Taco Phone" model, it was terrible in every aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Yes. Also I nominate the CRTC as a failed and obsolete technology.

But now you can get 6 whole gigs for only 60 bucks a month*

*doesn't include any minutes, texting, voicemail or call display.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

ZanderZ posted:

Wow. Never saw a picture of it in someone's hands. Why is this the 2nd Sony handheld you have to pinch between your fingers in order to use the analog stick(s)?

I'm pretty sure thats a picture of the only person who bought one.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

There's the Casio DG-20. Kind of a mix between a guitar and a synth and a MIDI controller. I've always wanted one but can never justify buying the odd ones on ebay.

A couple years back Line 6 (I think) came out with an emulated guitar, it had real strings and frets but the actual sound was created by software and it used something that looked like a cat5 ethernet cable instead of a patch cord, it only worked with like 1 or 2 proprietary amps and there was only one model of guitar.

Supposedly it could emulate the sound of almost any amp/guitar combo.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't know what's worse, the fake plastic autoharp or the absolutely depressing people praising it.

Dear god, I have been searching for the name of that thing for years, back in grade school my music teacher brought one in and we thought it was the coolest thing ever.

This was like in 3rd grade

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

BigHustle posted:

I have one of these. It is an overly complicated piece of poo poo meant to replace the Omnichord, which is a much better electronic autoharp.

I looked up the new models and apparently they still use those cartridges that look like they belong in a late 70s video game system.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Rotary Speakers are pretty cool looking on the inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mIQ7umFocQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkgQ6jU-4G4

Cool Web Paige has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Jan 5, 2014

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Has this been posted?

I had one, it still seems like some kind of sorcery. You'd type in phone numbers and reminders into a program and then just hold the watch up where it could see the screen(in any orientation!!) and it would flash barcodes and program it. Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Pzxmq-JLM

It broke :[

I just looked it up, that's actually a really impressive piece of technology when you consider when it came out.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Am I the only person who got stuck with a computer running Geoworks in the early 90s?

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

I inherited one of these from my grandmother years ago, it is a tiny black and white projection TV, the image quality was not great but definitely watchable.

When I used to do security I'd bring it with me every night with a set of rechargeable batteries. I used it right up until all the channels went digital and rendered it completely obsolete.

:smith:

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

My dad had one of those he used at work. Picture wasn't bad, but I remember it being a battery hog.

I'd usually go through 2 sets of 4 AA batteries in a shift. So I had a bunch of rechargeable NIMH batteries I'd use. Or one set of those really drat expensive Duracell lithium AAs.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Screw anti-radiation filters. I grew up playing Fallout, and I'd like to think all that radiation absorbed from gigantic CRTs I spent my childhood staring at is going to someday unlock some kick rear end vision perks. Night vision? Perception bonuses? Eye lasers? Retinal cancer? Who knows!

In The late 90s and Early 2000s those stupid anti radiation stickers you put on your cellphone were EVERYWHERE.

anti radiation devices were a big fad

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

So Gizmodo posted a somewhat tongue in cheek article about Sony's new high capacity magnetic tape, cue half my friends list earnestly posting about how cassette tapes are coming back.

:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Except this wasn't the case with their early computers at all, and wasn't the case with the iPod, either. Do you know what feature it had that the other MP3 players didn't?

It was actually loving usable.

I dislike Apple for a lot of reasons, but trying to pretend that the iPod was them leveraging their brand to sell an inferior product is dumb as hell given that "their brand" as you're describing it only really exists now because of the iPod and iPhone.

Before the iPod apple was punchline in the tech world after the iMac hype died down.

They succeeded in spite of their brand.