Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brain739
Aug 16, 2007

fuck on the floor and break shit

rockcity posted:

I'm getting neck pain just looking at it. We owned one and I couldn't play that thing for more than like 15 minutes without getting the worst neck cramps, no matter how I adjusted the stand or how I was sitting/laying.

the only way i ever managed to play this without fusing my entire spinal column was by placing it on the floor, stand removed, and laying facedown on it like a stupid sweaty corpse. I'll admit to liking this system and my tearful disappointment at the lack of cool games, but i didn't like it enough to keep from selling it at a garage sale a few years later.

redmercer posted:

Secondly, look at this thing:

There's an hour of video on there, per side. Considering that disc is supposed to be physically read with a stylus, and that disc rotates at 450 RPM (500 for PAL) and I for one consider it a minor miracle that the things even worked to begin with.

I came to this thread specifically because i knew someone would post this and i couldn't remember what they were called for the life of me. To anyone that grew up with these, if you ever have to explain what they were to someone that never used them, good luck trying to convince them you're not just talking about laserdiscs. i have had exactly zero success with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System

cool-ish idea and i bought into it hard. i had a badass underwater camera that took this film and i still have several of the crappy photos is took. one of the coolest things about it was that you could take out a roll of film halfway through using it and put in another if you needed to use a different iso speed or wanted to switch to black and white or something and it wouldn't ruin your film. however, anyone that was that interested in those features probably wasn't that into the rather basic cameras that took this film. still, i loved that it had built-in frame selectors so you could take panoramic, large frame, and standard sized pictures.

i miss you, kodak advantix.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brain739
Aug 16, 2007

Sat radio had to have some level of popularity based on just how lovely terrestrial radio is. I'd love to add regular radio into the list of doomed technologies, but I think there will always be a place for mediocre top 40 crap and the idea of paying for satellite radio to hear a Nicky Minaj song is just horrible. I haven't even used my iPod since better cell data coverage made Pandora a possibility almost everywhere I ever go.

Any other radio goons can attest to how much ancient technology is still currently in-use in mid-powered radio stations, including MiniDisc, 8-track, Arrakis, and more. I worked at a radio station for 7 years that still had solid state tube amps in use and a computer in reception that ran on Windows '98.

brain739
Aug 16, 2007

bigtom posted:

For high powered applications (50kw & above), tube transmitters are better than their solid state counterparts - plus, on AM, tube transmitters tend to sound better and can take lightning hits that would blow out solid state units.

Thank you for clarifying my statement, apparently i posted in mid-edit.

Until a certain date in the recent past, our station was almost fully-manual. Just about the only thing the board ops didn't have to do was sing the songs ourselves.