Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Guy 1 : Oh jeez, I wish we could model awesome and detailed environments in our videogames, but this is the 90s and everything sucks.
Guy 2 : If only there was a way to have the environment take up as little memory and computing power as possible while still have it look good so we could use all that saved up power to do nicer thing with those lovely consoles and horrible PCs.
God himself : Have you considered 2d pre-rendered backgrounds ?

Seriously though, I love the idea behind that tech. Painstakingly modelize every environment from a combination of photos, 3d rendering, drawings and whatnot, convert it into a 2d picture, define how it is supposed to work (ie : this is a wall so you can't go through it, this is the floor so you'll most likely stand on it, once you go through this invisible line, something happens...), integrate some 3d models of your characters and you're done.

Basically, it means beautiful scenery on somewhat lackluster hardware :

Parasite Eve 2 and Resident Evil 3, on the PS1

Onimusha 2 on the PS2

Resident Evil Rebirth on the Gamecube

Seriously, it looks gorgeous. Of course, there are several limitations on what this tech can do : For instance, the camera will never move (and when it is positioned in an awkward place, it pretty much creates a blindspot, just ask anyone who played one of the early REs), it only works well with certain types of games like survival horrors, RPGs or Point&Click Adventure games(I can't really imagine anything too action-y working well). Nevertheless, I still find it extremely cool, and if I had anything like programing skills and storytelling talent, I guess I'd do some game/tribute to a bygone era and ask for financing on kickstarter.

Tangentially related to the previous subject (by a very long shot) : MO disks. They kind of look like the bastard child of floppy and a CD , and they can hold up to over 9G of data which makes them perfectly appropriate for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU