Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I appreciate the mp3 player chat because I had a couple, and old mp3 players are kind of neat, although at this point my sandisk sansa which I got in 2008 and still works perfectly is only technically obsolete due to having small internal storage. My first mp3 playing hardware that wasn't my PC was the Creative Nomad II. I still have it although it no longer powers on. Those SmartMedia cards could hold so much data! I could fit an album or two on each one. The microSD card is in frame to show the difference in size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Speaking of SCSI, my HP ScanJet 4C still works with an Adaptec AHA-2940AU SCSI card on a Win 7 32-bit install. I'm considering seeing if Win 10 32-bit will upgrade without driver issues. The HP Deskscan software I'm using is from 1998. I don't use it a lot so there's not a huge impetus to upgrade. It seems like most cheap modern scanners are meant for 8 1/2 x 11" paper and are included with MFC printers. Larger formats are still a bit more of a premium.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kanine posted:

i miss rss feeds

They still exist but I just use them for webcomic updates via feedly and the feedly notifier plugin on chrome.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

T-man posted:

In hell this is the only computer input advice allowed, using a poorly designed on screen keyboard. The B button clears the entire field. Computer programmers write code with them directly carved into themselves.

Stop making me want to buy one more.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

an actual frog posted:

So RMC's latest video is about an adorable little toshiba libretto and honestly I'm struggling to resist the urge to hit up ebay right now :swoon:

I've got one of those with a P75 in it. I used to use it to listen to winamp in my car :shobon:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Buttcoin purse posted:

PCMCIA? Fancy, where my dad worked they did have a PCMCIA slot in their 486 laptop but they used a Xircom parallel port Ethernet adapter that also attached to the keyboard port to get power, I assume because a PCMCIA card cost more?

I think I still have one of those parallel port ethernet adapters. Not sure if I have the drivers but I remember getting it to boot over PoE in university and run a tcp stack in dos so I could get on IRC on a 386 laptop for fun.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I remember my DEC Multia said it could use 2.88MB disks, but I never had one to try. I had read at the time that they were often used for routers. I guess the idea was you could fit a little more configuration on a slightly larger disk.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I probably don't need these in my drawer of useful computer cables. Balls balls balls.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You never know when you need a mouse. Although I keep mine sorted by type/system in boxes.

Well, I never know when I need a mouse.

e: I really want to do an optical conversion for one of my Amiga mouses, to go with my nice-keyboard Amiga. But it costs moneys.

Yeah they're going into the storage box with the DAT drive and stuff. One day I'll have a little more space to set the 386, 486, pentium, pentium II machines with appropriate accessories. I only have three CRTs, though. I have an older serial mouse I like a lot more than those three ps/2 serial compatible mice.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shibawanko posted:

isn't the PS/2 connection for mice and keyboards still perfectly fine, assuming you still have one on your motherboard? those mice might not have good dpi or anything but they might still be serviceable for a mom computer

Yeah they still work, the issue is more that they've got physical balls and nobody wants to put with the maintenance on those any more. I had my mother set up with a yellow steelseries optical mostly because it was a nice color she liked and it was uncomplicated. My dad's got an MX Master and I'm sure he's never used half the buttons on it but he likes it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Humphreys posted:

Well I need Parallel and my PCMCI one shat the bed so only USB one available. In the time since my last post I've tried natively installing Win98SE on my old CF-74 Toughbook but not having any luck getting it to get to desktop :(

I haven't run it but this guy supplied an image for vmware player last year and instructions on getting it all set up. I still have a few PCs that have 98SE installed although it's been a few years since I booted them up.
https://dans-things.com/index.php/2019/08/22/how-to-install-windows-98-second-edition-using-vmware-player/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER makes music with... stuff. This video showcases a vintage chart recorder and he shows a lot of the neat mechatronics in it. He then uses it with music because that's his thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITroUWbhk8

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

One Nut Wonder posted:

I'm pretty sure I have a spindle of DVD-Rs in a box in the garage that I bought in 2006 when I worked at Circuit City. I think it's in the box where I have my extra edition copy of the Chicago Tribune from 9/11.

I keep mine in a cabinet with the CD-Rs, CD-RWs, floppies, cd caddies, and empty cases for when I want to burn something to give to someone. I can't remember the last time I did that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AlternateAccount posted:

Man I used to have a 3X NEC external SCSI cd-rom that was formerly owned by NASA. Had the asset tag and everything. Wtf did I do with it????

I don't know but I have one too that I got for my DEC Alpha multia workstation when I went to college in like '96. Does yours have the rounded door and use caddies too?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh those are awesome, I think they had a couple at the first computer summer job I did. I mostly put token ring cards into PCs and set them up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Hm, i'm gonna have to dig one out and remember what the password is, I know they're pros and one is much bigger and newer than the other. I don't actually care if they end up running whatever OS, just as long as whatever info is on them can be stored away and I can make it stop trying to install flash and erroring out constantly when I try to look at a normal website.

e: i remember the newer one had a hell of a time with youtube and notepad open at once, but it "worked," and the hard drive is like 500 gigs

A friend of mine used this Big Sur micropatcher to get newer MacOS versions loaded on older macs. I don't know enough about them to help but the readme is pretty expansive:
https://github.com/barrykn/big-sur-micropatcher

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

But I want a floppy RAID

Floppy drives have retired and started a band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGfkPCZYfFw

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I have some DDR2 motherboards with modded LGA771 xeons in them with floppy connectors. I think I last used them with Windows 7 but they might take 10. I wonder how Windows 10/11 support for floppies is. Probably fine knowing microsoft.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Sinden lightgun was made to work with LCDs and just came out recently (well, it's shipping soon and there's been review units out). It's on indiegogo and not cheap but by all accounts works great for retro titles.
https://sindenlightgun.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hduEzZdm95Y

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I have had two Sinden lightguns since 2020, and I don't think I would recommend it. The software for it is pretty poor and has been pretty much unchanged in 2 years. You will have to extensively fiddle with the Sinden software, and whatever emulator you want to use.

That sucks, guess I'll hang onto the crts I have in case I ever want to use my lightgun I gave away with my NES.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wibla posted:

The floppy disk guy said that floppies were pretty good between 1985 and 2000, so :v:

If my 25 Windows 95 install disks don't work I'm gonna be SO MAD!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dicty Bojangles posted:

What on earth would be the circumstances in which this would be a wise decision?

Looks like they advertise them for classrooms/testing. I guess that way the row of people behind can't see the screen of the people in front of them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

monolithburger posted:

The whole thing looked cool as gently caress though

I installed one of those at a client's office in '98 or something, it was neat looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I haven't stopped using winamp for 20+ years, I don't see why I'd stop now.