Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
The cool thing about laserdisc is that, up until the dvd release that contained the original theatrical versions, the laserdisc versions of the original star wars trilogy were regarded as the best. I'm sure true star wars fans have some argument that it's still the best.

Original content: for me, it's film cameras. It wasn't that film didn't get good results. I really don't want to start a film vs. digital war here, but it wasn't until recently that digital cameras really matched the capability of a good 35mm camera, and digital is still miles away from matching medium format film. Of course the ease of use of digital is awesome, plus the fact that you don't have to use a scanner to get pictures onto a computer. But I like film and I still have a Canon EOS 500 and an Olympus OMG that I still regularly shoot film with. It has a lot of charm as a hobby, but I certainly wouldn't want to shoot everything that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
I love that genesis tower pic. The sad thing is it's not far off from being functional. I think all you'd need to do is take out the cleaning adapter and whatever that thing is on top of the 32x and it would work.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

It's just impossible to get film processed anymore. :(

Tell me about it. I shoot a lot of black and white film in my cameras and I have to send it off to get it developed. Quite a few walgreens around here actually have real photo labs but they can only do C-41.

I remember the first time I saw a digital camera. I don't remember the exact year but it was sometime in the 97-99 range. Certainly no later than 99. The technology/computer teacher at my school had one and it totally blew my mind. You mean I can see what the picture looks like instantly? MIND BLOWN. It did have a screen on the back but it was about the size of a postage stamp. I believe it was a sony but I don't know anything else about the model. I thought the pictures were great at the time (on whatever awful blurry 800x600 crt we saw them on) but I'm sure they really looked horrible.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have that trilogy. I bought an LD player in the early 90s and joined the Columbia House Laserdisc Club and that was my "introductory three disc" deal. The LD player (made by Radio Shack) still works as good as new. I also have an industrial model Pioneer player.

I don't think I've ever actually watched a real movie on laserdisc, but as Red_October_7000 mentions I did use them a lot in middle and high school. You'd watch a clip and then answer questions by scanning barcodes with a scanner on the remote and it would play clips based on what you answered. The one I most distinctly remember is "Voyage of the Mimi" which apparently had a young Ben Affleck in it. I think there was some other awful video series about biology or something too.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Stuporstar posted:

Too many boring-rear end phones, not enough strange post-90s technology.

Here, have some Zeiss Projectors.

This one's a Mark IV. I remember it from my city's Planetarium as a kid. When I was six, I called it the "giant ant." Sitting in the dark, I watched that thing's shadow move more than the stars it projected. It hummed and whirred as it tilted on it's insect-like legs. I thought it was creepy as hell and loved the poo poo out of it. It looks and moves like something out of an old 50s horror movie.

Installed in the late 60s, our Planetarium replaced it in the mid-90s with some boring digital projector. It was the end of an era. Zeiss still makes projectors, and some of them are cool as hell. The old Mark I - !V models are dinosaurs. I wonder what happened to them all.

My university still uses one of these and it is awesome. I don't know the model but the control panel looks very 60's.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I remember back in the old Geforce 6 days, I think, someone made a tool which would write a value to a hardware register that would turn on the disabled pixel pipelines that made your 6GT inferior to a 6Ultra. Literally the same chip, but some of the processing power was software disabled.

In the 7 series they made a note to actually laser-cut the pipelines so there was no way to turn them back on, though :(

To be fair, this is very very common and it makes a lot of sense because it gives them a way to use imperfect chips. Chip yields, especially at the beginning of a new line, are very low. Well under 50%. So if you can disable part of the chip to make it functional, boom, you just turned a loss into a cheaper product that you can sell. So sure, you as a consumer could re-enable the pipelines and possibly get a better product for free, but it's possible those pipelines are non-functional and they were disabled for a reason.

Also the 6800gt had all 16 pipes, it was the vanilla 6800 (12 pipe) and the later 6800xt (8 pipe) that people unlocked. Also ati 9500 non-pro to 9500 pro was a popular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Explosionface posted:

Dreamcast games normally had a special track 1 on them saying "Don't be a dumbass and play this in a music player!" Oftentimes even recorded by the voice actor(s) of the game. Some games were cool and you could play their music, though.

A lot of old pc games put the music in regular cd-da tracks. I remember putting the xwing vs tie fighter disc into my cd player to listen to the soundtrack.