Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Pope Mobile posted:

I just thought of another one: The Zune. I knew I shouldn't have gotten one after my dad did (given his tracked record) but I loved mine. It was a great music player, and I really liked the market. I was sad when it got water damaged :(

My brother has one that was used drat constantly for 5 years and it's still chugging along. I think the service still exists. I think I'd use it of I had a compatible device (15 bucks a month to listen to anything I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

56k posted:

If this thing still exists and works, I am convinced this is how my grandma uses the internet.

This is an excellent username + post combination.

I'm still rocking 2 tube "hd" TVs that both only go up to 1080i. The widescreen one that I recently acquired from my parents used to look pretty good, but the picture is starting to ghost (its pretty damned old). My 7 year old 4:3 TV still looks great (you have to letterbox it to use 1080i, but the Wii looks excellent in progressive scan.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Bonzo posted:

Sales departments live and die by fax machines in any place I've ever worked.
Essentially every US pharmacy receives faxed prescriptions and sends faxed refill requests to doctors. Although sometimes the refill requests are sent via an electronic fax directly from the pharmacy computer. E-prescriptions are becoming more common though.

I'm really liking this thread.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Alhazred posted:

I thought that cheques were an obsolete technology.

They they are an obsolete technology that helps one with businesses with obsolete technology.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Vorpal Cat posted:

The only reason I have ever seen one of these is because ironically I actually do have an uncle who works for Nintendo(sales rep), so he always has a ton of merchandise around his house.

I think this is the first believable Nintendo uncle story on the Internet.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

cobalt impurity posted:

But coffee makers have had built-in timers for at least 20 years. Just put it on your side table and keep an empty mug in the drawer.

I'm sure you can get a single cup coffee maker that would do this. It seems like a lot of the cheaper drip coffee machine have this feature.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

I have an aluminum computer desk that I still use today, but it's a beast. I actually used it as a TV stand for my 100 pound hd CRT for the longest time.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

wipeout posted:

What have the Romans ever done for us?
Taught us the danger of lead pipes.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

euphronius posted:

I had this awesome stereo in college

It was such a beast. It was loud as loving hell and held 51 CDs. You could program the CDs titles into the thing too and it would remember! And you could program play lists and poo poo. (And it was easy to move.) Eventually the CD changer carousel died. Ithink I can still remember that the three good Metallica albums were 19, 20, 21. I had Dave Matthews Under the Table and Dreaming number 1 for seduction purposes.

The best stereo I ever had. Now I listen to a loving iphone with headphones.

I had a Sanyo version of this type of stereo with a 3 disc changer (and dual tape decks, "surround sound" and a digital radio tuner). It really sounded excellent. I used it as speakers for my Xbox for the longest time after the cd player went out.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Maneki Neko posted:

Aiwa steroes seemed to pretty much be standard issue for late 90s dorm rooms. I'm not sure I've seen anything made by Aiwa in a while, and their US web site doesn't seem to load.
You're right, I couldn't remember the brand, it was an Aiwa.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

My iphone battery solution was to go to monoprice.com and buy a poo poo load of their iphone charging cables and a couple car chargers (I spent about 20 bucks which would have bought me about one non-apple branded charger at a store). During an average work day my phone keeps its charge with no problem, but if I forget to charge it or use it heavily I've got a cable to connect to a computer/car cigarette lighter just in case.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

I used to have one of these. I kind of wish I had one now. I could tape my protocols to the wall (I take notes when I notice something mid experiment or more likely gently caress something up) and have excess counter space.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Acting like a keyboard rather than spitting out a text file is so cool. How big was the character limit?

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

kastein posted:

I had to learn touch typing in middle school and hated it. I saw no point and almost immediately forgot all about it.

Then I got on IRC in high school and a month later was typing at 100+ wpm :smug:

I learned how to type in keyboarding class, but I learned how to type fast on ICQ ("UH OH!" A cash register at a local gas station uses that sound for something and it cracks me up).

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Hypnolobster posted:

Hah! My local gas station uses that sound too (uh, do you live in NE Ohio?), and I use it for my text alert sound.

e: I think that in 5 years of college I only took one test that involved a computer over a Scantron/bubble sheet.

I'm in central AR. The chain that had the ICQ cash register was called Doublebee's. I haven't been in awhile since they stopped being open at really early hours.

When I was in college in the early 2000's, we used scantrons like they were going out of style. They made us buy them at the campus bookstore or convenience stores rather than providing them.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

I wonder if anyone has made the correct answers to a test come out as a design. Young me would have been freaked out if a perfectly answered two column scantron looked like a Christmas tree or a person with a big butt or something.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

This is cool. I wonder if they just get all of the erased answer data for the district and do a Grubb's outlier test or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

I've been in school forever (I'm 31 years old). When I was in the class part of grad school a few years ago, it was the first time I ever saw someone take notes with a laptop(/gently caress off online during class). I guess I never moved past writing on PowerPoint printouts (which was way better than traditional note taking).