Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Humphreys posted:

A guy at work is going bananas about this new coffee machine he is getting for his desk. All he tells me is that it's a 'Turkish Coffee Maker' as in the type of coffee and what it makes is really strong. I wonder if he is a bit too into it and the fact that it's a Beko (a brand who manufactures their appliances in Turkey) and that it just makes normal coffee as strong as you want and the turkish part has nothing to do with the process.

Beko are a Turkish company, they use that name for goods they sell in English speaking markets as their Turkish name (Arçelik) has the potential for misuse. The Turkish part has a lot to do with the style of coffee and your guy at work sounds like an idiot. For starters Turkish coffee uses a finer ground than any other method, so he'll either need a decent grinder, a coffee shop that will grind some beans super fine for him or to buy preground which I think I've seen on the shelves in the USA. You fill the kettle with the right amount of coffee grounds and one espresso cup full of water per coffee you're making. All the machine does is heat it to boiling and turns off after a preprogrammed amount of time. You then carefully pour the contents out into each cup, making sure you get a good crema on the top of each cup. It is strong espresso style however the grounds are still in the bottom of the cup - you drink until you start getting them in your mouth. Personally I hate the style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Boiled Water posted:

I thought turkey was more tea country

Tea is ubiquitous but Turkish coffee is very much its own tradition. Using the grounds for fortune telling is still common although more out of fun than any sincere belief, at least in the western cities.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I take it the c‐with‐cedilla makes a sound like “s”?

'Ch' so when pronounced correctly there's no issue, but the first time I came to the country as an idiot British teenager seeing what I thought was 'arselick' splashed over all the white goods was enough to make me lol. Beko probably played better with focus groups sounding vaguely Scandinavian or German.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Nocheez posted:

That seems silly, don't those have a cover that keeps all dust and damage off it? Did I just figure it out, that it cleans/repairs the outer case?

They were like floppy discs in that they had a window in the protective shell to expose the media

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

?? UHD Blu-Ray discs can store over 100GB of data, which is needed for the highest quality 4K films. What you're downloading will almost certainly be compressed to gently caress.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Trabant posted:

Although doing this in actual walnut burl would be eye-wateringly, devastatingly expensive.

just buy a fractal north case, they have real walnut front panels that don't inhibit the cooling requirements of modern hardware

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Would it kill Microsoft or Google to just stick to one line of products keeping the same names and functionality and improve upon them iteratively?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

How do you explain this picture I drew of me and your mom having fun next week?

That ain't a photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's wrong with single-use appliances? Do you make coffee in a cauldron? Do you grind pepper with karate chops? Do you spread butter with a table knife?

I imagine most people are drinking coffee, grinding pepper and spreading butter a whole lot more than misting their popcorn with melted butter