Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Gaze and weep at the greatest instrument that never was :smith:

You can actually pick these up for pretty cheap on Ebay. I love the bastards but as far as I know, there isn't really much in the way of digital midi controller guitars anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

We used to have a TV show or two in England that'd do it over the opening credits;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PLXq3UZZls&t=440s

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Plus, as already stated, they're the only ones who are allowed in standard tests so they have a monopoly.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That'd actually pretty rad for some art collage project or something.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I don't think they'll ever really properly phase out 'Stuff that you can put data on and carry around to put into other devices/machines'. The horrific Technopocolyptical future where we're all hardwired to the Hot-Web and surfing data streams in our minds is all well and good till you want to take your mind-warp enhanced copy of Robocop 2 to your aunts who hasn't got wireless in.

Plus isn't 'sneakernet' basically always going to be faster(sortof), at least to some extent? You can only shove data down a line so fast, whereas you can basically make storage devices infinitely huge forever (sortof).

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

I was born in Russia, and I never experienced this. Cash is definitely very popular, hardly anyone pays with a card, but I never saw any retailer reluctant to make change. Although, when I was in the Caucasus a few years ago, if you are owed a very small amount of change, (under 5 roubles) you get matches or some candy or something instead.

I once got a giant box of matches when a store didn't have any bills under a hundred. There was probably a years' worth in the box, considering we don't even use matches that much.

Hereby proposing we replace the penny with candy and matches.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Boxman posted:

One of the things that absolutely amazes me is that all our poo poo works. And I'm not even talking about old poo poo, I'm thinking of newer, sleeker poo poo. Like, airplanes don't burst into flames or slam into each other on the ground all the time. I get television beamed to my house from outer loving space but if I move the dish a few inches to the right it's all static.

Then I look at the poo poo we used to have - like old electrical wiring - and it's really astounding that it worked well enough that we didn't all electrocute ourselves and abandon the whole idea of "building-wide wiring."

Yeah I'm pretty much in constant awe that I can do magic on a daily basis without everything just burning to the ground. For Fun Times; Look up all the components that make up your simplest electronic gadget, then look up how those were invented and just start freaking out at the millions of huge leaps in technology each tiny part required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There's the Casio DG-20. Kind of a mix between a guitar and a synth and a MIDI controller. I've always wanted one but can never justify buying the odd ones on ebay.