Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Back when the average mp3 player had about 256 meg of memory, I felt so smug for picking up an mp3 CD player: exactly the same as a regular portable CD player, but you could also burn mp3s to a regular CD and play them! Yeah, it was bulky, and trying to find an individual song was an immense pain but I had a bajillion times the songs the rest of you plebeians had with me :smug:

It was actually a lot cheaper than most other mp3 players at the time as well. This was back in about 2004, so if you wanted more than a gig of storage, you were looking at shelling out several hundred for an iPod, whereas the player I bought only cost me around £70: about the same as you'd pay for a decent CD player of the day.

It actually kept me going for a couple of years, until technology moved on and I found I could get a 4gig mp3 player for around £50, and I fully committed to digital ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Behold: The Sega Megazord!

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Game Gear? Pshyeah, who needs that crap when you've got...

Barcode Battler

Wow this is SO rad! I can take barcodes from around the house and create monsters that fight to the death? AWESOME! Wait....it's just a bunch of numbers? This sucks rear end. Mom, I want a Game Gear!

The commercials made it look like all these monster would come alive and start fighting on your kitchen table. I remember being incredibly disappointed when I saw what it actually did.

I got one for Xmas when I was a kid. Wound up buying one off ebay a couple of years back and wondered how I could be so dumb to ask for something like this and not wind up choking to death on my cereal or something. And didn't it take four or six AA batteries? I still have it, but gently caress digging it out.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Wasn't the MD stupidly popular in Japan? I remember hearing it was the fact that it never really took off in the West that killed it as a format.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Factory Factory posted:

I thought it was as much that the PS3 pushed out a huge install base for Blu-Ray players that people could essentially get "for free" with the purchase of a game system. When BD and HD-DVD first came out, the players were something like $1000, so even a $600 console used only as a player was a surprisingly good deal. So, y'know, using a loss-leader to win the format war.

I've heard it argued that it would've taken a hell of a lot longer for DVD to take off if it weren't for the PS2 for the same reasons. Granted, by that point, DVD players had been around for a few years and were a more reasonable price, but that essentially swayed a lot of people towards adopting DVD as a format.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ramadu posted:

What were the alternatives to DVD at the time? I lived through it and I don't even remember. Oh god I'm so old.

It was still really VHS, with people occasionally suggesting CDs as a possible successor. I remember lots of people I knew refusing to part with their movie collections or their videos - you couldn't record live TV with a DVD (at the time), after all. However, after the PS2 came out, people really started to become more comfortable with the idea of replacing their movies for something shinier. The fact that fancier TVs were becoming more affordable to show off your shiny new discs probably didn't hurt either. It may be coincidental, but the two did seem to go hand in hand.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nasgate posted:

Screw Ipods and Zunes, my family used Zen players :smug:
Specifically we all had the Vision M model as seen below. Brother and I had 30 gigs while our mom had the 60 gig version. This was cool because Ipod video players at the time had less storage, worse screens, and were more expensive I believe. Apparently the company is still making mp3 players, but really I don't know anyone else who has owned one or heard of one.

Also i recently received a manual typewriter for my birthday(yes I asked for one) because the internet and solitaire/minesweeper distract me when I use a word processor. The thing is awesome, has both black and red ink strips, makes a cool sound, but weighs a ton and you have to type one letter at a time, which is harder than it sounds.

I had the redesigned 16gig Creative Zen up until about two or three years ago. It was the size of a credit card (which was included as part of their marketing!) and was capable of playing video, listening too the radio and all kinds of other fancy crap! It also had an SD card slot, which was finicky when it came to listening to music (it tended to play everything from either the player OR the card, but never both) but great if you loaded it up with TV shows or whatever. It came with its own video conversion software which reduced the size of a file by about 2/3rds or more so you could get a good number of complete series onto even a gig of space. It was terrible if whatever you were watching was over an hour in length though: whether it was the fault of the player or the software, I could never watch a movie that didn't suffer serious desync issues after more than 20 minutes of play.

What eventually killed it was a simple drop: one fall onto concrete and that was it. Any kind of jolt (or movement, for that matter) caused the player to crash utterly, to the point where even the hard reset function wouldn't work. Not the handiest thing when you're talking about a portable player you keep in your pocket. After that, I finally caved and bought a 120gig ipod off a friend. It's nice being able to take almost my entire music collection with me wherever I go, but the screen on the Zen really beat it by miles.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

mrkillboy posted:

They're coming back into the public consciousness with things like the Pebble getting huge publicity, though now they're paired with smartphones and pretty much act as secondary displays and inputs rather than be standalone devices.

A few years ago I had this thing acting as both my phone and my music player, since I thought it'd be a smart move to have one device that could do both. Sony spent quite a bit of effort trying to keep the Walkman brand alive by releasing a bunch of Walkman branded phones but in retrospect they didn't do that good a job of it. The music player was really slow to use at least on this model, the transfer software tended to do things like inadvertently speed up the audio or cut off the beginnings of songs (thank God you could use Windows explorer) and you could only use the propriety headphone plug that fit into the same port as the charger so you can't listen to music and recharge it at the same time.

It sure looked great though.

I had that and the followup model. The second had a feature where you could get it to play a little flourish when you opened it up. I had one that made it play a noise that sounded like R2D2 falling down some stairs.

I actually got into a semi-argument with a friend over having a phone that doubled up as an mp3 player:she said that having both in one unit was a wonderful convenience. I said I was paranoid that listening to music constantly (as I do when I'm out and about) would kill the battery when I needed it most. That, and if I lose or break my phone, I still have my mp3 player, and vice versa. Neither of us could agree to disagree, so she has her shiny new iphone and I have my ipod (with about 3x the storage space of her phone) and Sony Ericsson W810. We're both happy the way we are.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

redmercer posted:

You call that a brick? Here's a brick:

I had that. On the pro side, it sounded great and the built-in FM transmitter worked like a charm. On the other hand, it was kind of temperamental and, well, just look at that thing.

That looks like a Dreamcast VMU had sex with a breeze block.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm going to go a step further: dedicated gaming machines. Home and handheld consoles aren't allowed to play games anymore, they have to do everything else too. I appreciate my consoles being able to play DVDs and video files, but past that, the usefulness of stuff like GPS, 3D cameras, hell, even the ability to update Facebook trails off sharply.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Fuzz1111 posted:

You recall correctly, you could probably use a hammer on the play/rewind switch without doing damage. Still precise enough that the thing played cassette tape at perfect speed (and if you were careful, it was gentle enough not to stretch the tape even though it was far weaker than it what it was designed for).
This is something that really pissed me off about the PS3, they used the media centre angle to try and sell it, and while it had all the hardware, the software means that my galaxy s2 is a better media centre in every single way. There's absolutely no reason the PS3 should be so limited in the container formats it plays or its multitasking ability (even just being able to download anything I like in the background would be a large improvement).

Considering how prevalent and popular, say, the .mkv format is, you'd think adding that to the PS3/60 would be a no-brainer, but noooo...

There's a weird feeling when the little portable media player that plugs into your TV you got for £30 last week is, technically speaking, better at the home media thing than the £200 monolithic wunder-console.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

RagnarokAngel posted:

I missed the part where these optional features in any way hinder your ability to play games?

Edit: And don't say cost because counting for inflation games are cheaper than ever.

They don't? My point was that consoles and handhelds seem to have 'plays games really well' as less of a priority these days. I've heard it argued that the Vita would probably be more appealing if it wasn't bogged down with so much crap, and the 360 menu is more cumbersome since they redesigned it with Kinect in mind. They're trying to cram as many extra features in without actually asking if it makes the package any more attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

'What happens when goths discover brown' is always my favourite description of it. Then I feel sad because I actually like steampunk...