Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Royal W posted:

I sprung $250 for a Minidisk player in 2001-02. It was badass because it came with a remote!

the downside was that I had to record to the MDs like the cassettes of old, playing the whole CD with the MD player on record; then adding the track breaks after the fact! :v:

:hf: MD bro. I bought a state-of-the-art high-end Sony MZ-R909 in high-school because I wanted to be different. Thought it was pretty cool, but then realized how dumb it was to be dubbing music onto MDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Plus, as already stated, they're the only ones who are allowed in standard tests so they have a monopoly.

They just can't have a CAS on-board, so I think the up-to the 86 plus a few Casio/HP models are allowed. The big things the 89/92 can do is symbolic math out-of-the-box, the lower models can't (and weren't designed for that market anyway). The TI-92(+) also looks 90s as gently caress with its landscape form-factor and QWERTY keyboard.

Technically the TI-83 is obsolete, replaced by the TI-83+ with its ~~Flash~~ memory. I was a giant calculator nerd back in middle school and drooled over my buddy who got a TI-83+ Silver Edition with its 1.5MB of memory. I started with TI-BASIC on them, and then taught myself Z80 assembly to make games that would actually run *well*.

Then TI beat the line with an ugly bat and put out the 84 and the 89 Titanium. They do pander a lot to educators, and some textbooks will feature screencaps/button-presses for only TI calculators. You can buy a CBL for them also to use in physics or chemistry labs, which is basically data acquisition for your calculator. Pretty sure the guts are still a Z80 though. (89s are 68ks)

I've grown to love the HP59G more than my 89 at this point, and I still have a 86 and my original 83+ around the house. They're all excellent, bullet-proof calculators.

movax has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Jul 18, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mister Snips posted:

Like every rational human being i loving abhor lovely trackpads and edge scrolling, but computers don't really come with bad trackpads anymore (unless you buy the $400 acer walmart special) that are okay and have multitouch.

And mac trackpads are probably the best imput method that has been invented :colbert:

I would cry with happiness for a Thinkpad sporting a glass trackpad like the Macs do. I own a MBP personally, and use a X220 at work, and my biggest beef with the X220 is the lovely trackpad.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Zombie Rasputin posted:

How's support for the magic trackpad on non-osx OSes? I'd say give that a try.

For content:
The HP Jornada 720 (Or 'Handheld PCs' in general)

I wanted one so bad when I was in middle school. I would always go play with them in Best Buy and dream about one day having the money to afford such a small computer. Years later I got my first job and bought one off ebay for ~$200. This is still pre-smartphone proliferation, btw. I installed doom, but the screen ghosting made it unplayable, so I used it as the most awkward mp3 player ever. Also, if you let the battery die, it would resort to its' backup battery (a CR2032) to keep its' memory. Leave it dead for too long and you'd have a completely factory resetted device and a bunch of warnings about your dead backup battery. It's still sitting in my room.

Haha, gently caress yeah dude! I had something similar from my uncle, a Cassiopeia A-11. 44MHz Hitachi SH-3, Windows CE 1.0. I felt like the coolest kid ever, I had a motherfucking Pocket PC. I mostly played missile command on it with a stylus.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm really excited that other people had MiniDiscs too! I thought I would be a :pcgaming: rebel :pcgaming: and get a MD player instead of a CD player.

Ended up with a MZ-R909 and had a great time dubbing my own MDs. I waited in vain for a MD burner/recorder to show up :(

I think there was one VAIO desktop model with a MD drive.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

buttopticor posted:

Heck, this guy tried building the simplest toaster from scratch. It turns out it's really tough to make most of the components.

All the basic concepts are out there in the public domain, but for certain devices, the knowledge to successfully make them is holed up in a few dudes (or a vault) at a company. It's kind scary; yeah, the knowledge to "make" an IC is out there, but the knowledge to turn schematics + raw material into a high-performance relatively cheap processor is constrained to probably a few hundred people and companies.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

:eng101: CompactFlash cards are actually still used regularly by professional photographers and media companies due to their much higher transfer speed compared to SD cards, as well as general durability and longevity. For instance, the exposed connection area on SD cards is prone to getting dirty or damaged with extensive use, whereas the connection on a CF card is recessed.

CF can be cheap for integration with x86 hardware because it's interface is parallel / mostly compatible with IDE/ATA as well. Doesn't require a high-speed SerDes or anything like SATA based devices would. FWIW, there's a CFast standard that is basically the CF form-factor, but uses SATA instead.

Then again, SD can be very cheap to interface with as well, thanks to its SPI interface and the ubiquity of SPI controllers on most microcontrollers.

DrBouvenstein posted:

But that trend is finally starting to break. I just got done a training session for a anesthesia machine that uses RJ-45 ports to update software, and has USB ports on the back that you can connect a flash drive to to download error and alarm logs. It still has the RS-232 ports for backwards compatibility and such, but I'll never have to use them, thank God.

Sometimes the problem is the USB<->Serial adapter is using a lovely chipset. Other times, the voltage levels / level shifters don't function within spec; old RS-232 stuff expected +/- 12V :downs:

I've had great luck with FTDI-based USB to Serial converters. Serial ports (UARTs) are super cheap to implement on silicon, simple for software and at minimum only need 2 pins, so they'll stick around for awhile yet.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Back at school, we defeated the (admittedly) simple face recognition lock on a buddy's Asus laptop by holding a picture of him up to the camera :haw:

Retinal scans are cool though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Gromit posted:

I remember hearing speech out of the old Apple II in games like Sea Dragon, Horizon V and Tumble-Bugs. Surely that only had a lovely little beepy speaker too?

\/ Yeah, apparently I'm Hitler or something. Sorry.

Wow you made someone mad. Looks like someone already queued up a fix for your title though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

I had one of those gamepads, the "arcade stick" you were supposed to screw into the D-pad broke within a few hours.

:smith::hf::smith: broken stick buddy

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

A lot of Nokia phones from this age (and a bit older) are still in regular use. Working in (well, in the vicinity of) heavy industry I see a lot of people using them at work, probably due to superior microphones/speakers and reception compared to modern phones and, of course, the fact that if you break one you can probably replace it for free.

That and its lack of camera makes it a good option for industry!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Axeman Jim posted:

And those stop-gap diesel trains? Those were the Intercity 125, probably the greatest modern train this country has ever produced, expected to have a useful life of 50 years or more.

Oh my god I think that was one of my Brio trains as a kid! :neckbeard:

And seriously British trainchat owns, such a trainwreck of acquisitions bungles and terrible results that challenge the DoD :allears:

movax has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Jul 2, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I kinda miss those days a bit. fserves, XDCCs, rewards of voice or half-op status if you really contributed.

I remember SysReset and UPP being somewhat popular scripts for mIRC also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

The other weekend I was in Goodwill and spied a couple of N64 controllers in decent shape. Not fantastic, but about as good as one can expect for 14-20 year old controllers. I bought them, and took them apart to clean them.

Here's part of the reason the analog sticks on N64 went so bad:

Ah yes, the 3 vs. 1 rowing mini-game from Mario Party 1.