Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kopiko
May 8, 2011

Who remembers Electronic Organizers?

Back in the days before mobile phones, these were all the rage for storing friends' phone numbers and dates and times of appointments. Except they weren't. Since there were no mobile phones the few phone numbers of the pitiful amount of friends you were on calling terms with could easily memorized. If you did need to take down someones number, finding a pen and piece of paper was less hassle than powering on your electronic organizer and fiddling clumsily with tiny buttons through the slow archaic process of entering the name and number, and getting it to save properly. The interface was always so unintuitive just about every model of had reminder instructions printed inside the lid. I had one of these things for none other than the fact it was a thing with an LCD screen and lots of buttons. I'd be interested to know if anyone owned one and actually found them useful.

I also had one in watch form

This is a bit more useful because it can tell the time and has an alarm and stopwatch. Again, the phone number storing feature went totally unused, especially since the keyboard was practically impossible to use. You basically had to stab the buttons really hard with a sharp fingernail or pen, which was also a pretty good way to damage it with pen/stab marks. Regardless, to school kids it looked cool as gently caress and got me props in class :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kopiko
May 8, 2011

Creature posted:

The special edition of Foo Fighters 'There Is Nothing Left To Lose' came with a VCD of all the videos. Took me weeks of searching for software to play it. Never saw another one.

I didn't discover VCDs until 2004 when I got given a Studio Ghibli box set from Malaysia. It took me ages to figure out how to get them to play and when I did I thought the audio was defective, until I realized that left channel audio was Cantonese and right was Japanese and to disable whichever speaker to get the language you wanted. Apparently VCDs were popular in Asia, possibly to due their ease of piracy (specifically, ease of transporting pirated merchandise, VCDs being much less bulkier than video cassettes).

kopiko
May 8, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

I loving love my maglite. And it's nice to know that I could bludgeon someone with it if need be.

D-cells may no longer be the optimum choice in powering high-end flashlights but those fancy schmancy CR123A's don't even come close in terms of bludgeoning power.

Anyone still use NiCd rechargeable batteries? I hope not. As well as suffering from the Memory Effect they generally just sucked for high drain devices. I have childhood memories of foolishly thinking NiCd batteries were the sustainable solution to my Citizen ST555 handheld TV needs, only for them to be drained in about 4 minutes.

Also, handheld TV's

I suppose they were kinda fun but little more than a gimmicky gadget. I soldered a cable from the TV modulator output of my Amiga to the metal antenna, tuned it in and had a simulation of what an Amiga handheld would have been like :science: