Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Wasn't the MD stupidly popular in Japan?

Oh my yes, one of my friends was still using MDs up to last year. Home PC ownership in Japan has always been fairly low compared to Europe and the US, which led to very late adoption of MP3 players. It's also why Walkman MP3 players have had a record function.

Also probably for similar reasons, first time job seekers in Japan are still required to produce a hand-written resume. That and they might believe in graphology :eng99:

RillAkBea has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Jul 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kalos posted:

With Google having so many different services that all play off each other or literally everything integrating with Facebook, I wouldn't be surprised if some company's kicking around the idea of bringing this sort of thing back.

Well we do still have all those toolbars that random freewares want you to install. The ones people usually install because they assume they're somehow necessary to run whatever they're installing.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pilsner posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Asia (or more specifically China).

Japan. Cash is pretty much the normal everyday method of payment. Debit cards aren't even available from all banks and even if they are available you have to apply specifically. This is encouraged by the low rate of street crimes. I once saw an old lady get a seriously obscene stack of bills from an ATM. Back in England if you did that and got mugged I think even the police would tell you it was your own fault, but nope, no effort to even try to be discreet.

And oh dear god the bills. I'm not an environmentalist or anything but the only way they could waste more paper is if they found a way to make it into a viable food-source. You get paper bills for almost everything, in fact my mobile provider went paper-free for a while then went back because apparently people want stacks of bills in their house. You want to get online banking? Last I checked you have to go into the bank and fill out a piece of paper for that too.