Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Oh man I had one of those for years, until someone bumped the door closed while the computer was running and I didn't notice it and went to play a game. It overheated, started making those great crazy polygon things you get when your graphics card's transistors are freaking out and returning errors, and then promptly shut down.

I took the door completely off the desk with a screwdriver after that.

Yeah, mine doesn't have a door but that space for the PC tower doesn't exactly promote great ventilation. So I just run my PC with the side panels off, and also to make plugging and unplugging drives a bit easier.

But hey it was a free desk and it has wheels, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Bonzo posted:

Ahh the old knob and tube wiring. I live in an older part of Cambridge Ontario and they are quit common. Most of the houses with them are being updated now as gramma and granpa move out and new families move in.

If you want to run central air or be able to have the TV on while you run the hairdryer you'll need to upgrade your electrical system. The house I live in now was built in 1920 and just had the electrical updated before I moved in a few years ago.

These also used aluminium wiring I believe.

If aluminum wiring was used, that means the electrical system was worked on in the 1960's-70's. Hopefully all the aluminum wiring was replaced with copper or you could have a fire hazard on your hands.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Dick Trauma posted:

In the old days if you didn't have room on the system board to add RAM you could get a memory expansion card. This particular beast packs a whopping 4 MEGABYTES so those Quattro spreadsheets should fly!

4 MB of RAM... over the ISA bus. I dunno, maybe useful on a 286?

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

0toShifty posted:

Yep, I have one of those in my scary fuse box. They're probably not supposed to be 20A fuses, I don't know what they are supposed to be. That wire is 14 gauge, so it should probably be fused for 15A.

Only 4 circuits? Do you live in a cracker jack box?

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Killer robot posted:

Also one of those old treadle type sewing machines, very similar to this one:

Oh my god we used to have one of these for the longest time! It was in really bad shape though, so much so that this picture is the first time I've seen what one is supposed to look like. It was one of those things that someone always had a plan to restore, but never got around to it and so it was given from one family member to another and continued to deteriorate until finally it was thrown away.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Inspector_71 posted:

One of our customers uses one of these (minus actual machine) as a computer desk, and whenever I'm over there to fix something I always end up working the pedal the entire time, just spinning that flywheel.

That's pretty much what I did when I was little. Could do that for hours and never grow bored with it. The wooden top was destroyed, but the cast iron frame was still in great condition.

And it squeaked every time it rotated.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Farecoal posted:

What's touch-tone dialing :shobon:?

Ah yes, my history teacher taught me what it was.

To understand touch tone dialing, first we must go way back to the early days of the telephone. Back then telephones were connected via wires to a centralized wired network maintained and operated by the telephone company. Back then you would have had to interact with actual humans to have your calls placed, a very tiresome and tedious process.

Well as technology progressed, phone numbers became the norm, and telephones with numbers appeared on them. You could now call a person simply by dialing a unique communications code that they possessed. But older phones without this feature were still the norm, and so these new phones worked by pulse dialing. The system was set up so that owners of older phones without numbers could quickly push the handset cradle down in rapid succession to signal to the phone company that they were dialing a number. To dial, say the number 5, you'd quickly push the handset cradle five times.

In the 1960's the system that you call touch tone was first implemented. It used specific tones to represent numbers, and allowed for faster dialing, automatic dialing, and even the transfer of binary data. This method using tones to represent numbers is what allowed the internet to initially take off. Even today the touch tone system is still used by automated phone tree systems to redirect your call to another phone tree, which then redirects your call to another phone tree, before eventually you are connected with a disinterested customer service representative whose only goal is to make you go away as fast as possible while giving you the illusion of caring and support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Impact Damage posted:

I've always had a soft spot for the Minolta RD-175:

Cost a mere $10,000 in 1995 and boasted a resolution of 1.75 megapixels. In order to achieve a full color image, light was split with a prism into three different sensors (two for green and one that was split across red and blue) and then recombined for a color image.

Wow, digital cameras are older then I thought! My first was a Kodak DC 3200 bought in 2000.