Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

(A faxed signature is as good legally as an original, but scanned/emailed signatures aren't.)

This is not universal. Then again, neither is still using faxes. (A scanned and copy-pasted signature is not legally binding, though.)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Jul 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bonzo posted:

Oh! And we have Canabalt running on a C64.

http://pcmuseum.ca/gallery/0712-01-750.JPG

So where's the obsolete bit? :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I thought that cheques were an obsolete technology.

I've probably posted this in some thread but: "We don't accept cheques because no-one uses cheques" (Sign I saw on a cash register in 1998)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teletext is obsolete you say? Luckily you can browse Teksti-TV even if you don't have a TV. Here, have a Teksti-TV page about the weekly news in Latin, through the web, in 2012. http://www.yle.fi/tekstitv/html/P365_01.html

EDIT: Holy poo poo they're developing web-based Teksti-TV: http://beta.yle.fi/uber_teksti-tv/ Got to love tax-funded broadcasting.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Aug 3, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DirtyWorker posted:

What about this baby?

I still want one. And a BeBox.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know...people keep saying they should be obsolete, but if you have something that is already a physical copy, and doesn't have a digital copy (because someone had to sign it, or it's a bunch of receipts for an expense report,)and/or you need to send it to someone else who also needs it as a physical copy, faxing is easier than the sender scanning it, attaching it to an email, sending it, and then the receiver printing it.

Most office copiers these days will do all that automatically (well, at least all the ones I've seen in use recently). They'll also fax it if you want.

Actually, the cheapo Canon scanner I got in 1998 will do it automatically if you set it up that way but it'll need to be connected to a computer, of course.

Also, faxes really often render documents unreadable because of low resolution and poo poo so you'll have to call back to check everything anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can use some electric typewriters as printers (TAKATAKATAKATAKATAKATAKA). My dad used one back in the early nineties, I think it was a Triumph-Adler (or at least the interface box had TA on it).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mystes posted:

Do people still use rubber cement, for example to attach paper to posterboard? Do kids these days still know that you can form it into balls? If not, this is truly a tragic loss.

So how does this differ from, you know, glue?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

The technology of the Virtual Boy was probably better suited for arcades than any sort of home system, where gameplay is limited to minutes and it could expand the capabilities of the design to perhaps expand beyond monochrome graphics, or allow for a degree of head movement in controlling gameplay.

The problem with arcade use was that onlookers couldn't see poo poo and that was considered (probably correctly) bad for business.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zereth posted:

Time Reversal Cube

Are you a Knower of 4 corner simultaneous 24 hour Days that occur within a single 4 corner rotation of Earth?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Also, how about console TVs and stereos that were made to look like, and blend in as pieces of living room furniture?

Blend in in a Soviet-era gently caress dungeon, perhaps.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Landerig posted:

Make a version that will do coffee and that'd be a smash hit over here in the USA.

It's just a small coffee maker. Apparently they sell them as tea makers in the UK (big surprise there). The Philips I have looks exactly the same, even the cups that came with it.

So you can make coffee with it and it's not a big hit in the USA so you're a liar!

Found a picture of the model I have - apparently it's not obsolete, though, since Philips is still selling the Duo, albeit in a more modern guise.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Sep 15, 2012

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Of course you can just load up a full-size coffee maker with only one (or two) cups of water and a small amount of coffee/tea and it will do exactly the same thing in exactly the same time.

And it's not that much bigger. So while it may not be obsolete, it should be.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pokey Araya posted:

If I had a dollar for every machine I found in an obscure place, that almost nobody knew about/knew what it did, running and storing critical information, running Windows XP for a business with no back up what so ever, I would have about $87.

The worst are old laptops relegated to server duty because they're so god drat small that they can physically get pretty much lost.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tears In A Vial posted:

There's a reason we haven't set up bank transfers and direct debiting and stuff, but I can't remember what it is...

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is there to "set up" for bank transfers?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Donkwich posted:

Does Europe still have a lot of paternosters?

In warehouses, yes.
For people, I think there might be one in the Finnish parliament house.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The funny thing about this factoid is that I learned it from a Bill Bryson book.

Bill Bryson should be obsolete and failed (I've only ever read the first ten pages of one of his books and every page had at least one "I can't be arsed to check facts" sort of glaring error).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tears In A Vial posted:

It's also the only escalator on the whole network which leads UP from street level, to the platform.

???

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Newsflash: Almost every joystick out there back in the day was sold in different (and non-different) colour and button configurations by about 5000 companies under various names. Especially that one ^^^

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SimplyCosmic posted:

Talk of CDs made me suddenly nostalgic for the days when you would buy magazines for the CD full of software they came with.

I only did this once and the CD had Fallout on it. I had no idea what I was getting.

(Also, I listened to my Minidisc player this morning in the bus since I still haven't found my Itunes after moving because it's so loving small.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WebDog posted:

They went as far as to try and put a patent out on "Trash" but lost all court cases save the one defining the appearance and name of the icon. Thus everything else nowadays is called something like "recycle bin".

I always liked OS/2's shredder which just destroyed the files. (Speaking of obsolete technology...)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's one alarmed-looking cassette drive.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zemyla posted:

Remember how wireless remote controlled cars had two frequencies, 27 MHz and 49 MHz, and you had to get two of them with different frequencies if you had two kids?

I think the non-lovely ones had a switch to select the frequency?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lot of Nokia phones from this age (and a bit older) are still in regular use. Working in (well, in the vicinity of) heavy industry I see a lot of people using them at work, probably due to superior microphones/speakers and reception compared to modern phones and, of course, the fact that if you break one you can probably replace it for free.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

movax posted:

That and its lack of camera makes it a good option for industry!

Taking photographs is prohibited anyway, yeah.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DNova posted:

Well, ok, how about this for obsolete technology: Telephone Calls.

How would those be obsolete?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

^^^ What he said

The only things that could replace phone calls are video phone calls (nope) and meeting in person. And since the telephone was basically invented to facilitate real-time voice communication in instances where meeting face-to-face was not feasible, welp...

If you think instant messaging, text chat, or e-mail serves the same purpose as voice communications then I don't know what to tell you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DNova posted:

It was kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Oh, well, you never know these days. Some people seriously consider keyboards obsolete (although now it's touch control and not voice control like 15 years ago) or actually believe PCs are going to go away at some point.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Killer robot posted:

Yeah. Which makes it exactly like storing your piss in bottles apparently.

A cardboard box will hold an infinite amount of piss, given time :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Somehow dumping razorblades inside walls seems like a really strange idea, but I guess the houses weren't expected to last for centuries so they figured they couldn't fill up.

500 years worth of razor blades would probably still fit nicely into a wall section assuming there's space all the way from chest-level to floor-level.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Like an actual beep from a speaker or just a motor noise that sounded like a beep?

Oh man it's hard to describe unless you've experienced it. That 20 meg drive (I'm assuming it's the same model as in the 286 XT) would positively SING. The video really doesn't do it justice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Exit Strategy posted:

I did this, minus the suspension. I'm pretty sure nobody in authority was even AWARE it was illegal.

Most people over the age of forty do not understand the concept of paying for things you can do/get with your computer for free.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Split flap alarm clocks are the best. What better place for an appliance that makes a sound every minute than your night stand.

They do look really cool though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I remember correctly the drives could also read and write regular 9 cm floppies which always struck me as oddly sensible for a storage medium.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's cool until that one time you wake up in the middle of the night, see the time hasn't changed, and freak out because you're still half-asleep and think time has stopped.

Unless the numbers are glow-in-the-dark you won't see the time anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DNova posted:

Split-flap clocks had small incandescent lamps inside to illuminate the digits.

Oh drat of course. Actually, now that I think about it, probably all alarm clocks of a certain period used to have those - unless they were glow-in-the-dark.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Old James posted:

April 40, 2012?

Yes, it's obviously a nixie tube calendar.

Question: Do those things get hot?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tsuru posted:

It also looks about as aerodynamic as a pile of bricks.

The train, that is.

A pile of bricks is very aerodynamic once it gets a good running start.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Germstore posted:

He's not entirely wrong. It's just now the quote would be between two godzilla or 1024 oxen.

1024 oxen with plows would plow a field a hell of a lot faster than two godzillas with plows though.

Oh, wait, :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's the computer industry. Every technology loses sooner or later.

For the past fifteen years I've been told the PC is dead every year, all of the year. Oh hey - it's my favourite obsolete and failed technology, it just still happens to be dominant but that's just a minor detail.